Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Schools (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools-31/)
-   -   Community College (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools/33883-community-college.html)

dobry4u 05-14-2008 02:48 PM

Community College

Could you tell me what your thoughts are on going to truck driving school through a community college?

Thank you for your time.

dle 05-14-2008 05:45 PM

They are generally less expensive.

Some are a part of a "national' school eg Sage.

With a community college, some state money may be available.

I can't tell you if they would be better or not. I went to a community college.

dobry4u 05-14-2008 09:58 PM

Thanks for you thoughts, dle. Very appreciated

Allen Smith 05-26-2008 11:55 PM

Re: Community College

Community College without question. Normally cheaper, better truck/instructor ratio, better training. Cost is the main issue...save money, yet receive higher quality training.....community college is the best way to go.....

Soladad 05-27-2008 05:08 AM

If you told us what part of the country you are in there might be a few suggestions on schools. I went through a community college program. Felt good my first year out with the training I received.

Allen Smith 06-22-2008 06:24 PM

Votech training

It is the BEST way to receive training. Usually less expensive, better truck to student ratio, and trainer to student ratio. Would recommend Votech training over company "school."

kwdriver122 07-11-2008 01:28 AM

Community College or a Vo-Tech is the way to go. First of all it will be cheaper than a private driving school. Second, your diploma will garner more rspect from prospective employers than one from a CDL mill. Last but not least, they may actually teach you how to drive a truck as opposed to teaching you how to pass a test.

Allen Smith 07-23-2008 04:05 PM

Re: Community College

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobry4u
Could you tell me what your thoughts are on going to truck driving school through a community college?

Thank you for your time.

It is the BEST choice you could make for truck driver training. Not only is it usually cheaper, but the training is better.....if time will allow you to attend a community college, my suggestion is go for it....Good Luck!

wolfmanjaks 03-29-2009 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Smith (Post 395022)
It is the BEST choice you could make for truck driver training. Not only is it usually cheaper, but the training is better.....if time will allow you to attend a community college, my suggestion is go for it....Good Luck!

I am starting Central Tech in Drumright Ok. on April 15th and will go with Conway truckload after school. My cost is about $1500.00 or so maybe less. I looked all over and this was MY best deal I could find and made the most sense to me. I am gong to put in 1 year to get the experience then if I need to I will move on. Look around and see what makes the best sense for you then do it. All sizes don't fit everyone what is good for you is not good for the next one. Do your home work and make your mind up and do it.

Bruces 07-09-2010 02:15 PM

I attended a community college truck driver training course and found it to be very good the instructor to student ratio was 1 inst. to 3 students.