Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Schools (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools-31/)
-   -   Is there a CDL school near Springfield, MO with weekend clas (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools/31764-there-cdl-school-near-springfield-mo-weekend-clas.html)

lownote2 01-10-2008 11:04 PM

Is there a CDL school near Springfield, MO with weekend clas

Any input from anyone here would be appreciated. (advice/etc..)
Here is my situation.. It's time for a career change. While I don't hate my current job, I have no insurance and no retirement at all set up. I'm 37, so I still have plenty of years to work.
While driving truck seems to have it's advantages and disadvantages I'm really leaning towards a career. Most companies seem to have decent benefits and 401K.. profit sharing etc.

Here is my problem. Most schools offered by companies are 3 weeks with no pay and then pretty low pay after that until you start driving. I can't seem to find any company that actually pays you for your time training (and I understand that). But I also cannot afford 3 weeks with no pay since my paycheck is the majority of our families income.

I have been looking, but cannot seem to find any places locally (even within 1-200 miles) that offer weekend classes. Does anybody know of a way I could obtain a CDL around here in Missouri with weekend training?

There is a local tech college that offers weekend training (when enough students are interested). The cost is $2700 which isn't bad, but I don't have that kind of money right now and student loans are not an option. I may just start putting as much as I can aside and it may take awhile but that option wouldn't be bad if I could get a job with someone. At least that way I wouldn't be going through one of the company schools and stuck driving for them for a year like it or not.

I wouldn't company trainging, it's just that I can't go 3 weeks without pay financially.

Any suggestions?

Crunchyknees 01-14-2008 05:51 AM

Re: Is there a CDL school near Springfield, MO with weekend

Quote:

Originally Posted by lownote2
Any input from anyone here would be appreciated. (advice/etc..)
Here is my situation.. It's time for a career change. While I don't hate my current job, I have no insurance and no retirement at all set up. I'm 37, so I still have plenty of years to work.
While driving truck seems to have it's advantages and disadvantages I'm really leaning towards a career. Most companies seem to have decent benefits and 401K.. profit sharing etc.

Here is my problem. Most schools offered by companies are 3 weeks with no pay and then pretty low pay after that until you start driving. I can't seem to find any company that actually pays you for your time training (and I understand that). But I also cannot afford 3 weeks with no pay since my paycheck is the majority of our families income.

I have been looking, but cannot seem to find any places locally (even within 1-200 miles) that offer weekend classes. Does anybody know of a way I could obtain a CDL around here in Missouri with weekend training?

There is a local tech college that offers weekend training (when enough students are interested). The cost is $2700 which isn't bad, but I don't have that kind of money right now and student loans are not an option. I may just start putting as much as I can aside and it may take awhile but that option wouldn't be bad if I could get a job with someone. At least that way I wouldn't be going through one of the company schools and stuck driving for them for a year like it or not.

I wouldn't company trainging, it's just that I can't go 3 weeks without pay financially.

Any suggestions?

Lownote

I live up in St.ouis. U ought to look into CFI. They have a special program where They give you 1000 to defray the expense of the school. U then have to go through their training program and then drop one load for them. U can quit at that time and thats all your commitment. By the way, the best deal for a CDL license for a Missourian is Arkansas State University at Newport. Its only 1400 bucks for a straight 3 week program.

lownote2 01-15-2008 12:35 AM

Haven't heard that about CFI.. I'll check it out. Seems too good to be true though.
Arkansas for $1400... that's not bad at all, but do you have to be a resident for that price?

Crunchyknees 01-15-2008 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lownote2
Haven't heard that about CFI.. I'll check it out. Seems too good to be true though.
Arkansas for $1400... that's not bad at all, but do you have to be a resident for that price?

No, its amazing deal. Good school too. It was a PTDI school at one time . I Went down there to check it out.
Crowder college is the best program in Missouri but its like 3000. Its kinda close to you. Its in Neosho MO. Also a CFI training school. Check out the CFI program on the CFI forum. The recruiters name is Christine I think. Ive been wanting to attend ASU but dont think my car would make it again. Waiting till springtime.