Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Schools (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools-31/)
-   -   Looking for the best school. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools/29399-looking-best-school.html)

Molson 09-02-2007 05:10 PM

Looking for the best school.

I live in NJ and want to be a OTR trucker. I want to know, what would be the absolute best school to go to? I don't care where I have to go or how much I have to spend to do it. Is there such a thing as a private trainer to hire?

Again, I just want the best possible schooling to get my CDL.

reiner 09-02-2007 08:19 PM

Central Tech, Oklahoma

eastern ontario 09-02-2007 08:59 PM

Re: Looking for the best school.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molson
I live in NJ and want to be a OTR trucker. I want to know, what would be the absolute best school to go to? I don't care where I have to go or how much I have to spend to do it. Is there such a thing as a private trainer to hire?

Again, I just want the best possible schooling to get my CDL.

Molson, you will invariably receive many recommendations about different schools. I suggest that you investigate each of them and then make your short list of possible top 5 or 3. Once you have, visit each of them and select one from that list.

BOL to you.

greg3564 09-02-2007 10:58 PM

You shouldn't spend any more than $4-5000 for school. If you can find a school that is PTDI certified, that would be a plus and opens up some of the better companies to hire you.

http://www.ptdi.org/

Ridge Runner 09-03-2007 12:50 AM

Ok, I have to throw a little twist in here. :lol: I wouldn't worry as much about the school as I would the company ( trainer ) that I went with AFTER I had my CDL. Why you may ask? Well........ first off; they are NOT a truck driving school, they are a CDL school. They don't really teach you how to drive a truck, they teach you how to get your CDL. It is important to go to a quality school and learn all you can ( they are only going to teach you enough to pass the test ) I think it is MORE important how you are trained AFTER you get your CDL and hired on to a company. That is where you will learn to DRIVE A TRUCK.

Just my humble ( maybe ) opinion,

Ridge

Molson 09-03-2007 01:18 AM

Thanks for your opinions, much appreciated!

Are there some specific companies out there that you think produce good drivers in training? Just from reading, it seems there are some I should just stay the hell away from.

Colts Fan 09-03-2007 01:21 AM

Okay. Now do you have a list of companies that offer great training after CDL school? Or, when we talk to prospective employers, what questions should we ask about their training?

Ridge Runner 09-03-2007 01:39 AM

While I can't give you a list of companies I will say this: ALL training should be done with the trainer in the jump seat while you drive.( Nothing wrong tho with him giving you a couple hrs. break now and then with him driving and you watching and learning ). In other words, the truck should be dispatched as a "solo" operation, NOT a team operation. This ( teaming ) in VERY common in the industry. You can't learn much from a trainer with him in the sleeper.

[quote]Are there some specific companies out there that you think produce good drivers in training? Just from reading, it seems there are some I should just stay the hell away from.[/quote]

This would be a very good question for the " What about this company" forum. :wink:

wildbill 09-05-2007 07:30 PM

4 week course vs 20 week course - same school

Obviously a 20 week school should be better than a 4 week school but is it worth the difference (about $3500) in price and time to attend the 20 weeker? School has been in operation for more than 30 years so I assume they are doing something right.

The 20 week course gives 3 1/2 weeks of classroom work and then 16 weeks of driving according to the recruiter/counselor.

Fozzy 09-05-2007 07:50 PM

Who can afford to go through 5 months of schooling for a job that will pay little to nothing for the first six months to a year??