Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Schools (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools-31/)
-   -   Werner School (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools/24355-werner-school.html)

Doughboy70 01-29-2007 07:22 PM

Werner School

Hey guys. I got accepted by Werner and they want to send me to school at Central Community College in Hastings, Nebraska. Has anyone heard about this school good or bad?

Big Jon 01-29-2007 07:49 PM

I haven't had experience at the school, but in doing some research (I'm a newbie here, too) I do know Crete takes their grads, so it's probably good enough to drop the $2,000.

Reason I say that... in talking to their recruiter, Crete was a little persnickety about what schools they will hire from, and prefer PTDI-certified schools "or equivalent." for hiring new drivers. Central is not PTDI-certified, but they are on Crete's "Nebraska Driving Schools" list. The other two are Southeast Community College in Lincoln and Metro Community College in Omaha.

I believe Werner also takes grads of JTL Driving School and Custom Diesel in Omaha. I imagine Werner would take Southeast and Metro, but they're longer timewise. I think Southeast is about 10 weeks, and Metro is 6-8 weeks. If I recall, Southeast was the cheapest, if you're not in a hurry and live, or can stay in, Lincoln for the duration of the class.

Good luck with Werner if you go that route.

Doughboy70 01-29-2007 07:54 PM

Thanks for the info Big Jon. Werner is my plan b choice as I am hoping to go with TMC. But if they don't hire me I might go with Werner. Do you think Crete would send me to school? I have heard they are a good company.

Pappa Jake 01-30-2007 12:15 AM

Werner School

Stay away from Werner, look for other options or companies.

Big Jon 01-30-2007 01:02 AM

Re: Werner School

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappa Jake
Stay away from Werner, look for other options or companies.

I was trying to be diplomatic. Now, I've never driven for Werner and I'm sure it's fine for some folks. But, based on what I've seen on these trucking forums... well, it's one of those "where there's smoke, there's fire" kinda things, and there's enough others I hear good things about.

TMC is one of them. Hopefully you can get on with them. Let us know. Crete's another. As far as I know, Crete doesn't pay for school, or offer reimbursement. There's some Crete drivers on here, maybe they can confirm that.

Good luck.

Jon

Piece Of Work 03-09-2007 08:00 PM

I spent my first year and CDL driving job at Werner. I just didn't know about anyone else. When I hired on at CFI, I found out that they hire students also, but it was too late for me of course. CFI is the best company for a new driver, much better than Werner in my opinion. One big reason is that Werner has electronic logs which eliminate cheating. If you drive over just a little bit, the Safety Dept will call you in at a terminal and waste an entire day of yours (and eveyone else's in line) explaining thier policies to you over and over. Werner is a training company. CFI trains you to be a successfull driver, not a successfull student driver. CFI is the way to go.

glasman2 03-09-2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piece Of Work
CFI is the best company for a new driver, much better than Werner in my opinion. One big reason is that Werner has electronic logs which eliminate cheating. If you drive over just a little bit, the Safety Dept will call you in at a terminal and waste an entire day of yours (and eveyone else's in line) explaining thier policies to you over and over. Werner is a training company. CFI trains you to be a successfull driver, not a successfull student driver. CFI is the way to go.

Soooo... Your saying..... If you want to run illegal and cheat the books, CFI is the company to work for?

:withstupid:

Piece Of Work 03-10-2007 07:14 PM

You know what I mean.

Anonymous 05-06-2007 10:24 PM

Stay away from Werner If they dont have the trucks avail. when you finish there training you have to stay with a trainer untill they get the trucks avail. And dont take the phase 2 with the 500 bonus at the end, If they dont have trucks you will be a good canidate to be canned.

Jason607 05-13-2007 10:45 AM

Yeah, stay away from werner.... go get a job at McDonnalds, if you work even similar hours, you'll make more money and be home everynight.