Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Schools (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools-31/)
-   -   How to get money for school ??? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools/21863-how-get-money-school.html)

okie 11-02-2006 02:53 PM

How to get money for school ???

I have seen this topic before and nobody offered anything worthwhile but thought I would try again. I do not want to go company paid, way to many horror stories. I tried the WIA route this week, I was shut down before even getting started. It appears that if you have an income you do not qualify. It was explained to me that I was at the appropriate " :shock: poverty level :shock: " income to qualify. However, the mere fact that I have an income DQ'ed my attempt. Perhaps I can give DHS a try. The WIA lady suggested I could choose a company paid training, but why be on the hook for $6000-$7000 when all I need to go to Central Tech is under $2000 in-state. I am pretty sure all the Student Grants and Loans are out of reach, due to a few years of bad/low pay back of college loans. Due to unemployment and underemployment several years back. Anybody have any suggestions?

Zonian 11-03-2006 08:45 PM

I am assuming that you are a resident of the state of Oklahoma and if that is the case, you can qualify for free training with a number of OK based carriers, certainly with my company (Arrow Trucking).

The deal is, you supply the money for your room and board (1 months rent in the town with the school is about $400) and the trucking company does the full DOT background check. You are more or less obligated to stay with us one year before we will issue you your diploma.

If you have any questions, you can PM me your email and I will email you an app, etc. Good Luck.

okie 11-06-2006 01:33 PM

????

Should I move this to a more active forum?

okie 12-02-2006 12:00 PM

I guess their is no easy answer...

Many have suggested on PM to bite the "training company" bullet, and just put in the year. I do not want to do that. To many horror stories on this and other boards. I had a heart to heart with the wife about using a portion of our tax refund next spring to pay for CDL school, she is on board and supportive. However, with the transmission going out last week in the van... that plan is all but shot to hell. I live in proximity to Central Tech and that is where I want to go. My parents live 30-45 minutes from there so I can commute. Their has to be some government program out there. My job does not really allow for a 2nd job, with swing shift and rotating days off. I said this a year ago, "maybe next year." Looks like I am going to have to say it again, as the tow truck comes to get the van today.

Jawila 12-02-2006 05:59 PM

I know the struggle for money. Keep positive and persist, and a way will open up to you.
I was trying to start a business this last summer, and then worked just a few months after that. In those three months I worked I almost made too much money to qualify for WIA voucher! You have to be destitute to qualify.

Can you get a credit card? Credit cards are okay if you are disciplined. Used wisely, they can actually improve your credit score.

All the best.

syl77dar 12-02-2006 06:10 PM

goodluck

goodluck

okie 12-03-2006 04:14 AM

thanks for the input...

I prefer to stay with Central Tech for training. They are PTDI certified and the 2 companies I short list require that. As for credit cards, we paid them off and cut them up. My wife was layed off from WorldCom 3 years ago after 12 years service. We used her severance to pay credit card and car off so she could be a stay at home mom.

Jawila 12-03-2006 05:18 AM

Cool. I know most people, including myself, do not like credit cards.

Try this: Head over to your state employment service, and try to find out if you qualify for a WIA voucher. If so, it will pay the total cost of your schooling. It's worth a shot, at least. Thats how I'm going to attend. I too need PTDI certification for the companies I'd like to work for.

kjax 12-03-2006 08:54 AM

The feds handed out about $1M in grant money, I think around the beginning of Oct. It covers half of the tuition, for those that qualify. I don't know what the legislation is that made the money available, but do know Sage Technical received about $211K of $990K (I think it was). Give 'em a call and see what you can find out about that grant money. It will go fast. I don't know which companies got their hands on the grant money- just the one I mentioned.

Jawila 12-04-2006 12:29 AM

Sorry about the my last post here. :oops: You already tried the WIA thing.

Soladad 12-07-2006 03:06 AM

Go talk to the school you want to attend. There are people there to help students figure out how to pay for the training. Use the resources available.

Soladad

street_95 12-07-2006 04:01 AM

yes its company sponsored training, but they are a not one of the huge companies you hear neg. crap about everyday.....they will pay for everything with the one yr commitment, just research and i'd bet you wont find much negativity if any. they have about 400+ trucks. give em a check..based out of ft. worth

street_95 12-07-2006 04:02 AM

LISA motor lines is the company who im speaking of.....

Quadzy 12-08-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawila
In those three months I worked I almost made too much money to qualify for WIA voucher! You have to be destitute to qualify.

That's not exactly true. My household income including my wife is over 50K. I went through WIA with a college degree, law enforcement certificate, and a job at the time. It's there you just have to be persistant no destitute.

okie 12-09-2006 10:38 PM

I think I figured it out....

When I was talking to the lady on the phone about WIA getting know where. She was telling me since I had a job, (although at poverty line with 4 in the family and 1 salary) it was a waste of gas coming to office to fill out paper work I would not get it. Now I remember, during our phone conversation my maid interrupted to ask how much starch I would like in my collar. The WIA lady may have over heard. Or maybe it was when my broker called on the other line and I said 250 K from Zurich acct. to buy Goggle stock, but call waiting did not work so accidentally told that to WIA lady. You all have convinced me, no more phone calls. I am going down in person to check this out. I appreciate everyones help and input.

Fozzy 12-10-2006 01:04 AM

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3.../trukinbum.jpg

fishnwiz 12-11-2006 11:46 PM

Have you checked with CFI? As I understand it they use Central tech in Drumright and will pay 600 dollars toward you tuition without any obligation. I think there thought is if you start with then you will like it enough to stay. This is not from an offical with CFI just what I have picked up from message boards. There is a website/message board called CFIDRIVERS.com if you are interested in learning more.

okie 12-21-2006 04:57 AM

Maybe a glimmer of hope now...

Well I gave up on the phone dead ends I was getting. Went down on a "cold call" to the local employment office today. My head busting with info obtained from over a year of researching this and other forums. Spoke one on one with a WIA lady, she seemed to think I had a great shot at getting WIA grant funding. She was impressed with all I knew about trucking, schooling, company sponsored messes, etc. Seemed like she was willing to help me out given my current situation. I appreciate all the input from each of you. I think it helps to go into a situation having a clue of what you have to do, can speak with confidence on the subject at hand that you are wanting help with. The information on this forum and others that you all give is priceless. I had done all the background I could so we would not have to start from nothing and could start working on the problem. Hopefully we can get this rolling.

mmiikkee 12-25-2006 05:18 AM

Re: I think I figured it out....

Quote:

Originally Posted by okie
When I was talking to the lady on the phone about WIA getting know where. She was telling me since I had a job, (although at poverty line with 4 in the family and 1 salary) it was a waste of gas coming to office to fill out paper work I would not get it. Now I remember, during our phone conversation my maid interrupted to ask how much starch I would like in my collar. The WIA lady may have over heard. Or maybe it was when my broker called on the other line and I said 250 K from Zurich acct. to buy Goggle stock, but call waiting did not work so accidentally told that to WIA lady. You all have convinced me, no more phone calls. I am going down in person to check this out. I appreciate everyones help and input.

LOL
this sounds like the original 1977 movie fun with dick & jane!!!

AsphaltBound 12-29-2006 09:40 PM

Re: Maybe a glimmer of hope now... WIA

Quote:

Well I gave up on the phone dead ends I was getting. Went down on a "cold call" to the local employment office today. My head busting with info obtained from over a year of researching this and other forums. Spoke one on one with a WIA lady, she seemed to think I had a great shot at getting WIA grant funding. She was impressed with all I knew about trucking, schooling, company sponsored messes, etc. Seemed like she was willing to help me out given my current situation. I appreciate all the input from each of you. I think it helps to go into a situation having a clue of what you have to do, can speak with confidence on the subject at hand that you are wanting help with. The information on this forum and others that you all give is priceless. I had done all the background I could so we would not have to start from nothing and could start working on the problem. Hopefully we can get this rolling.

WIA is the way I went, they want you to be fully aware of the career choice your making. They get more funds when people succeed at their program. They want you to do a career research thing with personal interviews of those that are already in the field. For the funding of CDL school the hoops you have to jump through are worth it. CDL schools survive of WIA government programs. They even give them discounts on the cost. Plus the lady who helped me wanted me to have hazmat and tanker endorsements because my employability would increase. What ever hoop you need to jump through do it. For your families sake, stop putting it off, or it will never come.

BOL.

syl77dar 12-30-2006 07:05 PM

then u can afford to pay 4 your own school

u can afford 2 pay 4 your own school

bigpetesbee 03-24-2007 10:05 PM

money for school

hey okie did you try the federal government like a stafford loan i am trying to go that route you can apply online at fafsa.com the repayment is like $50 a month and if you get on with a company that offers tuition reimbursment your golden i myself am looking at lisa transportation they offer idleaire

Piece Of Work 03-26-2007 04:03 AM

Good luck finding your financing. Check out CFI!! I WISH we had our own schools.

okie 03-26-2007 11:01 PM

Update

I actually talked to my WIA lady today. She finally got my "financial needs" paperwork from Central Tech today. Guess it was sent to the Tech School part of Central Tech not the Trucking School. So the request sat on her desk for awhile versus her putting 2 and 2 together and not taking it down the hall or across the lawn to them. She was out of the office at other campuses for a few weeks then on vacation for Spring Break, etc. Finally figured out, Hey this needs to go to Driver training. Low and behold after Truck training gets it it takes two days for WIA lady to get it. In all the confusion/misplacement it has caused me to miss out on the April 4th class I had planned to attend. So it looks like May 16th now. In that time my college degree has paid off well here at work. I have a BS in Safety and Security Minor. The Director of Security job comes open, I am the only degree they got out of 25 people 8) . They hire a guy I trained :shock: 7 years ago, I have been here 10. It is true "it is not what you know it is who you know." It gets better, they took him off 3rd Shift to go to the Directors job. I will give ya two guesses who is going to replace his 3rd Shift spot :cry: I will not even get into the scheduling nightmare he was those first few months he started with his court ordered AA meetings and such. Yep he was a naughty boy prior to be hired. Something about stealing a trailer full of tires getting caught and drugs in possesion. I guess I went down the wrong path. But hopefully the WIA lady will finish it all up and rescue me from this nightmare. :party:

okie 04-11-2007 01:18 PM

No sleeping smiley face emoticon...

Well true to the continued sneakiness I will start 3rd Shift this evening. It will be fun and exciting :cry: :cry: . I will just show up smiling everyday till the first of May. I told everybody I was leaving for the April 4th class. That did not come about so I am not telling anyone anything until "2 week notice day" this time. The WIA came through officially and I just got my letter from Central Tech sayiing "I am in." Well you all be safe out there. Better get to work on that "Honey do List" of "before you go trucking stuff" the wife wants done.

GTR SILVER 04-16-2007 10:20 PM

get yourself a credit card some of them offer no payments or interest for one year............budget yourself for it .............and do it.
all the best to ya :wink:

GTR SILVER 05-06-2007 04:34 AM

??

????????????????

okie 05-06-2007 06:18 AM

Another night another nickle...

Oh boy this 3rd Shift thing is sure fun. I put in the two weeks notice last Tues. Will be going to the Central Tech May 16th class. Department Head shook my hand and thanked me for my 4 or 5 years of service. :x I sayed thanks for noticing,.... I was here for 10-years 8) . It is always good to be noticed. Not like this is some multi departmented large group of employees here. Their are 25 in my department. Extremly high turnover to the point that only a handful of us have been here more than 5 years, yet he can not even realize I have been here 10-years :roll: .

The WIA came thru for school and housing. I have plenty of Vac, Sick, and Longevity pay coming to me to ease thru school and a month or so after with the wifes "budget magic". All we have is a house payment and utilities, cars are payed off clunkers. Hanging up a vested 20 years of state service, the last 5 have been the worst. I have researched this board for over a year. I want to thank everyone for the help and input as I prepare to enter "Freight Relocation University" in less than two weeks. :shock: I have also been flying thru the honeydo list. I told the wife this list is more like a honeydo credit card that I can only manage to pay the minimums on every month. Well I guess I better get back to my "job". Ya' all drive safe.

Trod2001 05-16-2007 03:59 AM

I'm new here, but must say WIA through the Labor Dept. is the way to go if you can. The lady I worked with (very nice person) told me if you make under $12.00 an hour you can qualify. She said it would take 2-3 weeks for me to jump through all the (many) hoops (yea wright) (8 weeks but it's saved me $6,000.00). I signed the papers today and start the school next week. :lol:

okie 05-22-2007 03:13 AM

Good for you

We have I think 5-6 in the class of 16 on WIA. God Luck to you.

okie 06-09-2007 09:48 AM

Week 3, err Week 4 ????

The instructor was so concerned about us falling behind after loosing a day for Memorial Day that we have worked are butts off to be a day ahead now. This was quite an interesting week. We took the CDL Drive Test Wed. No score was given by the examiner, however when I parked it he shook my hand and said congratulations sir, That was one sweet ride. So that means I am now an official "CDL Holder. :shock: :shock: :shock: " I got Hazmat, Db~Triples~Tanker endorsements on it as well. Sitting with a 96% in academics and 95% in skills. Then on Thr we took the same CDL Exam route for a school grade, I got a 98%. Friday was a lot of fun as we went on a major road trip, for us anyway. After several 15-20 mile rides in and around the school these past weeks, our 125 mile trip to Big Cabin, Okla. was a real treat. One week to go. Right now I am looking at Groendyke, Crete, and Aliance (local dump bed/bulk company operates NE Okla into SW Mo, NW ARK and SE Kansas. They deliver product to the sister concrete truck plants (28-in all) I believe. Saw them everywhere on our roadtrip yesterday.

runner123 06-13-2007 02:08 PM

And if your self employed, just get a letter from your tax preparer stating you closed your business, that will suffice.

Blind Driver 06-29-2007 02:32 AM

Re: How to get money for school ???

Quote:

I have seen this topic before and nobody offered anything worthwhile but thought I would try again. I do not want to go company paid, way to many horror stories. I tried the WIA route this week, I was shut down before even getting started. It appears that if you have an income you do not qualify. It was explained to me that I was at the appropriate " :shock: poverty level :shock: " income to qualify. However, the mere fact that I have an income DQ'ed my attempt. Perhaps I can give DHS a try. The WIA lady suggested I could choose a company paid training, but why be on the hook for $6000-$7000 when all I need to go to Central Tech is under $2000 in-state. I am pretty sure all the Student Grants and Loans are out of reach, due to a few years of bad/low pay back of college loans. Due to unemployment and underemployment several years back. Anybody have any suggestions?

I had a $30k a year income and got the WIA money. In the same class were nurses, and they got the free money as well

christyharts 08-11-2007 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawila
Cool. I know most people, including myself, do not like credit cards.

Try this: Head over to your state employment service, and try to find out if you qualify for a WIA voucher. If so, it will pay the total cost of your schooling. It's worth a shot, at least. Thats how I'm going to attend. I too need PTDI certification for the companies I'd like to work for.

How long did it take you to get approved?
My unemployment runs out in a month. My husband is disabled and his check is only $525/mth. We have a daughter under 18. Will that help it along faster??
I have no other choice but to change careers. I use to drive with husband before he became disabled in 2001. Sooo I know how it is and I can team with sis for CFI. I just need WIA to help me. I need it like yesterday before unemp runs out. Nothing here jobwise but stores and restuarants.