Thread: Is becoming a truck driver worth my time?

mypenplease is offline Rookie

Default Is becoming a truck driver worth my time?

im 44 and doing ok in life, but would like todo a little better (get some good health benefits and retire with something in life) and really considering doing some truck driving.

my next question is should I goto one of these company sponsored schools, like Swift... or Pay?? I really don't have all the money to put up for a school or have very little chance in financing, I could come up with 1000-2000 with little problem, but not 3000+

Thanks for any feedback

repete is offline Senior Board Member
    Somewhere between Rochester NY and Gaults' Gulch

Any company that 'pays' for your schooling will be paid back a couple times over by YOU. If there's anyway possible pay your own way even if you have to beg a family member for the money. Many companies offer a tuition reimbursement plan that will help pay that back.
    If you do sign up for company training be prepared to work at a lower than normal pay rate for a year or more and your locked into that contract! If you leave for ANY reason they expect immediate payment.
    Do a little research on here about CR England's school and read about some of the students, you can thank me later
    Μολὼν λαβέ;

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. George Washington

belpre122 is offline Local Advocate Senior Board Member

You're on the fence.

Don't do it!!!

Investing in a career at coolie carrier trucking is a crap shoot. At best.

Settle down and enjoy the lifestyle you have.

Coolie carrier OTR driving is far, far, far from the life solution that you are looking for.
    Fuel for free. Pre/Post trip for free. Sit at shipper/receiver for free. "Work 80-100, log 70, get paid for 40." Welcome to OTR coolie carrier truck driving!

Seadragon is offline Rookie

Which state do you live in? Some tanker companies will reimburse the tuition to you. Not difficult to make $65K in tankers for a new cdl grad.
    Couple of union companies that hire new cdl grads are Nick Strimbu Inc. and PI&I Motor Express. Healthcare benefits for driver and family are cheap.