User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2013, 02:50 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Should I wait until I turn 21 years old to get my Class A CDL?

Hi all,*
I have a question regarding my age and my ability to get my Class A CDL. I am only 18 years old, and I know that I want to become a truck driver, it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. I was planning on waiting until I was 21 to get them, but I really just want to get the ball rolling and get started with my career already. I know that because I am only 18 years old, I will only be able to drive intrastate. But I am wondering if I should get my CDL's now and try to get a job in my home state of Ohio, or wait until I am 18. Would you recommend me to wait it out for three more years. If I decide to get my CDL's now, will I have trouble finding a company that will hire me? I am assuming I will because of the insurance policies.. Is there any hope for a hard working, self-motivated, fast learning 18 year old who is willing to do any type of Class A job out there? Or will I just be wasting my time, energy, and more importantly, money?*

Please, any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!! *

BTW, I am planning on attending either Great Lakes Truck Driving School in Columbia Station, Ohio or Trainco Inc. Truck Driving School in Milan, Ohio. Do any of you have any advice or have you heard anything about these schools? They are pretty expensive, with Great Lakes costing around $5,000 and Trainco Inc. costing around $4,000. But I am willing to pay the money because I want to learn from the best school possible so I know that I will be confident in my abilities when I hit the road; you get what you pay for.. Anyways, here are the links to the schools' websites.

-> Links: *Great Lakes Truck Driving School-*Great Lakes Truck Driving School - Cleveland, OH
* * * * * * * Trainco Inc. Truck Driving School-*Norwalk Ohio Truck Driving School : CDL Training Trainco Inc Truck Driving Schools

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to hit all aspects of my questions..*

Again, any information on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!