User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Arrived at school

Well we have arrived at Watkins Shepard school , Today is sat april 18th . We got here a couple of days early reason being we put the motorhome in storage and are homeless lol. We start class on monday the 21st will keep you informed of our progress. Cowboy and High fiance
Old 04-22-2008, 03:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Glad to hear you got there. Keep us all posted on how things go.

Reb

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Rookie
Default After Two Days

Well just finished our second day at W/S school , Man what a great time we are having . Been bob tailing around at nite and early in the morning . Doing some basic class work . Watching films on 45 degree , 90 degree and straight backing . Very laid back instructors and a nice bunch of drivers . Make us feel right at home . We are staying in the dorms here . Tomorrow we head out on the road Bob tailing shifting and getting the feel for the trucks . We are driving 2002 and up Frightliners with 10 speeds. learing how to shift there way . Its great Will keep you informed . Later Andy
Old 04-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Default Re: After Two Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightwy
Well just finished our second day at W/S school , Man what a great time we are having . Been bob tailing around at nite and early in the morning . Doing some basic class work . Watching films on 45 degree , 90 degree and straight backing . Very laid back instructors and a nice bunch of drivers . Make us feel right at home . We are staying in the dorms here . Tomorrow we head out on the road Bob tailing shifting and getting the feel for the trucks . We are driving 2002 and up Frightliners with 10 speeds. learing how to shift there way . Its great Will keep you informed . Later Andy
Learning to shift "their way", ha ha. I assume that means double-clutching. I just graduated from my CDL program and they insisted that we double-clutch the entire time because the state tester was going to have to see that method of shifting. Of course, I'll be floating the gears once I'm on the road I'm sure. It seems so much easier on me and the equipment from my limited experimentation with it so far.

Good luck and keep us posted. Phil
Old 04-25-2008, 04:52 AM

Hi Andy,

I would like to know if you are getting better training from W/S than you would from a private school. I am seriously looking at training from W/S.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd

Learning to shift "their way", ha ha. I assume that means double-clutching. I just graduated from my CDL program and they insisted that we double-clutch the entire time because the state tester was going to have to see that method of shifting. Of course, I'll be floating the gears once I'm on the road I'm sure. It seems so much easier on me and the equipment from my limited experimentation with it so far.

Good luck and keep us posted. Phil
Most trucking companies want to see double clutching when you road test as well. Learn how to do it and do it well. There are times when you are going to have to dbl clutch in order to shift and if you are not good at it you will find yourself doing about 1 mph for a long time.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Most trucking companies want to see double clutching when you road test as well. Learn how to do it and do it well. There are times when you are going to have to dbl clutch in order to shift and if you are not good at it you will find yourself doing about 1 mph for a long time.
I had assumed most companies preferred for their drivers to float the gears. All I did in school was double clutch, and on the test as well. I won't say I'm good at it by no means, but I have a foundation to build on. I'm told after 100K miles I'll be pretty good at it. :shock:
Old 04-26-2008, 03:39 AM
Rookie

Hey Brad, We just finished our first week and Iam here to tell you if you go anywhere else you would be missing out on a great learning experience. We were driving the second day and pulling 53 ft trailers by the fourth day . These guys are good I can double clutch up shit down shift up a hill down a hill it does not matter . We just started backing and now Iam doig 45degree and backing to a dock , Go for it this is a great school . Will keep you posted . Andy
Old 04-26-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightwy
Hey Brad, We just finished our first week and Iam here to tell you if you go anywhere else you would be missing out on a great learning experience. We were driving the second day and pulling 53 ft trailers by the fourth day . These guys are good I can double clutch up $&!+ down shift up a hill down a hill it does not matter . We just started backing and now Iam doig 45degree and backing to a dock , Go for it this is a great school . Will keep you posted . Andy
Andy, thanks for the information and keep us posted as to how the training is going for you.

Brad
Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 PM