User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 05:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Dear Santa,

I hope you are getting closer to getting your own 18wheeler sleigh. How the job hunting going?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Rookie

Getting closer. I'm signed up to start US Truck Driving School on 12/31 -- 3 week course. I have applications out to Swift, Navajo, Werner, CFI, May and Schneider. Any comments on any of these?

In the meantime, busy season. I have 24 Santa Visits this year. This afternoon I'm training my 9-year old granddaughter to be my Elf Assistant. Great Fun!

Guess I'll have to negotiate 3 weeks off (no pay) next December so I can continue. <grin>

Merry Christmas

Please send me your ideas and suggestions.

God bless,
Grandpa John
Old 12-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Thank you Santa,

I am no expert, but here goes. I read better things about CFI than Swift and Werner, Schneider down the middle and nothing about Navajo. May , I have also read good about.

Truth .... one way or another you gotta do some grut work for any company till you start making the good money. They will want to know you can get the job down, ontime, in any circumstances( traffic, weather, inspections, just a few) and make the customer happy. You should be good at that, you know about deadlines huh Santa. So pick a company and unless it is illegal or out right terrible suck it up the first couple of months, Then your like gold.

Another good tip: once you start training, get phone numbers, You never know when and where you will be when you have a question( usually middle of the night) after hours has fallen asleep and you have truck problems. Seriously take as many numbers as people will give you especially the night trainers and drivers as they will be awake to answer your questions in a pickle. For late calls send out a quick text to see if they are up or asleep.

Once you are on your own you will remember what I said.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the GREAT advice. I understand about the first few months. Actually most jobs are like that but I can see where truck driving especially you've got to suck it up, prove yourself and get the job done -- correctly, on time and with a happy customer.

The suggestion about phone numbers is one I hadn't thought of but really makes good sense. I'll start building my phone list. Fortunately I have a good friend who has been driving for 14 years and I can call her anytime. BUT I'll also collect other numbers.

Hope you get what you want under the tree on Christmas.

Ho Ho Ho

Please send me your ideas and suggestions.

God bless,
Grandpa John