User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbojah
The way your describing some of the other students there, I'm hoping that they fail.

I did go to the campus back in June or July, but they wouldn't even give me the time of the day when I wanted to ask some questions, so I left.
I too am hoping a couple fail. We went out in the freight liner over the roads. I felt pretty comfortable the 2nd day driving it. My God, a couple of these guys just can't follow insturctions. I could tell you some horror stories already about some of the guys in other classes. They have no clue and their doing what they can to pump them out. Seems like a puppy farm to me sometimes. But on the good side, they won't let them go for their testing till they are recommened. There is a big difference from guys like me who pay out of their pocket and guys who are going on the States dime (I guess actually I'm paying for them too).

Sorry about the B.S. you went thru. Who did you talk to? The instructors really don't talk to anyone. You have to speak with someone in admissions. I inquired online and they called me back.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbojah
The way your describing some of the other students there, I'm hoping that they fail.

I did go to the campus back in June or July, but they wouldn't even give me the time of the day when I wanted to ask some questions, so I left.
I too am hoping a couple fail. We went out in the freight liner over the roads. I felt pretty comfortable the 2nd day driving it. My God, a couple of these guys just can't follow insturctions. I could tell you some horror stories already about some of the guys in other classes. They have no clue and their doing what they can to pump them out. Seems like a puppy farm to me sometimes. But on the good side, they won't let them go for their testing till they are recommened. There is a big difference from guys like me who pay out of their pocket and guys who are going on the States dime (I guess actually I'm paying for them too).

Sorry about the B.S. you went thru. Who did you talk to? The instructors really don't talk to anyone. You have to speak with someone in admissions. I inquired online and they called me back.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Board Regular

Week 3 is behind us. Everything coming natural. Got a little p.o'd yesterday. Fridays is usually manuever tests for the 480hr class. These guys show up for an hr. goof around, leave then come back and there really isn't any discipline in the yard. Meanwhile 1 guy can't do the alley dock and the instructor worked with him for over an hr. Mind you the guy has been doing it for 2 weeks and screwing off. Now test time is here and he wants to be serious and learn. In the mean time I have been waiting since Wednesday to test for a parallel park and move on. Well 11:30 rolls around and I had to kick up some dirt. They said they weren't going to test me. Now the temper went up and had to do some Bi*&ching. The instructor got the ok, took 2 minutes and done. Went to lunch to calm down. Came back at 12:30, mastered the blind side parallel and went left early. When asked where I was going I told them they wasted 4 hrs. of my time this morning so I think the rest of the day was useless to me unless they were going to test me for blind side, not happening. My final comment to them- " My check cleared and I'm paid in full, point 1 person out who is in the same position"? He couldn't do it. Next week I'm pushing ahead, I don't think I should have to wait for the others to keep up if they are'nt getting it. If not, then it will be a walk to the directors office. I see guys there waiting after they graduated. I'm not going to be one of those guys. Lost a little respect for the school this week. Because they were a little short handed, it fell back on my training.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:15 PM

I had looked at NETTS when deciding to get my CDL. I went to Pawtucket and talked to the director. I wasn't impressed by the school and ended up going to a SAGE school where they have one instructor for each student so I never had to have back seat time while another student drove and never had to wait on the range for a student while I watched.

I paid for my course but never considered myself better than those who were there through grants or state aid. I was fortunate to be retired with a good pension but many are out of work because of lay offs and out sourcing of their jobs. Their method of paying for school had nothing to do with me and I can assure you that the school doesn't care how they get paid either. The state money is as good or better as your money to them.

Good luck with the rest of the course
Old 10-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Board Regular

I hear you snake. I too am lucky to have a decent pension and the guys in my class are on state aid and complain about the same thing. It just seems that the 480 hr class can come and go as they please and come test time, their the first ones up and want all the attention to get them thru. Thats all I was getting at. There were some who were there for other reasons, and from what I got, they had to be there and didn't really care and it is holding up some of us. 4 hrs. sitting on a bench after paying up front while others got special treatment wasn't very pleasing to say the least. Atleast they could have moved me into another manuever to keep me going forward.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:46 PM

I do understand the problem and can empathize with you. Some students in my class had no intention of driving but the state only gives them so much time to use whatever funding they offer so they took the driving course to use up the aid thinking that they may have to fall back on a driving career.

Pretty soon you'll have your CDL and the school will just be a memory.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Board Regular

Well I'll make this the final post. This is our final week. Road time isn't what I thought it would be. Two days taking turns with 3 other guys ea. day. Today was a 1 on 1 for about 1/2 hr. Road trucks could use some help, not the smoothest shifting machines.

Now here's the next issue. The class ahead of us had 3-4 maybe more guys fail their road tests with the state. Now that we have moved on to registry courses, these guys are back and want to practice, taking up the time we need. So now with the next class behind us, the class ahead of us, the yard is conjested and not much time to practice. NO organization what so ever. When insturctors take the day off, no one is replaced and they run short handed so testing, manuevers and roadtime is cancelled. The only good thing is that they will do 1 on 1 manuevers with you for two days straight before you go for your road test. Make sure you know your brake test. In RI if you fail you go home. You don't get to do the road test and then come back another time to take just the brake test. Mass. does that. I don't think I've learned $5000.00 worth of Tractor Trailer driving thats for sure. If your thinking about NETTTS, stop check out SAGE! Good Luck All!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Board Regular

Let me just add a important point when testing. When you schedule your road test with CCRI, you will go over to the registry course in the south yard of the school. There you run the whole course. Well, important- they say it's exactly as the course at the road test, well the parallel boxes ARE tighter at the registry course. You may have your points when to turn and jack the tractor and put the trailer in the box, well I thought I had it so good and when I got the trailer lined up, I watched for my point in the convex mirror and turned, I blew out the back wall. Made the blind side no problem and the other manuevers so I got my CDL. Just something to tuck away when you go for the road test, make that turn about 1.5-2 feet before you normally would.

Good Luck
Old 12-08-2007, 07:45 PM

Im from Rhode Island,I was thinking of NETTS but I'M going with the teamsters training class. Snake _Ize what SAGE did you goto?
Harleypiper was the road test as hard as they try to make it out to be?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjollyrob
Im from Rhode Island,I was thinking of NETTS but I'M going with the teamsters training class. Snake _Ize what SAGE did you goto?
Harleypiper was the road test as hard as they try to make it out to be?
Sorry for the delay, just got back from 3 weeks of training. I don't think the road test was difficult at all. I kept focused though. I didn't go off with all the clicks and screw around. I just kept practicing. Guys would come in at 8 go thru the course once and leave for the day. I was trying to get as much time in as possible. There are 3 guys at the test site who administer the test, if you show you know what your talking about they don't bust your hump.