User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default NETTS-R.I.

I don't see much on this site about Rhode Island. I'm attending NETTS on 9/24. It's a 4 week school at 4995.00 with no parking. Good ole R.I. I paid up front so I own no one. It'a an acreditted school and, they have 1 in RI, 1 in Ct. and 1 in Ma. A couple of my buds started there and they liked it. Small building but lots of trucks and practice time from what I have read. I'll keep you posted when I start. C-YA!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Board Regular

Day 1- Arrived at 6:45 as instructed. Met in a construction trailer with metal chairs and cushions that came off rocking chairs. Instructor arrived around 7:15, not a bad wait. 7 guys in the class and 2 just getting their cdl b. Got the welcome package with necessary signature required documents so they don't get in any trouble (lawyer stuff), CDL Testing Manual and the Safety Regs. Pocketbook. Went over a few requirments for the up coming 4 weeks and what to expect. In a round about way, they are going to make sure they will do everything possible to help get our licenses. So far pretty cool.

An issued of required clothing came up, pants, sleeve shirt and no sneakers. Now I really feel smart. People actually couldn't understand what sneakers were, never mind not being able to speak good english. Then a question of if there was anyone who HAS NOT driven a manual transmission of any type. And yes, the same guy who didn't know what sneakers were now had to say what kind of trucks he drove. Guess he didn't hear the HAS NOT. Language barrier I'm sure.

Now came time to go see admissions and get all the paperwork in order. They want my H.S. diploma. Haven't seen it since High School, my college degree is not acceptable. Go Figure, another Rhode Island thing I guess.

Paper work now complete. That was rough waiting for some to follow along. God! How do some people get by in life. Time for a movie on road rage and aggressive driving. Looked to be nothing more then Providence RI drivers at the 95 construction, and a a bunch of Mass. drives cruising the breakdown lane. Must not be easy to be that stupid.

9:15 Roach Coach is here. Thank God! Not only do I need coffee, but a shot of Heroin might take the edge off of listening to some of these guys talk.

9:30 Begin going over General Knowlege of what we "might see again somewhere on a test". Nothing too difficult. Learned a couple of new things from class B stuff. Some confusing stuff on when to brake, shifting, downshifting, retarders, jacknifing and grades. Started to make me wonder if it's what I really want to do now, especially after the agressive driving movie. Then on the way home , I was stopped next to a sweet Peter Built and it was doing the "love jones" as I think cyanide called it, so yup! it's what I want to do.

So nothing to exciting to report yet. Tomorrow is going over more General Knowledge stuff I think so we can go take the DMV test to get the permits.

Just a note, you might want to bring some healthy snaks or lunch if your a healty eater, that Roach Coach is not politically healty correct and not much in the line of luncheons.

C-YA!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Board Regular

Day 2- 100 question test from day 1 (General Knowlede) pretty simple, some of the 2 out of 3 answers are rediculas and 1 is obvious. Alot of common sense stuff, but definately need to take the course if your going to pass the test. After taking the test reviewed with the insturctor and during that period, the guy in the class who knows and has done everything is now known, you know the guy, has to tell the instuctor how he did something that we went over and it didn't work that way when he used to drive before Fed. regs came into play. Just can't figure why he's in the class then. And the guy with the sneaker, still wearing sneakers.

Went into air brakes. Got a little confusing at one point, but after going home and reading what we went over, it all came together. Just have to learn to not listen to those guys who can't speak or read english well.

Next came coupling and uncoupling. Now it all makes sense. Still a little confused on emergency braking and when to apply slight pressure and when to use engine braking, but I'm sure it will come once behind the wheel to feel what it's like. Alot to know for the pre inspection test.

Nothing to report for day 3 and 4. Day 3 is review for DMV written test to get permit. Day 4 is take written test and for those who didn't get DOT physical and Drug screen have to go. For me, after test, day off, pee is clean. Can't believe guys were actually talking about ways to get clean pee, how about, "just say NO" oh well. Thats it for now.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Board Regular

Week 1 down. Piece of cake, permits in hand. Got right into the inspections and break tests. Got a little mind boggling trying to remember but all came to gether at the end of the day. Did some coupling and uncoupling, but because it isn't on the road test, no need to dwell on it. And the guy who knew everything, had a hard time just pulling ahead. Why do people talk smack like that? God! Shut the F up. Lost 3 guys. One of the boneheads who kept coming in late, by the way he came into our class a day late because he didn't pass his written test from the original class he came in with. Well, he is out, he finished week one with us after already being there 3 weeks, still hasn't gotten his DOT card. How do people get by. Another dude couldn't pass general knowledge, and another who just didn't show up, we can only assume he too didn't pass his test. Sorry for their luck. That makes it much more easier for me to be in the top 1/3 of the class, hahaha out of guys now and 3 are class B. hmmmm. Guess I don't have to do the math here.

Till Monday.,

C-YA!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Board Regular

Into week two - Monday it was simple Straight Backing. After the first 2 or 3 attempts it got pretty easy. No need to spend 2 days on it. But all the instructors have been cool. No matter which instructor is teaching another class, or a different manuever, they will always stop and help you. So far all except 1 Class B guy got their permits. The guy with sneakers, yup !showed up in sneakers. Sent him out to get boot or don't come back, he was back within the hr. Tomorrow is new manuevers, finally getting into it.

Already tired of listening to the guy who knows everything, he is going to get a cup of shut the f*!k up soon. Thats all for now folks!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Board Regular

End of week two- everything getting easier. The only problem is trying to get some seat time to practice manuevers. They mix other classes with you and your supposed to rotate turns. Doesn't quite work like that though. Guys who are having a hard time think they should get more time in the seat to practice cuz they need it. But I got lucky, all the guys in my class are Mass. and they split us up cuz Mass has different road tests with the Super Troopers.. So now I have 3 trucks to myslef to practice for the next two weeks. I guess thats a little justice seeing how I'm the only one who paid for the schooling. Up to this point, If your thinking about NETTTS for training, take the 160 hr. course. You get thru in 4 weeks. The 480 hr. is for student loans. Your at ea. manuever two weeks ea. and it's 6 months long. Tuesday I think we start getting on the road to grind some gears.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleypiper

Time for a movie on road rage and aggressive driving. Looked to be nothing more then Providence RI drivers at the 95 construction, and a a bunch of Mass. drives cruising the breakdown lane. Must not be easy to be that stupid.

C-YA!
It's actually quite easy. And I'm not stupid, I'm just ignorant of everyone else! Now get those breakdown lanes cleared of all the debris
Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Board Regular

It's actually quite easy. And I'm not stupid, I'm just ignorant of everyone else! Now get those breakdown lanes cleared of all the debris[/quote]

Yea I guess it just comes natural for some.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Board Regular

No school Monday for the holiday. Tuesday was more parallel parking on drivers side. Real easy to do for RI. Had it down the first couple of hrs. Suggestion- practice your bleed down and brake tests. In R.I. if you fail the brake test at the DMV you won't even finish. They will send you home for 2 weeks and cough up another 50 bucks. The circle inspection and manuevers are all points. Your allowed to hit cones and stuff but you will lose points. So master 2 and on blind side parallel do your best but don't sweat it.

Wed. afternoon finally go out on the road to drive. Wasn't expecting to get right on the road in the streets of Pawtucket. Holy Crap. First time ever driving these monsters. First we went into the industrial park so he can see who has what and who grinds the most. I was able to get the double clutch down, just have to practice not putting it to the floor all the time which causes my jerking. The down shift got a little tricky but got it down. The only real hard part I guess was remembering what gear your in and when to go up or down. Well the others went after me, now I never stroke my ego but I didn't do to bad but the others, well the instructor wouldn't let go of his hand brake. After everyone got a chance, thru me back in the seat and drove back to the school, so I guess I'm doing well. The instructor (Dave) is really patient too. Doesn't raise his voice at all and helps where needed. Tries to settle you down so you can focus on driving and not worrying.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Rookie

The way your describing some of the other students there, I'm hoping that they fail.

I did go to the campus back in June or July, but they wouldn't even give me the time of the day when I wanted to ask some questions, so I left.