User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well if thats true ive been sold out by the school..But Im doing the acid drop anyways...start school monday...god help me...im writing a credit card check for school
Old 04-12-2007, 01:55 AM
Board Regular

These schools will tell you anything to get you in a class seat. Remember, they make their living off seats filled.

The flip side to this is going to a Community College. You're already in school by the time I write this, so this more for info-seekers that may be reading. If you can hook up with a Community College that will be your best bet. They don't care about turning a profit to cover overhead and a student will be just that...a student. The courses are longer and the students have more time to digest the information. These private truck driving schools are profit making CDL mills. Just do a quick Google search and you'll find public legal complaints against schools for making false claims of placement percentages and other other inappropriate marketing schemes. One that operates in CT and MA comes to mind. Regardless of whether they have a good rep or not, these companies exist to make money. Community Colleges exist to teach. I'm sure there are some good CDL schools out there, so I'm not trying to dispute that or slam ALL private schools. But, why pay $4 - 5000 for a 4 week course when you can attend a 10 - 12 week course for half the cost AND receive more thorough training. $4K for 4 weeks....$1-2K for 10 weeks....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the better way to get trained.

Had I done the proper planning, I would be going the CC route rather than the company sponsored training route. This is just something to consider if you're in the planning stages and have the time to spend in a Comm College.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Ready for school..narrowed to 3 ..ONE WEEK COURSE ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinanjeff
im a little confused about what to do here. first there is western pacific school in longview..The guy made it sound oh so good..that no problem at all to get a local job. And that even had one right now for $ 22.50 a hour..They have lots of poeple waiting for drivers and good placment...
All for like $4200...
http://www.wptruckschooloforegon.com/

and then there was elite trucking school with the big $2995 promo going on right now and only 4 per class,,Problem is here that it is in oregon and rush hour driving involved over the i/5 bridge to hillsboro..also he seemed to preach also lots of jobs..but seemed to have a little more connections in his local area..(not good for me) but claimed some up in washington where I lived...Preached he was union guy and has union connections and they get some jobs down at the docks he might be able to hook me up..

http://www.elitetruckschool.com/

Then there is the company with the one week. two week, and 4 week courses that claim you can do it in a week cause its one on one training.
They are the closest to my house. and the cheapest option..

http://www.testyoucdl.com/

HELP PLEASE !!!
MAY I SUGGEST??????

Please call 3 of the companies you would like to work for if you are not going to be O/O. Ask each of their recruiting officers which schools they will hire from. Also ask if they offer any sort of incentive to sign up with them......i.e., pay a portion or all of your tuition. They will have an idea which schools are best in their areas or in your of choice.

I did just this.......got great feedback from the recruiting officer. They may also share info on their company and the finishing/training.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Ready for school..narrowed to 3 ..ONE WEEK COURSE ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern ontario
Quote:
im a little confused about what to do here. first there is western pacific school in longview..The guy made it sound oh so good..that no problem at all to get a local job. And that even had one right now for $ 22.50 a hour..They have lots of poeple waiting for drivers and good placment...
All for like $4200...
http://www.wptruckschooloforegon.com/

and then there was elite trucking school with the big $2995 promo going on right now and only 4 per class,,Problem is here that it is in oregon and rush hour driving involved over the i/5 bridge to hillsboro..also he seemed to preach also lots of jobs..but seemed to have a little more connections in his local area..(not good for me) but claimed some up in washington where I lived...Preached he was union guy and has union connections and they get some jobs down at the docks he might be able to hook me up..

http://www.elitetruckschool.com/

Then there is the company with the one week. two week, and 4 week courses that claim you can do it in a week cause its one on one training.
They are the closest to my house. and the cheapest option..

http://www.testyoucdl.com/

HELP PLEASE !!!
MAY I SUGGEST??????

Please call 3 of the companies you would like to work for if you are not going to be O/O. Ask each of their recruiting officers which schools they will hire from. Also ask if they offer any sort of incentive to sign up with them......i.e., pay a portion or all of your tuition. They will have an idea which schools are best in their areas or in your of choice.

I did just this.......got great feedback from the recruiting officer. They may also share info on their company and the finishing/training.

Good luck to you.
Good advice. Anyone that enrolls in and gives money to a school without having first done some pre-qualifying with a company or two is making a foolish and expensive decision. Schools don't hire...companies hire. Schools can make all the promises in the world but they are NOT the hiring authority for a company.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Rookie
Default elite truck school

got lucky 2 weeks in now I am finding out this school has a great reputation and there are alot of jobs..I have a interview tommorrow..local bark and recycle company..only starts at $13 for first month and then moves to $14 but hey its a start.. after doing my first on road test today after driving in the yard for 2... and passing all my endorsments last week..I am a little concerned about driving a 53 ft trailer around town 60 hours a week.in traffic.hope I dont clip anybody
Old 04-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: elite truck school

Quote:
got lucky 2 weeks in now I am finding out this school has a great reputation and there are alot of jobs..I have a interview tommorrow..local bark and recycle company..only starts at $13 for first month and then moves to $14 but hey its a start.. after doing my first on road test today after driving in the yard for 2... and passing all my endorsments last week..I am a little concerned about driving a 53 ft trailer around town 60 hours a week.in traffic.hope I dont clip anybody

If your afraid of hitting someone, stay out of the truck! Then ask for a refund of your money for all the time you spent learning to drive, yea right!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Board Regular

I don't see anything wrong with be a little concerned about clipping someone. If you're concerned you'll probably pay more attention to what's going on around you. As long as "concern" doesn't turn into "panick" you'll be fine. Driving around without a concern in the world is probably a sure way to hit something.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
I don't see anything wrong with be a little concerned about clipping someone. If you're concerned you'll probably pay more attention to what's going on around you. As long as "concern" doesn't turn into "panick" you'll be fine. Driving around without a concern in the world is probably a sure way to hit something.
It sounds like a confidence problem to me, you either believe you can, or you wont!
This isn’t a hard job; just don’t make excuses for these guys! Besides he is concerned about the fact of a 53' trailer in town in traffic and 60 hrs a week, and worried about hitting something! It really sounds like a double negative to me!

Heres a little concern for you, All these guys worried about something that hasent happend yet, now they have a confidence problem, they screw up and invade my space and scratch my truck, now I am mad and I am concerned that I will KILL them, is this what you mean by a little concern is what this industry needs....lol
Old 04-14-2007, 02:15 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
It sounds like a confidence problem to me, you either believe you can, or you wont!
This isn’t a hard job; just don’t make excuses for these guys! Besides he is concerned about the fact of a 53' trailer in town in traffic and 60 hrs a week, and worried about hitting something! It really sounds like a double negative to me!

Heres a little concern for you, All these guys worried about something that hasent happend yet, now they have a confidence problem, they screw up and invade my space and scratch my truck, now I am mad and I am concerned that I will KILL them, is this what you mean by a little concern is what this industry needs....lol
I'm not making excuses for anyone. But, if everyone followed your logic it would seem that every driver, experienced or rookie, that rolled a truck, backed into something, or whatever, did it because they lacked confidence. The reality is, and I'm sure you know this, is that people get complacent, and just don't do the little things they did when they were a rookie and had these concerns. I read an article somewhere that most trucking accidents are NOT from rookies, but experienced drivers. I'm sure all those drivers "believed they could" too. I'd be more concerned with some over-confidence chucklehead trying to park next me rather than a rookie who is at least concerned about whats going on around him. But yea you're right to an extent. Nobody should be behind the wheel if they're always shitting their pants and second guessing their own abilities. On the other extreme is the over-confident, cocky driver that thinks he's safe from any/all mishaps. You know the type, "It'll never happen to me". Somewhere in the middle is a happy medium.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Rookie
Default confidence

You guys that are saying im negative are sounding negative yourself..I dont lack confidence. I am a surfer that paddels out into 20 foot waves in the pacific northwest...has been bumped by a great white shark and still goes out. While yes I am a little concerned about my ADD.. They are right because I am concerned means I will take more care..One of the teachers at the school was a trainer for CF before they went under...He says they did a study..and the average amount of expierce on a reportable accident out on the road was 11-14 years..drivers..he says they reach a point of complancy..and over confidence and forget they are driving a deadly weapon. So those who judged me to be some sissy ash pansy are just middle aged has been's that drive big trucks to make up for what you lack to try to make your self fill like a man.. Im not what you think 250 lbs of solid muscle thats just concernered about tight turns and property damage. And those who made the positive comments thanks..You right thats exactly what consolidated freight found out average ex..accident 11-14 years. 40-50 years old...divorced..financal problems..head somewhere else.. like up your ..