User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ready for school..narrowed to 3 ..ONE WEEK COURSE ?

im a little confused about what to do here. first there is western pacific school in longview..The guy made it sound oh so good..that no problem at all to get a local job. And that even had one right now for $ 22.50 a hour..They have lots of poeple waiting for drivers and good placment...
All for like $4200...
http://www.wptruckschooloforegon.com/

and then there was elite trucking school with the big $2995 promo going on right now and only 4 per class,,Problem is here that it is in oregon and rush hour driving involved over the i/5 bridge to hillsboro..also he seemed to preach also lots of jobs..but seemed to have a little more connections in his local area..(not good for me) but claimed some up in washington where I lived...Preached he was union guy and has union connections and they get some jobs down at the docks he might be able to hook me up..

http://www.elitetruckschool.com/

Then there is the company with the one week. two week, and 4 week courses that claim you can do it in a week cause its one on one training.
They are the closest to my house. and the cheapest option..

http://www.testyoucdl.com/

HELP PLEASE !!!
Old 03-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Board Regular

Please do all of us out here a big favor...don't go to a one week wonder school. Even 2 weeks is asking a lot. There is a lot more to this job that you will ever learn in just one week. Go at it the right way and get good training.

Do yourself a bigger favor and understand that local jobs right out of school is highly unlikely. Remember that these guys are in it for just one thing...to make a fast buck off of you.

If you are worried about rush hour traffic in your personal vehicle going over the I-5 bridge, what are you going to do when you are driving a truck?

Soladad
Old 03-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Rookie
Default Gas money

ya but i dont get paid for driving over the i5 bridge during rush hour now. I have noticed very little truck traffic at peak rush..I think maybe they must be scheduling around a bit...cuase right after rush the freeway. Is all trucks. You want a tough job you should try doing what im doing now. Driving 50,000 miles a year with no mileage, no gas money...straight commission...only to have half your deals cancelled do to credit declines. & sometimes getting a $125 check for a week and spending it all in gas..
Old 03-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Rookie
Default to solidad

I also noticed your not from the part of the country...so how do you know our local market conditions ? I got post from poeple around here and they seem to allude you can get local jobs...From what I understand the economy is alot better around here...poeple are sick of poeples attitudes from the east and california...and tons of poeple are moving here. Sorry to be so blunt but its just better here...
Old 03-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Rookie

I am in my 4th and last week of CDL school and I can tell you this....there is now way you can learn to drive a truck in a week...ive learned alot since the first day, but ive got alot more to learn.....I would suggest a school not less than 4 weeks....and find out how much driving you will be doing in school.....good luck to ya
Old 03-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Rookie

One week!?? Impossible!

It took more than a week just to get seven people through the testing - and that was after four previous weeks of training at my school.

I found two employers near my home town that hire local drivers right out of school, but they both pay at or just above the federal poverty level and have ancient, junky, nasty trucks that can barely pass even the most casual pre-trip inspection.

Expect to "pay your dues" at an over-the-road job in order to become eligible for the better paying local and dedicated jobs. Most of the decent ones require at least two years OTR experience. If you're lucky (like me), you'll find a decent paying regional job that offers a good balance of pay and home time.

This one-week wizard school is a crock. Don't allow this jerk to pick your pocket with promises too good to be true. He's no friend to you or to the industry.

-Robin
Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Rookie

again is see regional differences...everybody that says you cant go local are from the long flat part of the country... not a major urban center. but I went and visited the 2995 school..and the guy said hes got no reason to lye to me all his classes are always full with only 4 students. and a 98% placement rate..With 65% going local and the rest otr. I start monday. The part he said which im not shure is true is that your 2 years starts from the day you get your license..so you can work a few months and hammer a nail the rest.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree, 1 week is about impossible to learn how to drive a truck. If you grew up around a farm or a business where you pull trailers everyday, maybe?

Even if local work is your goal, spend a little time driving OTR to get some experience driving in different conditions and learning how to bump different docks. When your local you are driving in heavy traffic 75% of the time and you are bumping docks all day long. All it takes is a couple simple mistakes to ruin a driving career, then all that money you spent to get a CDL is wasted.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Rookie

oh and buy the way the 2995 is the 4 week course..I never was really serius about the 1 week thing...just curious on how and what that is all about. I can back up my wave runner trailer does that count !!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:21 AM
Board Regular

I may be living in Wisconsin but I was born and raised in the PNW. I have family still out there so I stay in touch with what is happening. Within the past 6 months, I have been considering returning to the Portland area. I checked into driving jobs. Local jobs were very limited and most wanted 2 years of experience OTR. Two years means 2 years of verifiable employment. I also don't think it is better out there (PNW) or I would be moving back out there. I am heading south where my present OTR driving job will support me until I can find something local. I wish you luck.

Soladad