Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Product Reviews by Truckers for Truckers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-product-reviews-truckers-truckers-32/)
-   -   Rand McNally TND GPS (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-product-reviews-truckers-truckers/38712-rand-mcnally-tnd-gps.html)

DieselBoss 09-16-2009 08:50 PM

Rand McNally TND GPS

FYI, I got a demo of the Rand McNally unit yesterday. My overall feel of this unit is that RM took a lot of time and were "thinking like a truck driver" when developing it. The features are relevant (for the most part) and are extremely extensive. This unit has several key features that none of the others have and may be going to raise the bar on trucking GPS technology. One disclaimer that I always preach - you early implementers of ANY new technology device are always the "canary in the coal mine." However, as far as the condition of this unit at "launch time" (next week) I have not been more impressed at a first look than this one.

Here's a taste of the features that impressed me so far:

- Big buttons and icons (5" screen)

- Ability to send feedback on roads, truck routes, points of interest directly to RM via computer hookup. (including your reviews of any POI or business that gets pooled and shared with all other users when they connect.)

- Miles driven per state report.

- Hours of Service module. Ability to enter your state of duty (Driving, Off-duty, On-duty) with built in alerts if you go into violation.

- Very thorough truck stop descriptions and filtering. It shows you all info about what is IN each truck stop - not just where it is. You can filter your search by the amenities (i.e. those with a restaurant, Cat Scale, internet, etc.)

- Road construction info built in. It is updated every 2 weeks at RM and will update your unit when you plug in via the lap-link with any construction zone changes. (free)

- Program updates automatically when you plug in via their lap-link (free.) Map data updates will not be free (just like all the competing units.)

- Very professional address book that is storable alphabetically or by number. You can add you own notes to yourself about any address you put there and you can create "categories" in your address book (like a particular warehouse chain, store chain, whatever.)

The true test is truck routing accuracy no matter how fine the interface and features are. RM uses NavTeq maps with an overlay of additional Rand McNally proprietary additional map data and truck restriction data. Their marketing claim is that this system has more miles and more truck attributes than any other system. Our road tests begin next week.

More to come...

mike3fan 09-16-2009 10:42 PM

What's the price going to be on these units?

Can you force the routing? waypoints?

DieselBoss 09-16-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan (Post 462505)
What's the price going to be on these units?

Can you force the routing? waypoints?

$499 (and if it passes further tests this week to go up at my site we will have free shipping and no tax for some period of time)

Yes, you can plan multi-stop trips or force the routing by entering an address, adding a POI, by clicking on a spot on the map, or by (another major advantage feature) telling it to "avoid / favor" a particuler road or road segment.

Malaki86 09-17-2009 11:44 PM

Does the unit have the ability to import your own POI's into their own categories? I've already got hundreds of saved shippers/receivers saved into a CSV file with the gps coordinates.

DieselBoss 09-24-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 462598)
Does the unit have the ability to import your own POI's into their own categories? I've already got hundreds of saved shippers/receivers saved into a CSV file with the gps coordinates.

It does not have that ability right now. RM says it is on the roadmap as a possible future capability.

I created a page last night with a TON of screens and descriptions of this unit. That should answer many questions about the features and the "look" of the new TND units. My own road testing will begin soon, but I have been working closely with one of the Rand McNally beta testers. He is a truck driver and has been using and helping to develop this product for the last 10 months.

Here's the link for screens and features: Rand McNally TND truck GPS navigator features and screens - TND500 review

mike3fan 09-24-2009 10:22 PM

Looks interesting. Will be looking forward to your updates on actual usage. I would defintetly buy one if they would add live traffic like my Dash Express has.

Malaki86 09-24-2009 11:35 PM

The lack of ability to import your own POI's is a huge drawback, at least for me.

DieselBoss 09-24-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan (Post 463384)
Looks interesting. Will be looking forward to your updates on actual usage. I would defintetly buy one if they would add live traffic like my Dash Express has.

Ya, I talked to them about that and it is on their roadmap - but not on this initial release software. They do have a really helpful road construction feature though in this one. I think that will be pretty significant in terms of being a competitive advantage. However having real-time traffic is pretty huge, I agree.

DieselBoss 09-24-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 463392)
The lack of ability to import your own POI's is a huge drawback, at least for me.

Of course it has a ton of them built in (like all of them) but if you have your own custom database, it would be nice to be able to pull them into these different units.

Malaki86 09-25-2009 01:45 AM

Mainly it's the shippers & receivers I've already got saved. I have about 250 now, with about 50 of them being very regular locations. So, it'd save a lot of time when going to the same place again.

Glad Hand 10-08-2009 04:26 PM

Hmm...the first reviews are beginning to trickle in on the TND 500 from Rand McNally and all of them I have read so far read like horror stories. Anyway this was the best written one so far:

PAID 500 FOR THE TND500 ON VERY FIRST USAGE IT SENT ME ON A NON TRUCK ROUTE AND GOT ME IN A PRETTY STICKY MESS. I BARELY MANAGED TO GET THRU AND NO TICKET TO MY PICKUP. THEN THE ROUTE TO MY DELIVERY IT DID THE SAME ONLY WORST HEADING ME STRAIGHT INTO THE PATH OF A LOW PASS BRIDGE. HOWEVER BEFORE I LEFT I HAD GOTTEN DETAILED INFO ON THE LOCAL ROUTE. EVEN IF THE LOCAL ROUTE WAS CHANGED OR INACCURATE THE BRIDGE NO DOUBT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THERE. NOW I AM CONCERNED THAT IT MIGHT TAKE ME INTO OTHER BRIDGES. THE DOCKING SOFTWARE FOR UPDATING IS FAULTY. IT DOWNLOADED AN UPDATE FOR THE DOCKING SOFTWARE BUT COULD NOT SUBMIT INFORMATION TO SUBSCRIBE TO CONSTRUCTION UPDATES. POORLY PROGRAMMED POP UP WINDOWS THAT WERE LOCKING THE SOFTWARE UP UNABLE TO ESCAPE OR USE IT..HAD TO USE WINDOWS TASK MANAGER TO FORCE IT CLOSED. I AM HEADING TO NEW JERSEY AND IT WAS PLACES LIKE THIS AND PA TURNPIKES THAT I WAS HOPING FOR SOME ACCURACY. WHERE THERE IS SO LITTLE ROOM FOR MISTAKE AND SO HARD TO TURN AROUND. SO FAR I CANT SAY IF I WANT TO KEEP THIS DEVICE. I MAY RETURN IT FOR A REFUND.. I CALLED CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND TECH FOLKS WHERE TO BUSY TO TALK TO ME AND THERE WAS REALLY NO CUSTOMER SERVICE LINE SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS PRODUCT. THERE IS NO SUPPORT LINK ONLINE. AND THE PERSON I SPOKE TOO AFTER SEVERAL COMMENTS I AM SURE HAD VERY LITTLE IDEA ABOUT THE ANYTHING AROUND THE PRODUCT. I WANTED TO REGISTER IT OVER THE PHONE AND I WAS TOLD THEY COULDNT DO IT. I SAID WELL THE SOFTWARE DOESNT WORK AND I JUST GOT A BLANK. SO FAR ID SAY RAND MCNALLY HAS DONE NOTHING MORE THAN COPY A SOFTWARE INTO A GPS BOX AND ADD A COUPLE GIMMICKS AND ARE SELLING IT ON THE CLAIM OF HAVING MORE DATA. I CHANGED THE TRUCK SETTINGS TO TRIPLES AND IT STILL TRIED TO ROUTE ME DOWN SEVERAL ROADS THAT NO TRUCK COULD POSSIBLY NAVIGATE ESPECIALLY DOUBLES OR TRIPLES. EVEN AFTER DETOURING THE ROUTE IT REFUSED TO ADHERE TO A SENSABLE ROUTE WHICH IN FACT WAS ONLY ABOUT 5 ROADS AND A FEW TURNS.

Rand McNally's IntelliRoute TND 500 Trucking Navigation Device Now Available at U.S. Retailers - Topix

Fredog 10-08-2009 05:01 PM

I see Cobra has a truck gps now, I wonder if it's any good

Glad Hand 10-08-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 463409)
Mainly it's the shippers & receivers I've already got saved. I have about 250 now, with about 50 of them being very regular locations. So, it'd save a lot of time when going to the same place again.

Before I updated to the Truck Stops Plus 2010 I sent them an email and asked them if I went ahead and updated to the 2010 version would I be able to keep all the shippers, consignees, company terminals, drop lots, etc. that I had added to my 2009 version and they sent me back step-by-step directions for doing so.

Basically all you have to do is open up both versions simultaneously. Open up the legend and overview pane in the 2009 version and then copy the data sets you created and then paste them into the 2010 version. It took me about 30 seconds to transfer all my additions into the new 2010 version.

DieselBoss 10-08-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 464802)
I see Cobra has a truck gps now, I wonder if it's any good

So far, it it's mixed. To put it in the most simplistic terms from our tests to date:

Features and interface: Good
Aesthetics (how the maps and screens "look" when you are planning or navigating) : sub-standard when compared to its peers.
Addresses (when I punch in an address, does it have it?) : Good / very good
Accuracy of truck routing: the verdict is still out. Need many more miles to comment on this.

DieselBoss 10-08-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glad Hand (Post 464800)
Hmm...the first reviews are beginning to trickle in on the TND 500 from Rand McNally and all of them I have read so far read like horror stories. Anyway this was the best written one so far:

Rand McNally's IntelliRoute TND 500 Trucking Navigation Device Now Available at U.S. Retailers - Topix

I didn't realize the easter bunny was an authority, but let me give it some perspective.

I experienced the "update" issue that he describes on the first couple of days having this unit. It had some kind of server issue. Since then (all this week for instance) it updated perfectly.

Because this product is brand new (less than two weeks since it hit shelves) I noticed that they are posting updates very rapidly. This is very important to note during this early launch phase. This fact makes any review on the unit obsolete as soon as they post an update so be careful.

"Early implementers" are just that - those who choose to buy a "first of its kind" product right away. Anybody remember the first revision of the iPhone?

I have been in constant contact with Rand over the last 3 weeks on this TND unit, and I can say so far that they are very serious about making it successful.

My full report should have enough "miles" on it to offer an initial assessment from a thorough test by end of next week.

Glad Hand 10-08-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselBoss (Post 464807)
Because this product is brand new (less than two weeks since it hit shelves) I noticed that they are posting updates very rapidly. This is very important to note during this early launch phase.

Uhm…if Rand McNally is going to charge $500, then why doesn’t it do what it advertises it does out of the box? Are we suppose to plunk down our hard earned $500 and then cross our fingers and pray (hope and change) that one of these many updates will somehow miraculously fix the myriads of problems? Not to mention that in the other trucker reviews that I read, there were many other serious issues besides just the ones mentioned above.

In essence by purchasing one of these units you are in effect paying to be a beta tester, while other companies, on the other hand, let you become a beta tester for free. Not bad marketing!

In addition, who is going to pay our fines while we have our fingers crossed hoping and wishing? If I hit a low overhead can I tell my boss to blame it on Rand McNally? Do you think he will let me off the hook? And when I get stopped for going down a restricted route, can I send my ticket to Rand McNally? Will they take care of it for me?

And who has all this free time to constantly download updates? I use Streets & Trips and never have had to download updates for their product to work! Having to constantly download updates kind of defeats the entire purpose of using GPS software in the first place, because it cost time and loss time translates into less money in my pocket. Thus, not only does it cost you $500 just to play, you also pay for it in loss time and possible fines or worse.

Finally, why should anyone buy this unit under the assumption that eventually it will work? All the other so-called trucking specific GPS devices have also been issuing updates for months now, yet all of them still don’t work?

Look DieselBoss, I know you are just trying to help and I don’t mean to come off like a hard ass, but I have to call them as I see them, and so for the TND 500 is a great big fail exactly like all the other ones before it! In fact, I hope they lose their ass so other companies will take notice and next time think twice before they try to rip off truckers again!

Malaki86 10-08-2009 11:35 PM

omg - would you be so STUPID and IGNORANT to follow the directions the device gave if it told you to go down a road with a 9' bridge? would you follow it if the road had a 10 ton limit? If so, that's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Almost as bad as some of the stories you hear about 4-wheelers wrecking because the gps told them to turn.

A GPS is a reference tool - it's not a damn autopilot - you DO still have to use your brain just a tad...

As for devices that don't work 100% each and every time they're sold, let's see what else there is:
Trucks - I've had trucks with 100 miles on them that had to go directly to the garage because the factory forgot to install the heater
Cars - I've seen a Cadillac with 3 miles on it that the transmission fell out of because the factory put 2 bolts in the transmission bell housing
Computers - I've pulled brand new computers out of the box that failed to even power on
Software - Vista, XP, Windows 98, You name it - they have problems

I want to throw another piece of software out there - CoPilot Truck Laptop v11 - You want garbage? You want software that ALK KNOWS is screwed up but REFUSES to update? Cheap? Ya - $250 - real cheap. At least Rand-McNally is actually DOING the updates. Would you prefer something like CoPilot that they refuse to update? Myself, with all the updates RM is doing makes me consider buying it even more.

geeshock 10-09-2009 12:57 AM

I'll pass for now but it looks like something I might consider soon. The features are good and as you mentioned, they are working the major bugs out. Also, since right now I use a gps for a car I don't think it can get me in any more truble than the one I have now.

Also as you mentioned, GPS is more a tool than an auto pilot. It's saved my but on rainy nights in Chicago when you can't read the signs in the glare but if you think I'll follow it's routing 100% your smoking some good stuff, might need to proceed to the closest clinic for testing.

If nothing else, the road database is probably more updated than mine.

DieselBoss 10-09-2009 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glad Hand (Post 464830)
Uhm…if Rand McNally is going to charge $500, then why doesn’t it do what it advertises it does out of the box? Are we suppose to plunk down our hard earned $500 and then cross our fingers and pray (hope and change) that one of these many updates will somehow miraculously fix the myriads of problems? Not to mention that in the other trucker reviews that I read, there were many other serious issues besides just the ones mentioned above.

I believe that it's because even if you have 50 or 100 actual trucker beta testers (which Rand has done for the past 11 months on this thing,) there is NO way you can have all of the trucking roads in this country correctly databased. When it comes to the interface and "how you poke around" this thing, it is very well done. Much better than the first rev of the PC Miler, the Garmin, the Goodyear, the Teletype, and the Cobra (all of which are sitting about 2 feet to my left at this moment.

Quote:

In addition, who is going to pay our fines while we have our fingers crossed hoping and wishing? If I hit a low overhead can I tell my boss to blame it on Rand McNally? Do you think he will let me off the hook? And when I get stopped for going down a restricted route, can I send my ticket to Rand McNally? Will they take care of it for me?

Nobody - no matter what product - is going to assume "liability" for a driver (or any other consumer's) personal decisions out there. Every single one of these brand's GPS has an opening screen that says something to the effect of "Always obey all posted road signs, blah, blah)" because ultimately it is our responsibility in the profession that we chose to use common sense. I haven't found a "perfect" device yet - of ANY kind. They are what they are - tools. And I stand by my opinion that these different GPS "wars" that are going on now are not going away. These units only will get better at helping truckers do their jobs and those that don't will fade away leaving only the last companies standing.

Quote:

And who has all this free time to constantly download updates? I use Streets & Trips and never have had to download updates for their product to work! Having to constantly download updates kind of defeats the entire purpose of using GPS software in the first place, because it cost time and loss time translates into less money in my pocket. Thus, not only does it cost you $500 just to play, you also pay for it in loss time and possible fines or worse.

I have S&T on this system right now. It would be reckless of me to NOT have it because it is an excellent program and helpful to truckers. The addresses are very accurate, the features are rich and easy, and the price is right. As a matter of fact, it's probably the most reasonably-priced product that Microsoft has ever come out with. $75 for the entire program AND a USB receiver is rather incredible coming from a company that I'm going to have to pay $700 for in the next month to get Windows 7 and the most current version of "Office." You will never hear me disparage S&T... unless they put out a crap version of it. BUT, lets be honest. If I followed the route on S&T it's gonna run be into a low bridge a WHOLE lot faster than a PCM Navigator, for instance. Is Microsoft going to reimburse me for that? And the author of your S&T has put out over 2000 file updates to my Windows XP since it came "out of the box." If they didn't, everyone would own a Mac, but they don't because software evolves and those that evolve with it survive.

Quote:

Look DieselBoss, I know you are just trying to help and I don’t mean to come off like a hard ass, but I have to call them as I see them, and so for the TND 500 is a great big fail exactly like all the other ones before it! In fact, I hope they lose their ass so other companies will take notice and next time think twice before they try to rip off truckers again!

You may come off as a hard-ass, but you are presenting legitimate arguments and well-spoken points. There is no way that an be ignored and I appreciate what you say. My motivation is to continue to provide accurate and fact-based analysis of lots of products that help drivers every day in that cab. This "gps thing" isn't going anywhere and I will continue to spend time and money separating fact from fiction on them, because I get dozens of calls every day about them. It's a hot topic, and controversial indeed, in the 2009 trucking world and if I can help bring clarity then I will.

Best regards out there man.

- Don

DieselBoss 10-09-2009 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 464831)
omg - would you be so STUPID and IGNORANT to follow the directions the device gave if it told you to go down a road with a 9' bridge? would you follow it if the road had a 10 ton limit? If so, that's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Almost as bad as some of the stories you hear about 4-wheelers wrecking because the gps told them to turn.

A GPS is a reference tool - it's not a damn autopilot - you DO still have to use your brain just a tad...

As for devices that don't work 100% each and every time they're sold, let's see what else there is:
Trucks - I've had trucks with 100 miles on them that had to go directly to the garage because the factory forgot to install the heater
Cars - I've seen a Cadillac with 3 miles on it that the transmission fell out of because the factory put 2 bolts in the transmission bell housing
Computers - I've pulled brand new computers out of the box that failed to even power on

I want to throw another piece of software out there - CoPilot Truck Laptop v11 - You want garbage? You want software that ALK KNOWS is screwed up but REFUSES to update? Cheap? Ya - $250 - real cheap. At least Rand-McNally is actually DOING the updates. Would you prefer something like CoPilot that they refuse to update? Myself, with all the updates RM is doing makes me consider buying it even more.

Good stuff. Well said man.

Glad Hand 10-13-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 464831)

Dude you are shooting the messenger again because you don’t like the message. Nevertheless, if you want to spend $500 on a defective unit that you know about beforehand for the privilege of becoming a glorified beta tester and possibly at the same time putting your truck-driving career at stake, then by all means please be my guess. Don’t let me stand in your way!

Malaki86 10-13-2009 11:18 PM

I paid $1,200 for my laptop. The day I paid for it, brought it home and plugged it in for the first time, it needed well over 50 updates. Did it make me mad? No. Why? Because it meant that HP, Microsoft, ATI, etc have worked to make the product better. It's just the way things are.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will ever be 100% perfect the first time around. As I said before, I'd rather have them releasing updates instead of doing the ALK route and ignoring the people that paid over $200 for a piece of software that won't even run.

As for the GPS putting my driving career at risk, let me ask you this hypothetical question:
A bridge crossing a river is struck by a loose barge. Because of the damage caused by the barge, the bridge is shut down for a short period, say 3 months, for repairs. During that shutdown period, you get a load that would normally take you across that bridge. You've crossed the bridge 100x before and your gps has always told you to go that way. Now, your gps is telling you to go across that bridge. What do you do? Follow the detour or crash through the barrier and go across the bridge anyway, because that's what your gps says to do?

A gps is a reference tool - it's not a 100% perfect device in any way shape or form. Roads change DAILY in the country, and as a driver, you know that. If you ignore a sign or local regulations to go into an area you shouldn't be, that's 100% on you, and you should be ridiculed because of it.

Glad Hand 10-14-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 465289)
I paid $1,200 for my laptop. The day I paid for it, brought it home and plugged it in for the first time, it needed well over 50 updates. Did it make me mad? No. Why? Because it meant that HP, Microsoft, ATI, etc have worked to make the product better. It's just the way things are.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will ever be 100% perfect the first time around. As I said before, I'd rather have them releasing updates instead of doing the ALK route and ignoring the people that paid over $200 for a piece of software that won't even run.

As for the GPS putting my driving career at risk, let me ask you this hypothetical question:
A bridge crossing a river is struck by a loose barge. Because of the damage caused by the barge, the bridge is shut down for a short period, say 3 months, for repairs. During that shutdown period, you get a load that would normally take you across that bridge. You've crossed the bridge 100x before and your gps has always told you to go that way. Now, your gps is telling you to go across that bridge. What do you do? Follow the detour or crash through the barrier and go across the bridge anyway, because that's what your gps says to do?

A gps is a reference tool - it's not a 100% perfect device in any way shape or form. Roads change DAILY in the country, and as a driver, you know that. If you ignore a sign or local regulations to go into an area you shouldn't be, that's 100% on you, and you should be ridiculed because of it.

Like I said, if you want to plunk down your $500 to play and become a glorified beta tester for Rand McNally then by all means go for it, and more power to you! :lol:

Malaki86 11-04-2009 12:27 PM

Have any detailed reviews on this yet?

DieselBoss 11-26-2009 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 466806)
Have any detailed reviews on this yet?

Yup. 6 weeks of testing so far on the books. I have revamped the entire GPS comparison chart to reflect our tests, including a huge software update yesterday from Rand McNally. If I had to boil it into one statement it would currently be: "We love the features (there are more than any other unit so far and this will raise the bar for all other truck GPS makers and ultimately be better for the driver/customer. The routing is still being tweaked and is not as "truck-accurate" as the newer PC Miler units in our tests, but it is decent. The screen and usability (ease of use) looks great in almost all categories. The POI information and ability to update it via a computer are superior to all other units at this time. We believe that early-implementers will love it (being that they understand that early implementation takes less "hand-holding" and the ability to update via computer more often than 2nd or 3rd generation of a particular technology) and that those wanting a lower price and more immediate route stability would rather a PCM brand, but again, Rand is doing very thorough "listening" to the actual drivers and the investment is solid at this time in our opinion."

The new (and basically only accurate) review and chart of the "top-3" is here: Truck driver GPS review comparison and rating features - Garmin, PC Miler, and Rand McNally TND

<insert opportunity for Glad Hand to promote Streets and Trips and the truck stops add-on into another portable device thread here>
`
`

geeshock 11-26-2009 10:20 AM

I can see that being my next gps, it sounds like it's a good tool overall. Of course nothing beats old fashioned research

Glad Hand 11-28-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeshock (Post 468697)
I can see that being my next gps, it sounds like it's a good tool overall. Of course nothing beats old fashioned research

Right on cue:

Yeah the sales literature sounds really awesome, that is until you read the actual user reviews that all read like horror stories. In any event, if you like a tool that consistently crashes on a regular and routine basis and always at the most inopportune times, that can't even find truck stops when they are located right across the street, that regularly tries to route you down roads with restricted routes and low clearances, that regularly stops functioning on roads that are legal for trucks because it thinks they are not legal for trucks, that likes to send you down narrow back-roads not made for trucks, and if you also like spending all of your available spare time uploading and downloading data to Rand McNally and being a glorified beta tester for which you had to pay $500 for the privilege, then I guess it is a pretty good device, if you like Chinese torture.

In any event, since most truck companies today already supply their drivers with a legal truck route at the time of dispatch, there isn't any GPS solution on the market that is even remotely worth $500. Give me Streets & Trips any day and it does a 10 times better job and without all the hassles, problems, brain damage, and time, and for only a whopping $28, which is what I paid the other day at Sam's for my 2010 version. Add the Truck Stops Plus template to it, which unlike the TND 500 can actually find the truck stops and super wal-marts I want to go to and route to them with pinpoint accuracy and also lets me confirm my routes do not contain restricted routes and low clearances from my laptop screen, then you actually have a solution that really works and for a tiny fraction of the $500 price Rand McNally charges and without all of the brain damage, hassle, and frustration.

Fredog 11-28-2009 11:10 PM

if they want me to test thier product, shouldnt they give it to me?

DieselBoss 12-04-2009 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 468988)
if they want me to test thier product, shouldnt they give it to me?

Actually they will if you bring enough to the table in terms of constructive feedback...

Joe_Diamold 12-15-2009 04:23 PM

I have tested this unit for over two weeks and it seems to track pretty well. Doesn't offer any of the issues that I had with the world nav units. A buddy of mine has the new garmin nuvi456t and he really likes it.

We're gonna swap for a week or so and compare results. I like garmin, always have. It wasn't available yet when I picked up the RM unit. Guess we'll see soon if I made a mistake or not.

I picked up my truck gps at 12volt-travel.com - The Online Truck Stop

Malaki86 01-16-2010 10:39 AM

I stopped at a Pilot the other day and noticed that they drastically cut the price on the TND 500. It was priced at $399.99. I guess they're not selling all that great.

Edit: just looked on the Rand-McNally site - the price is the same there as well - $399.99.
http://store.randmcnally.com/product...ute+tnd+500.do

To be honest, I'd love to see them with a software version of this that will run on laptops.

DieselBoss 01-28-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 472765)
I stopped at a Pilot the other day and noticed that they drastically cut the price on the TND 500. It was priced at $399.99. I guess they're not selling all that great.

Edit: just looked on the Rand-McNally site - the price is the same there as well - $399.99.

To be honest, I'd love to see them with a software version of this that will run on laptops.

On Jan 1st they reduced the minimum advertised price to $399 which is typical once a new product has been out after the initial introduction period. Garmin, PC Miler, WorlNav, Cobra - all have done the same.

FYI - all owners of the TND should check to ensure that they are running software version 1472 now as it is running much smoother in our ongoing tests than previous versions.

xcarsalesman 04-05-2010 12:51 PM

i am in the market for my first gps... any new updates on this gps?

freebrd 05-01-2011 05:40 AM

JUNK.
LISTEN GUYS!

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DONT FOOL WITH THE RAND MCNALLY!

IT S TRULY A PIECE OF SHEEIT!

ALSO THERE TECH SUPPORT IS NON EXISTANT.

I HAVE TALKED TO MARK ON HERE ALSO! NOTHIN BUT LIES!

HERES WHAT THEY WILL TELL YOU! SEND IT IN WILL SEND U A REPLACEMENT!

AND THEY WILL! IM ON MY THIRD ONE! THE LAST TWO SAID NO GPS! RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! JUST GOT HOME AND ANOTHER GPS UNIT IS BY THE DOOR!

NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP ON THIS ONE EITHER! WELL, GUESS WHAT "NO GPS" ON THIS ONE EITHER.

MARK,

cc194217
Truck Forum Supporter

THIS GUY HERE TOLD ME OVER A MONTH AGO HE WAS SENDING ME A C-MODEL LATER VERSION, I HAD THE B! IN TWO DAYS!
WELL, THAT NEVER SHOWED UP!
I TRULY BELIEVE RAND NO"S THERE GPS IS JUNK!
THEY KEEP COMING OUT WITH "NEWER" UNITS TO SUCKER US IN! THEY HAVE SURE PUT A SPIN ON ME!
FELLOW TRUCKERS! WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A NEW FORM OF A PONZY SCHEME!
OBVIOUSLY! THEY HAVE NO PLANS OF STANDING BEHIND THERE PRODUCT!
3-UNITS BAD RIGHT OUT THE BOX! WHAT ABOUT QUALITY CONTROL?
ARENT THEY SUPPOSE TO MAKE SURE THE GPS WORKS? I PAID $499.00 FOR MY UNIT AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABLEO USE IT!
YES! ITS WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT! THATS HOW LONG IVE BEEN DEALING WITH RAND MCNALLY AND THERE HIGH DOLLAR PAPER WEIGHT.
IT NEVER CEASESTO AMAZE ME HOW PEOPLE CAN LIE SO EASY AND WITHOUT CONSIOUS!
WELL, IVE HAD ENOUGH! ILL GET EVEN WITH THEM! THEY ARE ALL OVER THE TRUCKSTOPS.. ATLEAST $500.00 DOLLARS WORTH..