Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Product Reviews by Truckers for Truckers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-product-reviews-truckers-truckers-32/)
-   -   GPS for Truckers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-product-reviews-truckers-truckers/36074-gps-truckers.html)

John 11-03-2008 02:32 PM

GPS for Truckers

I've been doing some research on GPS units for truckers and it looks like the only one specificaly for truckers is CoPilot which is PC based. Does anyone know if there is a stand alone unit (like Garman or Tom Tom) that includes restricted roads due to weight, low bridges or hazmat? John

Malaki86 11-03-2008 04:11 PM

There's one unit out right now that is a standalone truck specific unit. However, it's absolute garbage. Do a search on here for "Worldnav" and you'll get your answers. I think someone said that they're going to be putting CoPilot Truck 11 on a standalone device, but that'd also be a huge mistake. CoPilot went to hell when they upgraded from version 9 to version 11.

John 11-05-2008 04:26 AM

Thanks Malaki! I did hear something about CoPilot 9 vs 11 and 11 wasn't very good. I also have checked out Worldnav and it doesn't sound very good either. I'm supprised there isn't a good trucker GPS available. There companies are missing out on a huge market!

Blind Driver 11-17-2008 12:55 AM

Microsoft make their "Streets and Trips" for big rigs. I think it's about $200+ or so.

Malaki86 11-17-2008 01:05 AM

Microsoft has a truck version? Have a link to it?

kentucky24 12-16-2008 05:17 AM

I know the feeling

world nav : junk
Copilot 11 sucks

Laptop
c pilot 9

Standalone

I use a devise called navigon
It works pretty well but keep in mind it is a car route so double check
Never rely on a gps any way you WILL see a low clearance

Copilot standalone

Verdict still out mixed results it does use the version 11 software so still glitches
Have not tested my self but plan to after holidays will update

If u need a fast cheap solution that's good
Radio shack sells navigon for 179
Comes with tracffic included for free and so far finds construction delays etc

I like it allot

I will test copilot standalone against this as it is the absolute best device I have had so far and I have had
Tom tom
Magel
Sony
Garmin

World nav
Co plt

Hope helps

Navigon.com I think is website and it has slot of cool features

John 12-28-2008 11:00 PM

Anyone know anything about WorldNav 7100 or the 3300? Looking at their site it looks to be pretty good. Is anyone using it and have any input?

Malaki86 12-28-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 431210)
Anyone know anything about WorldNav 7100 or the 3300? Looking at their site it looks to be pretty good. Is anyone using it and have any input?

Do a search on these forums for the WorldNav. Word is that it's garbage. I've never used one, but that's what I've heard about it.

John 12-29-2008 01:10 AM

PC Miler...any users?

What about PC Miler by CoPilot? If not, what is the BEST PGS out there for truckers????

Malaki86 12-29-2008 11:17 AM

PC Miler is a routing program written by ALK. CoPilot is a GPS navigation program written by ALK as well. CoPilot uses the PC Miler data.

I use CoPilot Truck 9 on a daily basis and I love it. However, ALK did a complete rewrite of CoPilot when they released version 11 and it's pretty much garbage. They're supposed to have version 12 out soon, which is supposed to fix all the problems they have in version 11.

Also, you can't rely on ANY program 100% when it comes to trucks. Even though it's made for trucks, it's definitely not perfect.

You can find more info on CoPilot by doing a search on these forums for "CoPilot".

sidman82 01-19-2009 11:12 PM

I would like to hear some reveiws on Copilot stade alone. It is in every truck stop and sold out. So somebody on here must use it. Reveiws.

I happy with what I have. But if it ever blows up, I would like input on Copilot stand alone unit for a replacemennt.

Malaki86 01-20-2009 12:07 AM

The standalone unit runs CoPilot 11. It's well documented that CoPilot 11 is garbage. I'd stay clear of it.

Sparks280zt 01-22-2009 10:11 PM

Why not just switch you Garmin to truck as your vehicle?

It will avoid low bridges and country roads.

BluHeeler 01-24-2009 05:40 AM

On this last trip out I bouight the CoPilot Navigator 430. That is the dash mounted unit that has been sold out. I found several at the 7 Feathers truck stop in southern Oregon. On sale it was $298.

I've only used it for a couple of weeks and it has made a couple of mistakes, but overall I am very pleased. I just got home and am going to download the manual for it. In the box you get a limited quick start guide.

I have been fumbling around figuring out as much as I can, and it has been pretty good. No GPS is 100% error free, I'm not sorry I bought this one.

I'll let you know more after I get the manual and use if for a few more weeks. Leaving for Spokane sunday and then to Los Angeles. Will be out for 2-3 weeks and I'm using it daily.

Stay tuned for more reports.

possum 01-24-2009 06:50 AM

I got the copilot 9 and like it but it to will put you in some bad places and if you got any power in your cb when you key up it will kill the copilot. I also got a Garmin c340 that works ok but the truck setting on it is for a 6 wheeler not a big truck. Bottom line, don't trust any of them 100%

Mystikal 01-24-2009 01:03 PM

I just use microsoft streets and trips and verify against google maps and the good 'ol trucker atlas. I downloaded a ton of POI's and import them when we have a hankering for a certain food or are looking for a store (walmart, sams club, target, etc...). Its cheaper and works just as well.

Earl 01-26-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 431274)
PC Miler is a routing program written by ALK. CoPilot is a GPS navigation program written by ALK as well. CoPilot uses the PC Miler data.

I use CoPilot Truck 9 on a daily basis and I love it. However, ALK did a complete rewrite of CoPilot when they released version 11 and it's pretty much garbage. They're supposed to have version 12 out soon, which is supposed to fix all the problems they have in version 11.

Also, you can't rely on ANY program 100% when it comes to trucks. Even though it's made for trucks, it's definitely not perfect.

You can find more info on CoPilot by doing a search on these forums for "CoPilot".

I just bought 11 but have not received it yet......$219 and $15 shipping online.....hope they allow a free upgrade if 11 is full of holes.

GPS for Laptop - buy GPS Now

DDCavi 02-06-2009 07:23 PM

Wasnt there a new GPS released this past nov-december that was supposed to be great? Im now in the market also...

EDIT: It was the "PCmiler Truck Navigator". It was being tested by DieselBoss but I havent heard any updates. I check the other thread and its covered in dust.

matcat 02-16-2009 01:34 PM

I've messed with most of the GPS systems out on the market, and personally I prefer TomTom. It is not designed for trucks, BUT it is VERY customizeable. I used TomTom 6 navigator, and I added in Low Clearance POI's with route avoidance, scale houses with 10 mile alarm, all truck stops added, and programmed to take freeways when possible. As far as restricted routes, Not much you can do for that, but I never had it give me directions I couldn't do. I would double check its route with atlas to make sure of course, and when going into a city I would manually program my route to make sure I wasn't wondering around in areas I shouldn't be.

DieselBoss 02-21-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDCavi (Post 437492)
Wasnt there a new GPS released this past nov-december that was supposed to be great? Im now in the market also...

EDIT: It was the "PCmiler Truck Navigator". It was being tested by DieselBoss but I havent heard any updates. I check the other thread and its covered in dust.

Well I best get ON THAT huh?

Ok, here's the scoop folks.

PC Miler Nav 430 has been out for just under 2 months now. We (dieselboss.com) and a few Love's and TA's got the first batch and it went out immediately. Then a few weeks later we got the second batch and it went out immediately. Earlier this month we (and a greater amount of truck stops) got the 3rd batch and now have stock available. Many of the truck stops put it out at $299 (plus the local sales tax) when it came out and some of them are still selling it at that price. How quickly it has sold is indicative of what you all already know - there are very few choices for truck routing GPS units on the market today.

Here are some bullet statements about the PCM430 units:

- The software is very similar in design to CoPilot Truck 11, but it is about a year newer on the maps and addresses. Just like CoPilot Truck, the addresses are more complete in the industrial and the urban areas. It does not have as many rural addresses in it as a Garmin or MS Streets does. So if you drive lot of "farm" loads, or "oil rig" loads and so forth, then you will have more problems with addresses than regular loads. However, it still lets you pick a spot on the maps to drive to, even if it doesn't know that address.

- It has an updated POI database, so it has the vast majority of truck stops and weigh stations, Wal-Marts, etc that were in existence prior to about October of 2008. For those of you who know about the "search for POI along my route" bug in CoPilot 11 - it is FIXED in the PCMiler Nav units. So that means that you can search for weigh stations or truck stops, etc on your route.

- It allows you to put up to 50 stops on a single trip and change the order of the stops, add your next fuel stop, etc.

- The screen is 4.3" touch-screen and does not fade out so bad in sunlight like the WorldNav units.

- The truck restriction routing (low bridges, HazMat, etc) is very good. It is right 99% of the time about keeping you on a proper truck route. HOWEVER, the unit comes to you in "default" mode when you get it. I wrote a "quick setup" guide on how to properly enter your truck height, weight, length, width, and road preferences. (these are expanded truck routing settings not found in CoPilot Truck) The quick start guide comes with any units that we ship, but not in the units in truck stops or other web sites. IF YOU DO NOT CREATE AND SAVE A CORRECT TRUCK ROUTE PROFILE when you get the PCM430, YOU WILL be upset with the route.

NOW, how about a problems with this first version of the Nav 430 you ask???

- The first batch that came out at around Christmas time had something wrong with some of the 12V charger cords. Also, that batch had something wrong with the way the software was loaded in some of the units. There were several of that batch that had to go in for warranty replacement within the first few weeks to get new cords and have the software reloaded.

- The second batch had the cords fixed, but still had software corruption issues to a much lesser extent.

- The current units available now have those fixed and we haven't seen them being returned for warranty now. The only thing that I have seen corrupt the software is when the driver lets the unit battery go dead while the program is still booted up and running. It runs on Windows CE and Windows does NOT like stopping abruptly by letting the battery go dead any more than your laptops do. Don't do that. Bad juju can happen. Keep it plugged or turn it completely off (not just "sleep" mode) when you are not going to use it for a while.

- One of the main complaints still is that the speaker is not loud enough once you are running down the road in the truck. I agree. They need to put a louder speaker in that thing in the future. Some of our drivers don't even turn up the volume so don't care about this, but for those who do, the only ways to get around it is to buy a small external speaker at Radio Shark or BestBuy, WalMart, etc and pug it into the speaker jack. The other way is to get an FM Transmitter and plug it into the speaker jack so you can hear it through your truck stereo once you get into the city and need to pay attention. Either one of those solutions will cost you $15 to $30 depending on what quality you buy.

- A WORD ABOUT SUPPORT. ALK Technologies tech support is extremely backed up since these units came out. It is nearly impossible to get immediate support on how to use the units or report a problem, unless you get it from us. We do in-house support for the PCM430's and CoPilot Truck if you bought them from us, so this eliminates that issue.

So to summarize: The units aren't perfect (but then again I don't believe that there is such a thing.) We would rate current rev of the Navigator 430 at about a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. We are vigorously feeding your experiences, complaints, and suggestions back to ALK to hopefully bring the future software / hardware changes so they then rate an 8 or a 9. We can only wait and see what the future (and ALK) holds there. So compared to the alternatives, it is really the only effective true truck route GPS still.

Note: For those of you who asked me to look into the upcoming truck GPS product release from Goodyear, I went to the CES convention in Vegas in January and met with them. They were very responsive and eager to release another player into the truck routing arena. They let me play with the beta unit and offer suggestions. I can report two things based on that meeting. (1) The thing is way ruggedized. Very nice looking hardware. and (2) the software on the unit I tested was NOT yet ready for trucker use. They were very clear in letting me know that their team was still finalizing the software and would have the issues that I saw eliminated by the time it is released (which is very soon by the way.) I will be getting one of those early units and you can be assured that we will run it through the paces for you. Just remember that it takes at LEAST a month of getting them in to driver's hands before anyone can really get a good handle on all of the issues and capabilities of the units.

There is a TON of rhetoric and blanket statements being thrown around the blogs and forums about truck GPS (this is "junk" "that's no good" or whatever.) We test and use them ALL. Members of THIS forum have the distinct advantage of getting the straight scoop on this stuff. Ask and you shall receive.

Hope this helps.

- Don

mike3fan 02-21-2009 01:42 AM

what about map and software updates? are they available? cost?

Malaki86 02-21-2009 04:04 AM

Personally, I'm DONE with ALK. After their major F-up with CoPilot 11 and not releasing any patches for it, and now they say the next version won't be out until November at the earliest.

Sorry, they charge WAY too much money for a product that they don't support, and don't seem to care about. A year and a half for a release? Screw that.

DieselBoss 02-23-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan (Post 439685)

They are not available as yet becasue the product is brand new. When we ask, they say that they are working on an upgrade policy now that is likely to involve using the SD card slot located on the right side of the units. As Malaki has said, they don't have a great track record with the CoPilot 11 upgrade policy and he is justifiably upset with that. When I hear solid info on the upgrade policy I'll hit this thread.

Glad Hand 05-21-2009 05:58 PM

I’ve been using Streets & Trips for years. It’s all you need. I also loaded a **** load of POIs from POI factory. However, more often than not they weren’t in the correct places so I gave up on that. Anyway, my wife got me the Truck Stops Plus template for Christmas. It is an add-on template that adds all the truck stops, rest areas, turnpike travel plazas, picnic areas, scales, super walmarts, etc. You can find and route to truck stops in 1/50 the time it takes to do it with a truck stop directory Plus you can check for restricted routes and low clearances with it too. I don’t know how they do it but it’s super accurate and I can’t recommend it enough. She bought it from ebay but they also have a website where they sell it too.

As for as truck specific routing, I was reading on another website that it is impossible since the maps are always at best 2 to 3 years old at the time they are released for sale to the public. Which is why they always have roads missing. Therefore, if someone comes out with a GPS for trucks it will be like playing Russian roulette. I would never trust my career to anything unless I knew for sure it was fool proof. GPS systems are wonderful tools, especially on foggy nights, but you still have to use common sense and can’t depend on them a 100 percent. If you could, they would just do away with us truck drivers and use robots instead.

DieselBoss 07-22-2009 11:42 PM

PCM43 update

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan (Post 439685)

Ok, they put up a site for the Navigator updates here: PC*MILER Navigator new software

I've been testing it this week and here is what I can report on it:

- Large update to the maps. Thousands of new address, corrections, and new roads. Trucking restrictions and low bridges, etc, also extensively updated.

- Some small cosmetic changes to the software.

- Fixed the "false warnings" about being on a "trucking restricted" road (especially in Illinois.)

- Points of interest, including truck stops and weigh stations updated. A huge addition to these in Canada also.

They want $99 for the annual update unless you got one after June 15th (in which it is then free.)

DieselBoss 07-22-2009 11:51 PM

Truck GPS features comparison

On a related note, I have been beating the crap out of the PC Miler, Garmin 465T, and Goodyear GY500X trucker GPS's for the last 2 months due to all of the questions we are getting about the "differences." I created a large chart so drivers can get a clearer picture as to what we have found to be the differences between them here: Truck driver GPS review comparison and rating features - Garmin, PC Miler, and Goodyear

mike3fan 07-23-2009 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselBoss (Post 456877)
On a related note, I have been beating the crap out of the PC Miler, Garmin 465T, and Goodyear GY500X trucker GPS's for the last 2 months due to all of the questions we are getting about the "differences." I created a large chart so drivers can get a clearer picture as to what we have found to be the differences between them here: Truck driver GPS review comparison and rating features - Garmin, PC Miler, and Goodyear

Interesting. To me the Goodyear is out, and looks like by comparison the PcMiler is a better option for $150 less than the Garmin. Would be interested in your comments after using them to see if I'm close on my assumptions?

DieselBoss 07-24-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan (Post 456890)
Interesting. To me the Goodyear is out, and looks like by comparison the PcMiler is a better option for $150 less than the Garmin. Would be interested in your comments after using them to see if I'm close on my assumptions?

Pretty close. One of the complaints I have about all 3 of the current units is that the screen needs to be a little bigger and the units somewhat louder. In 2 weeks we'll be pushing out the 5" and 7" PC Miler with the new software. All things considered, I thing the PCM540 will be the one to beat very shortly (at $100 less than the smaller Garmin as well.)