Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Product Reviews by Truckers for Truckers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-product-reviews-truckers-truckers-32/)
-   -   New cobra 29 cb with bluetooth (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-product-reviews-truckers-truckers/34749-new-cobra-29-cb-bluetooth.html)

bigpapa7272 07-26-2008 11:33 AM

New cobra 29 cb with bluetooth

Hey guys,

do any of you out there have that new cobra 29 cb with bluetooth? IF you do how is it?? If not do you plan on purchasing one?

I just bought one off ebay brand new for 130 bucks shipped and want to see what you guys think of it.

Thanks for your input.

Double R 07-26-2008 12:38 PM

Bought mine three weeks ago. Petro got them early. The CB works fine, just like any Cobra 29. The Bluetooth part, that is way I got it and glad I did. Very clear. It sounds like the caller is sitting next to you. I have an external speaker hooked up to mine. Everyone I call on it says that I am very clear also. They cannot hear background nose.

Fredog 07-26-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double R
Bought mine three weeks ago. Petro got them early. The CB works fine, just like any Cobra 29. The Bluetooth part, that is way I got it and glad I did. Very clear. It sounds like the caller is sitting next to you. I have an external speaker hooked up to mine. Everyone I call on it says that I am very clear also. They cannot hear background nose.

when using the phone part . do you have to key the mic every time you talk?

Double R 07-26-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

No. The mic acts as a speaker phone. You do not have to PTT. Just talk and the caller can hear you. I have mine set up so the mic is close to me so I don't even have to hold it. Just talk.

Fredog 07-26-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

No. The mic acts as a speaker phone. You do not have to PTT. Just talk and the caller can hear you. I have mine set up so the mic is close to me so I don't even have to hold it. Just talk.

thanks. in that case, I think I will get one

Roadhog 07-26-2008 05:21 PM

Sounds good Double R. 8)

I need to spend some rewards money. :lol:
Haven't had anything come along in a while I felt like buying.

I'm not happy with the bluetooth on my Garmin.
Not sure I really need another CB...
I should go in my basement and count how many I have now, of course some are old 23 ch. and a big stack of antennas. :roll:
I hate my basement... it has too much evidence against me.

Snowman7 07-26-2008 06:27 PM

I thought about getting one last month. My brother works for Cobra headquarters and he gets me everything cheap as hell on his employee discount. I would get one but the bluetooth button is in the mic therefore you cant ever use an after market mic. Stock mic's sound like crap, especially Cobra's. I use their radios but with an Astatic mic. Nice to know they work good though. The only other feedback I got was from my brother and that was what his coworkers said. Yeah! I'm sure they're not biased!

Jimbpard 07-26-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7
I would get one but the bluetooth button is in the mic therefore you cant ever use an after market mic. Stock mic's sound like crap, especially Cobra's.

I've ran back with Double R across the PA pike a few times recently and his mic sounds crystal clear. I'm trying to sell my Cobra 29 black chrome edition now to get the bluetooth.

Double R 07-26-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbpard
Quote:

I would get one but the bluetooth button is in the mic therefore you cant ever use an after market mic. Stock mic's sound like crap, especially Cobra's.

I've ran back with Double R across the PA pike a few times recently and his mic sounds crystal clear. I'm trying to sell my Cobra 29 black chrome edition now to get the bluetooth.

And that is with the Talk Back OFF and the Dynamic set at half.

thebaldeagle655 07-26-2008 08:37 PM

My problem with the BT CB is, like said earlier, the Blue Tooth is in the microphone. I won't get one until there is a readily available supply of replacement microphones at a reasonable price at the truckstops. I don't want to end up on the road with a non-functional CB and no bluetooth to talk the phone with due to a microphone (which is the weakest link in a CB) failure.

I am glad to hear however that you can hang the mic close enough to be heard clearly without having to hold it in your hand. I was wondering about the legality of it this radio and the "hands-free" laws in California as well as numerous cities around the country!

Snowman7 07-26-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbpard
Quote:

After my big money Magnum got stolen out of my truck I got the black chrome 29 too. I didnt want to lose another expensive one.

bigpapa7272 07-26-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
My problem with the BT CB is, like said earlier, the Blue Tooth is in the microphone. I won't get one until there is a readily available supply of replacement microphones at a reasonable price at the truckstops. I don't want to end up on the road with a non-functional CB and no bluetooth to talk the phone with due to a microphone (which is the weakest link in a CB) failure.

I am glad to hear however that you can hang the mic close enough to be heard clearly without having to hold it in your hand. I was wondering about the legality of it this radio and the "hands-free" laws in California as well as numerous cities around the country!

well look at it this way if you have the mic hanging close to where you can speak and not have to hold it. I think it would be hands free as long as your not holding the mic

obiedon 07-27-2008 09:01 PM

My guess, most law enforcement will think you are talking on the CB if you are holding the mike and that is legal. So no worries. I'm going to buy one just as soon as I scratch a few $$ together. Funny how my company wants us to obey the law but they have changed all the phones out , so they are not hands free :?

bigpapa7272 07-27-2008 10:30 PM

i find it insanely stupid that you cant talk on a cell phone but you can talk on the cb

Malaki86 07-29-2008 12:11 AM

I think I'll hold off to see if they'll put out the Cobra 29 Bluetooth with WX & Nightwatch first. If they do, I'll be selling my Galaxy 949.

BanditsCousin 07-29-2008 02:30 AM

I bought mine 2 nights ago. My cheapo Cobra took a poop so I wanted to hang with the big boys. Been running so hard I haven't even read the manual or used the bluetooth option, but I got a day off coming up soon.

obiedon 08-09-2008 12:12 AM

Got my 29 LTD BT today. I called my safety guy after I installed it and paired it with the company phone. He said it sounded good, but like you are on a speakerphone. I can't wait to go to work tomorow and put this thing through it's paces. I tried calling Cobra, but the helpline was already closed. Anybody know if you can pair more than one phone to these radios? I got it to make using the company phone safer so even if you can only pair one phone , it was worth it. Anybody use the voice dialing feature yet? If so, how did it work. Oh yeah mine was peaked and tweaked also. :D

Double R 08-09-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obiedon
Got my 29 LTD BT today. I called my safety guy after I installed it and paired it with the company phone. He said it sounded good, but like you are on a speakerphone. I can't wait to go to work tomorow and put this thing through it's paces. I tried calling Cobra, but the helpline was already closed. Anybody know if you can pair more than one phone to these radios? I got it to make using the company phone safer so even if you can only pair one phone , it was worth it. Anybody use the voice dialing feature yet? If so, how did it work. Oh yeah mine was peaked and tweaked also. :D

If I recall right, the manual that came with it(you did read that, right?) says that you can pair as many as you want with it. If I get a chance, I'll get the manual out this weekend and check.

Roadhog 08-09-2008 12:38 AM

Here is the manual off the site...you can view it in PDF if you want, and save it to a file.
http://cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...lay&page_id=22

I usually always download manuals to my documents. Easier finding them later. :P

From the site link...
http://cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...category_ID=45

murray 08-09-2008 04:46 PM

I was also thinking about getting one, but only if it works on the 10-4 for my phone, that's all I use most of the time esspiecially on the south side of the border, haven't had time to enquire, do any of you know if it works on the 10-4?

obiedon 08-11-2008 12:36 AM

Can't have more than one phone at a time paired to it :sad:

doctorfillgood 08-11-2008 08:39 PM

Bluetooth

anybody know if you can use your bluetooth earbug with the cb for the phone instead of useing the mic

obiedon 08-12-2008 01:40 AM

Re: Bluetooth

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorfillgood
anybody know if you can use your bluetooth earbug with the cb for the phone instead of useing the mic

No you can't. I talked to Cobra today and only one Bluetooth item can be paired at a time to the C.B. So if you paired your headset the phone wouldn't work with it. Also the shop I bought my radio from tried the Cobra plug in mike for the Bluetooth and said the sound was complete crap. He has however made a custom mike that is better than what the radio comes with, according to him.

Phantom433a 09-13-2008 10:19 PM

Blue tooth is a fad just like cb's....I would wait until they got the telegraph setup for big trucks before I invested. :wink: