Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Product Reviews by Truckers for Truckers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-product-reviews-truckers-truckers-32/)
-   -   A new laptop (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-product-reviews-truckers-truckers/28912-new-laptop.html)

terrylamar 08-12-2007 12:46 AM

A new laptop

My current computer, a Toshiba Sattelite 40 needs repair. Current estimate is $150.00 for cooling fans to $900.00 for a new board. I can't see myself spending over $1K to repair my current computer. I am thinking about buying a new laptop. I read all the ratings I can find. Can any of you nerds out there recommend a computer with essential add ons for $2K and under? I've used the "build your computer" feature on several sites and keep on building a laptop that is going to cost me $5K+. That is more than I want to spend on a laptop that will be obsolete last week. Any suggestions?

Malaki86 08-12-2007 12:57 AM

My laptop is just over a year old now, and I love it.

I have an HP Pavilion DV8000 - the computer has a AMD Turion 64 that runs at 2ghz. It came with 1gig of ram and has dual 80gig drives, as well as the dvd/cd burner. It also has a 17" screen. I paid just about $1,400 for it at Sam's Club.

Best bet - go to Circuit City, Best Buy, etc and look at them. You can buy a really good, fairly high end laptop for under $1,500. Also, right now most places have them on sale for Back-to-School.

Here's a couple that I found that I would buy if I was replacing mine:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1180743304855
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1180743304715

Like I said, they're easy to find. Just jump on their sites and see what they have in stock. I personally wouldn't recommend a custom built machine unless you're heavily into gaming, video production, etc.

terrylamar 08-12-2007 01:07 AM

My problem, with anything that I buy, is if there is an upgraded feature, I want it. If it cost more it should be better, right? In truth, I will be using it out on the road. I need to connect to the internet. I surf and write a few emails. I am considering a Masters Program so I may need additional features.

Malaki86 08-12-2007 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrylamar
My problem, with anything that I buy, is if there is an upgraded feature, I want it. If it cost more it should be better, right? In truth, I will be using it out on the road. I need to connect to the internet. I surf and write a few emails. I am considering a Masters Program so I may need additional features.

It's not always better if you pay more.

I saw one laptop on best buy's site - hp pavilion, intel centrino duo, 200gig hard drive, 17" monitor, nvidia 7600 video. For about $1,400. That's a great machine. It'll do what you need it do to. My home system is comparable to that.

flood 08-13-2007 06:48 AM

ram, and hd are the only things you realy need to upgrade "more is better" a few years ago tech-tv did a thing on laptops and the only one still working when thy were done was a dell.

we have that this hp ze4900 in the truck for 2 years and it does anything we need and we got it at a pawn shop for $400.

terrylamar 08-27-2007 01:11 AM

I bought a new Dell Latitude D830. 1.80 GHzm 2MB RAM , internal Verizon card and a few other goodies. It came in during the week, so I didn't get it until Friday. I don't have all the software for it yet, so I couldn't do much. I was packing to go out this morning, when I arrived at my truck, I opened the door and my brand new computer fell out onto the pavement. I woke the neighborhood with my cursing. I have a few dings in the case. No other damage. It seems to work fine. I guess I don't have to worry about normal dings anymore.

Does anyone know what a powered USB port is supposed to look like? Mine has two USB ports one on top of the other. The top one has what looks like a corner chipped off. I can't tell for sure even with a magnifying glass.

Malaki86 08-27-2007 11:17 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know what a powered USB port is supposed to look like? Mine has two USB ports one on top of the other. The top one has what looks like a corner chipped off. I can't tell for sure even with a magnifying glass.

Are you thinking of a powered USB hub instead? There are 2 types of USB hubs - powered and unpowered. How to tell the difference? A powered hub has a power adapter, the unpowered doesn't.

The port you may be looking at is probably a firewire port. It basically looks like a stretched out "D".

terrylamar 09-02-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:

Are you thinking of a powered USB hub instead? There are 2 types of USB hubs - powered and unpowered. How to tell the difference? A powered hub has a power adapter, the unpowered doesn't.

The port you may be looking at is probably a firewire port. It basically looks like a stretched out "D".

I looked up a powered USB hub and it is not a hub. It is a Powered USB Port according to Dell and what information I can find on the internet. I cannot find a picture of a Powered USB Port that looks exactly like mine, so I'm still unsure if mine is chipped or not.

Malaki86 09-02-2007 04:33 PM

To the best of my knowledge there are only 4 types of USB ports:

A
B
Mini-A
Mini-B

The "A" type are basically rectangles. About 1/8" high, 1" long.
The "B" type look like a house if you look at the end of it. If the 2 corners weren't "clipped" it would be square - about 1/4" on the sides.

matcat 09-16-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86
To the best of my knowledge there are only 4 types of USB ports:

A
B
Mini-A
Mini-B

The "A" type are basically rectangles. About 1/8" high, 1" long.
The "B" type look like a house if you look at the end of it. If the 2 corners weren't "clipped" it would be square - about 1/4" on the sides.

There are literally dozens of to spec usb types, but as far as any computer goes, desktop, laptop, etc, ALL have A connectors on them, your device could use anything, and usually comes with the correct A to whatever USB cable.

Some laptops have firewire and even SATA connectors now, Firewire is great if your into high end video equipment, or fast external harddrives, SATA is a new spec for harddrives.