Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Product Reviews by Truckers for Truckers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-product-reviews-truckers-truckers-32/)
-   -   GPS Software & Vista (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-product-reviews-truckers-truckers/28527-gps-software-vista.html)

BiGG T33 07-26-2007 12:44 AM

GPS Software & Vista

Sup everyone,
I have been reading posts on all these Gps Softwares for laptops and i was wanting to know if anyone is running any Gps Software on a Laptop running Vista Operating system..I'm Wanting to get Co-Pilot Truck LapTop 9 but their website says nothing about vista...any info would be great thx again and be safe out there.

Rev.Vassago 07-26-2007 01:39 AM

I'm using Delorme Street Atlas 2006 on a Vista machine, and it works fine (except I can't get it to talk to me). I haven't tried to fix it yet.

flood 07-26-2007 05:55 AM

hay Rev.Vassago
stay away from Delorme Street Atlas 2008 i just loaded it and thy changed the route color from red to this lite yellow and made it 3x as wide. hard as hell to see and in nite mode you almost can't see the route at all. i'm still using XP

Malaki86 07-26-2007 10:43 AM

Re: GPS Software & Vista

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp33dbump
Sup everyone,
I have been reading posts on all these Gps Softwares for laptops and i was wanting to know if anyone is running any Gps Software on a Laptop running Vista Operating system..I'm Wanting to get Co-Pilot Truck LapTop 9 but their website says nothing about vista...any info would be great thx again and be safe out there.

I called ALK not long after Vista came out and asked about it. They said CoPilot "should" run with no problems under Vista. They may have new information on it by now.

Also, consider waiting a month or two. The new version is supposed to be out in August or September (from what I was told when I called them last month). That'll save having to spend the extra money to upgrade. Again, I'd call and ask them about this.

BiGG T33 07-26-2007 12:53 PM

yea i probably will wait if there's a newer verison coming out...I have been to Dieselboss website and they are saying it works http://www.dieselboss.com/Travrout/cptfeatures.htm and when i emailed ALk they said no it don't lol.. I'm going to call them today and find out whats up.
I'm going to buy Ms Street with gps today and i was wndering if i can use one then one GPS on a laptop?

thx for advice and answers
be Safe out there!

Malaki86 07-26-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

yea i probably will wait if there's a newer verison coming out...I have been to Dieselboss website and they are saying it works http://www.dieselboss.com/Travrout/cptfeatures.htm and when i emailed ALk they said no it don't lol.. I'm going to call them today and find out whats up.
I'm going to buy Ms Street with gps today and i was wndering if i can use one then one GPS on a laptop?

thx for advice and answers
be Safe out there!

Yes - you can use the GPS receiver from Streets with CoPilot. That's exactly what I did. CoPilot finds the receiver with no problems what so ever.

BiGG T33 07-26-2007 04:33 PM

Called ALk today and talked to Tech Support and he confirmed it will work with Vista But it will Not work in a 64 bit Enviroment...

Well the laptop i bought has a AMD TurionTM 64 X2 Dual Core Processor TL-64 (2.2GHz,1MB) ...i'm looking to see if i can pick 32 bit or 64 bit...like i can with current system (desktop) picking 16 bit or 32 bit..

Also i asked about the next verison and he said sept / oct when i purchase this version that i can ask sales about free upgrade to newest verison.

Be Safe Out there!

rboit33 07-26-2007 10:47 PM

im using Copilot 9 and running Vista Ultimate works just fine,and you have to have a seperate instal for both 32bit and 64 bit versions of vista

BiGG T33 07-28-2007 03:15 AM

before i buy CoPilot Truck | Laptop 9 should i go with USB or Blue tooth verison?

also this is my first laptop and i was wondering if i will need a power inverter or something to charge batteries or have constant power...\

thx again
Be safe out There!

Malaki86 07-28-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

before i buy CoPilot Truck | Laptop 9 should i go with USB or Blue tooth verison?

also this is my first laptop and i was wondering if i will need a power inverter or something to charge batteries or have constant power...

If you use the bluetooth version, you'll need to constantly put the receiver on a charger. From what I've seen in the specs for them, most receivers only have a 6-8 hour run time on the battery. I use the usb.

You'll need a small power inverter to run the laptop. My laptop is fairly high-end and only has a 65 watt power adapter. I have a 400 watt Coleman inverter I picked up at a T/A and it runs my setup perfectly. Also, this inverter plugs into a cigarette lighter socket, so there's no permanent wiring to worry about.