Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Product Reviews by Truckers for Truckers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-product-reviews-truckers-truckers-32/)
-   -   slingbox? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-product-reviews-truckers-truckers/21791-slingbox.html)

headborg 04-08-2008 04:34 AM

I was thinking, if it still doesn't work out very well for watching tv remotely- I might just bring it out on the truck with me and hook it up to a camera- and stream live video out to whomever wanted to watch me go down the road...or i should say--watch the mile posts go by.

headborg 09-25-2008 05:54 AM

Having a problem with mine-- I can't find it( remotely --via the internet) .. don't know why it suddenly quit working...guess I'll have to trouble shoot it when I get home.

finger_lakes 09-25-2008 12:56 PM

Does anyone use TV tuner USB cards with ther laptops? If so how do they work?

MommaKay 09-25-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finger_lakes
Does anyone use TV tuner USB cards with ther laptops? If so how do they work?

After 10 months on the road, trying to watch TV on my laptop using my aircard (AT&T) once in a blue moon when I have a strong-enough 3G signal that it actually works, I finally broke down this week and ordered a Diamond ATSC HDTV usb tuner for my laptop. I go back out tomorrow for a couple of weeks and will try to remember to give a report on how well it works for me.

I had to get a Cardbus USB2 adapter since my Dell Inspiron is an older model that only has USB1.1 onboard, so that increased the price a little. Even so, the tuner (approximately thumbdrive form factor) plus adapter only ran about $100, and I don't have to carry yet another appliance in the truck.

Malaki86 09-25-2008 04:09 PM

I used to run a tv tuner in my truck. It worked fine, but most of the time I'm in areas that are lucky to have a telephone, let alone any tv channels I could pick up.

Besides, almost everything I watch is on HBO, Showtime, Discovery or History channels, so the tuner didn't help out.

The tuner did fine though. I had no issues with it. If your laptop is a little old, the picture may be a little jumpy. My laptop was a 2ghz AMD and the picture was perfect.

headborg 10-05-2008 11:07 PM

Got my sling box working again. Funny thing is- I was out on the road and called the little mrs. and was trying to trouble shoot the problem on the phone. I was accusing the (grown adult- child- still freeloading off us) of messing with the router-- as he often claims my Slingbox hogs all the bandwidth on our broadband. I remember specifically asking her to track down the ethernet cable and let me know if it was unplugged or something. I assumed she'd notice the fact that the cable was damaged where it got shut in the door jam repeatedly. But guess not! Anyway, I drilled a hole in the wall and passed it through there-- another somewhat better temp solution. But it works again!

dobry4u 10-05-2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headborg (Post 417010)
I was accusing the (grown adult- child- still freeloading off us) of messing with the router-- as he often claims my Slingbox hogs all the bandwidth on our broadband.

I have one of those....too bad they don't make an income from blowing up terrorist :rolleyes:

headborg 10-05-2008 11:59 PM

and World of Warcraft, Halo, and all the others....and GuitarHero

headborg 10-18-2008 01:39 AM

Hey, just got an update of the Slingbox Software.. this Version 2 makes the image quality much better-- and since they've increased the slight delay ( so you can pause the "live" tv- rewind it- and all that-- the video streaming is improved as well. No more-- hanging up when you have a weak aircard signal- it's still not the greatest-- but a great improvement. :D

vavega 10-21-2008 11:08 PM

malakai

have you tried orb? check out the hardware requirements listed under download. it's not for everyone, but it's free. ;)