User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default GPS For Trip Planning

Does anyone use a GPS program, such as "Co-Pilot"? My husband and I just finished the 11 day training at Schneider. We will be out on the road teaming together in about 3 weeks. We would like any input regarding GPS programs for a laptop computer. Please explain what specific things you like or prefer about the one you have chosen or seen.

Thanks !!! [/b]
Old 07-23-2005, 03:01 PM
Senior Board Member

I had a student with me and he asked if he could use his GPS, I said,"great I'd like to see how they work!"
Simple trip, pretty much straight line on the "big road!' That thing was wanting us to exit, I don't know how many times, only to get back on!
Needless to say I was unimpressed! I was impressed that it did show truckstops, and chicken coops and the mile post they were at!
I'm sure they are an asset, and should be used if you have them, BUT you still can't replace the Motor Carriers Atlas (and all it has to offer, not just maps!) common sense, a truckstop guide, and the other big one......experience!
Old 07-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your response Freebird. I agree they shouldn't replace the Atlas, but instead give you a general trip plan that you can "tweak". I also thought it would be helpful for finding your destination in a city. :P
Old 07-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Senior Board Member

I have PC Miler, and Streets and Trips on my laptop.
Agreed, anything that can make the trip less stressful, should be used!
Best of all, it's all a tax deduction in the end!!
Old 07-23-2005, 03:50 PM

I have streets and trips, and it works pretty well. The only thing it doesn't have is restricted roadway information. If they added that type of info and added such parameters to the search function, it would be ideal.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Default GPS

I tested 5 GPS systems before settling on ALK PcMiller.

First using a GPS meant for a car does not know about low clearances, and roads designated for trucks. In particular roads where commercial vehicles are prohibited. However, if you check the route against the Road Atlas I found these products cheaper and the street atlas features to be better.

I tried ProMIles XF. The Fuel optimizer feature would be a pretty valuable asset if you were an owner/operator. Download the current fuel prices and it will route to the most practical and set up fuel stops to ensure the best fuel prices. I was very disappointed that XF can not use a GPS (works off a special qualcom service) It does plan rest stops given 11 hours driving and 10 hours of rest and has a table of all the speed limits for the US.. This was a neat feature except it assumes maximum speed limits even though the route climbs well know passes that have lower speed limits. You could quickly set the trip up and accept the pre-plan thinking you can make it when in fact you would be hours late, and for $800 (NO GPS Features) I would expect the software to have a better database of places to sleep in addition to truck stops. Like the data in the book "The Next Exit". BTW) the cheaper ProMiles Truck Miles does function with a GPS.

I settled on ALK Laptop PCMIller for $399. So far in my testing it has worked very well. I have ran some tests and I have not experienced exiting and getting on the freeway .. yet. I am thinking the software mentioned that did this was set for shortest route rather than practical route.

One additional thought if I might ..... there is a journal out there where the driver relied very heavily on his GPS especially in New Jersey and New York. His computer decided to take a hike and he ended up in a precarious position. When I flew I had lots of electronic awareness displays like Terrain, VFR map, IFR MAP etc .. but I still followed along on paper. Electrical things tend to go wrong and thus in my opinion should be an aid and not the only tool. Just a thought
Old 07-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Rookie

This is the one I was looking at:

www.dieselboss.com/Travrout/cptruck.htm

I think it would be a great tool, while manually using the atlas to double check low clearances etc... As newbies, my husband and I can use all the help we can get. :roll: :wink: :roll:

Thanks for your responses [/url]
Old 07-24-2005, 03:06 PM

Hey All,

I have Tried Most Mapping Software Applications

1. Streets and Trips
2. Co-Pilot
3. Pro Miles (No GPS Support included, add on GPS support does not do street to street routing due to liability issues{I went round and round on the phone with them}
4. Delorme Street Atlas USA (I have beta Tested the new 2006 release due out in august)

I Have to Agree Nothing replaces the Rand Mcnally atlas and experience.

No Software Application will ever be perfect, Most companies recieve their GIS Data from USGS and it is rarely accurate

Right now my Choice for Planning for me is a Street Atlas USA 2006
I do not have the full version yet but they have a ton of new features
and they are saying the new POI (Points of interests) will include most truck facilities and will be GPS Accurate
also they Pro version comes on 2 DVD's and includes over 3 Million Business Telephone Listings( This comes in handy when looking for a shipper/reciever and the Directions on the Quallcomm are not so good or missing) as well as an address book. :wink:

You can also draw roads and make your own restrictions, if enough truckers get together with street atlas, I will make a website to collect restrictions and roads

www.delorme.com Standard $50 Pro $99

I dont think most software will have low clearance / restricted info for some time
http://truckerweatherwatch.org
Old 07-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Board Regular

Me I use pc miler and microsoft streets and trips as well as the directions to places given to me by the company off the qualcomm
Old 08-04-2005, 03:32 AM

I'm currently using MS Streets & Trips with GPS and I'm disappointed with it. Paid $129+tax at Office Max. A week after buying it, I saw Delorme advertised for $99.

Things I don't like about Streets & Trips:

No warning about upcoming turns.

No warning if you stray off course.

It won't remember detours from a previous trip (I force detours around prohibited streets, low clearances, lightweight bridges, etc. )

Directions pane won't scroll automatically, has to be done manually.

Won't remember waypoints from previous trip.

I've read the Help instructions. If there is an easy way around these problems, I haven't been able to find it.

I've used Delorme maps in the past without the GPS feature, and it seems to be engineered much better than Microsoft.