Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd5th7th8th
Things I don't like about Streets & Trips:

No warning about upcoming turns.

No warning if you stray off course.

It won't remember detours from a previous trip (I force detours around prohibited streets, low clearances, lightweight bridges, etc. )

Directions pane won't scroll automatically, has to be done manually.

Won't remember waypoints from previous trip.

I've read the Help instructions. If there is an easy way around these problems, I haven't been able to find it.

...an easy way?
Sure, it's called an atlas, maybe write down on paper (keep it simple!) the roads or highways you need and refer to them!
I wouldn't want to depend on anything electronic to make a trip, as a backup maybe, but that's it!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:15 PM

Afraid Of Technology?
http://truckerweatherwatch.org
Old 08-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

IMO- The only game in town anymore is ALK Tech's Co-Pilot Laptop - Truck version.

Routing SPECIFICALLY for trucks. Plus a LOT of great other features. I feel it was WELL worth the $411 shipped price.

But always have a Motor Carrier Atlas, Truck Stop guide, pencils, paper, and a calculator around in case.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd love to try out Co-Pilot, but i'm not about to spend that kind of money if it doesn't do exactly what i want it to. I wish they'd come out with a demo version of it.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I'd love to try out Co-Pilot, but i'm not about to spend that kind of money if it doesn't do exactly what i want it to. I wish they'd come out with a demo version of it.
100% money-back 30 day trial. Just make sure the box/info is re-sealable so they can sell it again.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Rookie

I'd just like to add my two cents here, When I first started driving I used to get lost, I went out on a limb and bought a very nice 17inch wide screen laptop, microsoft streets and trips 2006, delorme street atlas usa, and the trusty paper map, some of you people say oh use paper map use paper map, I hate to break it to you guys, but the same errors which are on the gps softwares are in the large paper atlas's too, when I ran 48 states I constantly ran up to roads which no longer exist, or roads that really were not designed for trucks all the same as with the computer maping.

I guess what i'm getting at here is just use your head, there is never a reason to roll under a low clearance, always plan your routes using which ever source you have for finding the information, but for those of you which are anti-gps, try it, it will change the way you drive, how you plan your trips, get you to shp or con much quicker and save you fuel from less driven miles, planning time is reduced to about... 5 seconds in most cases? its rare you roll up to a low clearance anyways and 90% of the time, you can roll with what it gives you, and it will always be the shortest, most practical way to get where you are going. the main thing to remember is to configure your road options, avoid city streets where possible, and you will hit nothing but us hwys and interstate, no problems there.

alright maybe that was three cents, but thats my view on it after a year of using this stuff, and my computer has not crashed once, i have not experienced any situation where i was unable to use it except in a bad snow storm where i had to pull over anyways.

so there you have it, if you can afford it, get yourself a good laptop and you wont have problems with the computer crapping out ($1000+) and the cheap gps software like delorme street atlas usa 2006 is fine, dont waste 400+ on some truck software, always compare your route given to a low clearance and restricted route list.

cheers.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Board Regular

Copilot will do exactly what you need it to do.

Buy it, You will not be dissapointed.
This is comming from someone who has Streets and trips,Delorme and rand mc nalleys 2002 tripmaker
Old 02-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce750
Copilot will do exactly what you need it to do.

Buy it, You will not be dissapointed.
This is comming from someone who has Streets and trips,Delorme and rand mc nalleys 2002 tripmaker

Fierce ...

I would agree with you that it (Co-Pilot] routes you along truck routes and it has some POI's specific to trucks ... but I was disappointed in the trip planning features and here is why ..

1. A major part of trip planning for someone running 48 as opposed to a regional run is planning where to stop the truck at a certain time and understanding what impact that has on the whole trip.

Simple question .. DM QC's a Pre-Plan .. Can you make it with your hours? On time delivery? Where should I stop for breaks and my 10 hour break?

With Co-Pilot you can list POI's and you can pick stops but it is very cumbersome.

Pro-Miles XF is an example of the features I am looking for. For example, if I run a trip and tell it I want breaks every 4 hours for 15 minutes and I need to pull it over at 9 hours for 10 -- it finds the POI's that I could park the truck for that length of time. Then when I pick the stops it recalculates that days hours, accumulated hours, and "real" hours so I can keep a watch on the impact to delivery times.

Pro-MIles XF has a state to state speed limits rather than just assume 65 MPH.

I have a quick answer for the DM.

With Co-Pilot I can only select one type of break and time. This feature only affects real time and then you have to cacluate by subtraction where you want to park the truck. Then double click to find that on the map. Then right click on a POI where you are going to stop the truck. Then you have to re-run the trip. This is done for each stop.

2. ALK does not update the Database regularly enough for $300 software. Many POI's are out of date. I have created my own custom POI database based on the Next Exit but really should I have to do that? I find between 30% to 50% of the time the address does not exist or the street does not exist.

3. This thread is about trip planning rather than GPS but I find that the GPS database is not as accurate as a Garmin. A Garmin is much easier to mount and has a touch screen.

Soooooooo

After going through Mappoint, Streets and Trips, Rand and MaNally, and yes ALK Co-Pilot ...

I have finally settled on a Rand McNally Paper Atlas, Pro-MIler XF for Trip Planning and a Garmin 7200 (ran a 2720 until last November but I like the 7" screen) for GPS Directions. Recheck directions with Google Local and look at the Satellite map for hazards.

But to each his own and that is what makes the world interesting ..
Old 03-06-2006, 03:01 PM

I've got a background in maritime navigation, and was using the GPS system before it was even available to the general public. It was great for oceangoing purposes' but I consider it near useless for land navagation, especially in a commercial vehicle. It's so simple to grab that Rand Mcnally and plot a straight line from A to B, and stay as close to that line as you legally can it ain't even funny. Heck, I can even do sunshots and plot my position, but if the road isn't there, it just tells me where I'm stuck at!

I use streets and maps for a local look see, but the rest I consider pretty useless and not worth the time, effort or money. JMHO
Old 03-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Senior Board Member

The nav system in my Yukon Denali is awesome. Hands down, one of the best I have ever seen. I know that doesn't help you guys much, but I just wanted to let you know that someone does make one that is worth a shit....