User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013, 03:58 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I used Truckbytes and it's pretty good. I didn't use it for accounting, but only for tracking loads and trips and accounts receivables. I also used it to compile the data for fuel taxes. The owner of the company was a trucker for many years and is real helpful.

TruckBytes: Free Software for Truckers & Affordable IFTA Fuel Tax Services
Old 11-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Rookie

I've had the same question lately as well. I've done some research. Here's what I found.

GPS Tracking Technology and Advanced Mapping Software | Track Your Truck

TruckersHelper.com - HOME

Trucking Software | Owner Operator | Truck Driver Software | Drivers Log book | Per Diem | Truck Management | Truck Dispatch | Freight Management | Business Management | Transportation Tracking,
Old 12-04-2015, 04:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I noticed that some of the software developers are putting everything in the clouds rather than allowing you to buy the software and install it on your own computer. I just don't trust anyone with my personal data. I know it is possible for some to hack into my system, but willingly storing everything somewhere out of my office or computer is more risky than I am comfortable. Besides, most of those who require you to put your information in the clouds will also require you pay a monthly fee forever. When you purchase the software and install it on your system, you only pay the fee one time.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I just downloaded a new program that was recently made available for owner operators with a single truck. It is published by Trucknpro and has some interesting features. I have not really started to actually use the new program, but I am making some changes and I would like to see how this might work with the new venture. One feature that I really like is the routing. You can put in your start, stops and final and the program will plot your route. You can then print it off making it easy to follow rather than referring to a map. I suppose a lot of people are using GPS, but this helps to know where you are going. Personally, I like looking at a map so that I can get a good overview of my route. I don't get that so easily with a GPS. I am still exploring the new program. I may stick with the last program I got from them, Biz Manager program. I can add as many trucks to the Biz Manager program. The owner operator program is limited to a single truck operation. But, most owner operators only have a single truck, anyway. I was wondering if anyone else has downloaded the program and how you like it? I am still checking out the features, but if anyone else has tried it I would like to know if there are features you may like or not like about the program compared to other programs.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:07 PM
Rookie

I would certainly like an update on this thread. I am looking to buy my first truck at the end of the year or by this time next year at latest.
How has it worked out with Trucknpro and exporting to Quickbooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrobin View Post
I would certainly like an update on this thread. I am looking to buy my first truck at the end of the year or by this time next year at latest.
How has it worked out with Trucknpro and exporting to Quickbooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use Quickbooks and have not heard anything from Trucknpro as to whether they are able to export files to Quickbooks. I know that was something on their list but don't know if it is now available. You might give them a call or send them an email. I think you can go to their website and ask. I believe their phone number is also on the website. They are good about getting back with those with questions. I would like to know, as well. There are a number of ways to keep your books. I find the Trucknpro programs works best for me. I like the way the program is set up. I have used paper, spreadsheet and other software. I have also used general bookkeeping or accounting software. This is already set up for trucking. One thing I like is that I can print out a report on each load or for any period of time and see how well I am doing at any given time. If you are in business, it is critical to know where you stand at any given time. Just because you have a lot of cash flow doesn't necessarily mean that you are making a profit. Whether you decide to purchase the Trucknpro trucking software, another type of software or spreadsheet, it is important to stay on top of your receivables. I like to break out some of my maintenance costs, such as tires. I can do that with this program. If you lease to a carrier, you may not need some of the program features, such as the IFTA reports. Your carrier usually does that for you. But, if you run your own authority, it helps to keep things organized. If I have kept up my books, I can go to the reports, print out an IFTA report and then go to the state website and transfer my miles and gallons from the report and I am done. When I used a spreadsheet, it took longer to do my IFTA.

If you have been driving for a while, you have probably had to fill out a blank bill of lading. I keep a stack of them in my truck. With the newer versions of their software, you can fill out a bill of lading on your computer and the print it off in your truck. I don't know if it is available with Quickbooks, but the last couple of Trucknpro programs will allow you to scan in your fuel receipts, bill of ladings, toll receipts, etc., It can help if you ever get audited and lose a receipt. All you need to do is print out a receipt. Had I done that myself, I could have saved several hundred dollars last year. I went through an audit and some of the fuel receipts were not in the envelopes. I had the invoice numbers, gallons, etc., but they would only accept a copy of the actual receipt. If I had scanned them into my program, all I would have needed to do is print out the receipt. More and more companies are going paperless. Personally, I prefer paper. But the program does allow you to go paperless, if you wish.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Rookie

Lot of great stuff, here GMAN. My only recommendation is to consider the entire technology picture. Accounting and operation software, maintenance, safety, etc.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by safefleetsolutions View Post
Lot of great stuff, here GMAN. My only recommendation is to consider the entire technology picture. Accounting and operation software, maintenance, safety, etc.

The trucknpro programs have a feature that will track maintenance on equipment. It will also allow you to use a driver's file to put in safety violations, etc., Their current program is more suited to independents, small fleets an owner operators. It will also work for the company driver who wants to keep track of their expenses on the road. More and more companies are moving toward paperless records. I am still not completely comfortable with paperless without having a hard copy. Trucknpro programs will enable you to scan in all of your records into the program and then print out a hard copy at will. I still have file cabinets filled with records that date back decades.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:57 PM
Rookie

How do trucknpro programs work across an entire organization? I mean from the driver to the front office?
Old 12-23-2016, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The trucknpro programs that I have used concentrate primarily on the drivers and owner operators. I have not had the need to use it for office personnel, although you could probably use it for that sort of thing. Previous versions have been designed primarily for drivers, owner operators and small fleets. I just received notification that they have now released their fleet version of the last independent driver program. I have not had an opportunity to check it out, yet. I am still experiencing some computer or internet issues. I hope to get everything caught up by the first of the year. It is important to know how well you are doing in any business. I am glad that the foglinesoftware people (trucknpro) have not gone to putting everything in the "cloud." I have never liked having to put my sensitive data at some remote site that I cannot control. If anyone has had an opportunity to check out this new fleet version from foglinesoftware, I would love to know how you like it. If there are other trucking software programs that you may be using, those would also be appreciated. One failing of most owner operators and company drivers is that they hate paperwork. With the owner operators, many don't know if they are profitable or not. I have been talking to a number of lease operators for the last several months. Nearly all of them don't know if they are making money or losing their shirts. Business is very fluid. Things change constantly and those who are successful keep a handle on how well they are doing. If you don't have accurate information available to you, then you cannot make corrections to your business to insure your profitability. Owner operators and lease operators often have difficulty making the transition from being a company driver to running a business. When you own the truck you are a businessman or woman. The truck is only a tool that you use to make your business work. You are a businessman who happens to drive a truck. Some still think of themselves as just drivers. Whether you use a spreadsheet, accounting or bookkeeping programs or one of the trucking software programs, you must have access to your financial data. It does take a little of your time to put in the data, but it is worth it to know where you stand. Even if you use a CPA or bookkeeping service for your taxes, you still need current information so that you can make informed business decisions.