User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Sat TV for my truck? Vu Qube

Anyone have any experience with the VuQube, for sat TV for trucks?
Old 01-01-2010, 02:40 AM
Board Regular

I have one and love it. I bought the VQ3000 in-motion tracking while my wife and I teamed and it worked nicely while the other of us was driving. I have problems getting a strong signal while in the states close to the canadian border while moving but stationary I never had too many problems. Now that i'm solo its nice to not have to find the satellites... it does it on its own. If your not teaming all you need is the VQ2000 I believe it is... the one that finds the satellites but does not track.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Camping world seems to have them on sale a lot. Don't you need Direct TV or something to go with it?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Board Regular

You do have to have DirecTV or dish network. Be sure you know what your looking for... research it well. My wife called several camping places and they had no clue. She had to school them.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:06 PM

We are one of VuQube's original dealers (even before King Dome bought them.) Camping World does carry the RV versions of them, but I doubt that you will find a store employee that knows anything in-depth about them though. I can answer any question about them either here or on the phone if you like.

Here are basics:

- Yes, you have to have a subscription to Dish, Direct, or BellExpressVu (Canadians)
- It is very cost effective for those who already have Sat TV at home to just add another receiver to their account for $5.99. Otherwise you would have to get a subscription to one of these services.
- If HD television is a requirement for you, then you need to go with Dish Network as your provider.
- They come in 3 "flavors"
- V10 uses a remote control that you use to move it up/down and left/right when you are stopped in order for you to manually find the signal. Once you get used to it, you can get the signal in less than 5 minutes. It gets its power entirely from the single coax cable connection. ($599)
- V20 automatically finds the signal by pressing the button when you are stopped. Takes about 30 seconds - 2 minutes. Requires the coax connection and a tap wire into your 12V. ($1,199)
- V30 automatically finds the signal when you press the button AND stays on it if you are in-motion too. Mostly attractive for team drivers and husband/wife teams. Requires the coax connection and a tap wire into your 12V. ($1,389)

Mounting can be done by using a drill bracket or "no-drill" bracket (for those that don't own their truck or don't want to drill.) If you leave 4" above the sleeper roof then it will be able to get signal in 360 degrees around the truck. If you cannot, then you need to park so that you are not parked facing south. It has to be able to "see" towards Texas basically. It can "see" through your spoiler over the sleeper in most cases unless you have metal-flake in your paint.

Hope that helps clear it up. Ask away if you have more and I'll do my best to clarify.

Attached a pic of a recent install at our shop for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM002383.jpg (75.6 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by DieselBoss; 01-28-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 01-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Board Member

dieselboss i have a ? will the V30 work the same as a two head dish 500+ dish....? will it pick up sat 111 and 119 AT THE SAME TIME. i have a 2 tv dish dvr so i can watch one and record on the other or record 2 at the same time. one show maybe on sat 111 and the other maybe on sat 119.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Is that considered 4" above the sleeper or does it have to be above the air dam?
Old 01-29-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood View Post
dieselboss i have a ? will the V30 work the same as a two head dish 500+ dish....? will it pick up sat 111 and 119 AT THE SAME TIME. i have a 2 tv dish dvr so i can watch one and record on the other or record 2 at the same time. one show maybe on sat 111 and the other maybe on sat 119.
None of the Mobile satellite systems have dual feedhorns. With VuQube, if you have DirectTV there is only one satellite to "dial in" and all of your channels are there. With Dish Network there are 2 satellites (as you pointed out in your post.) If you have a V10 model you have to find the 111 and "save it" by holding down the "1" button an then find the 119 and save it by holding down the "2" button manually. When you change channels it will move over to whichever satellite it needs for that channel. Same thing with the V20 and V30 except that you don't have to find satellites manually - you just press the "find" button. Either way, once it has found the 2 satellites it will switch between them when you switch channels if that channel is on the other satellite. So yes, it works like the Dish500 receiver on your house by moving between the two satellites instead of being on both at the same time. This causes about a 2 second delay as it moves between them. So by that technology you cannot watch something on one satellite and record on the other at the time.

Last edited by DieselBoss; 01-29-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon View Post
Is that considered 4" above the sleeper or does it have to be above the air dam?
On that truck he did not have any metal flake in his paint so that was OK. It depends on the composition elements in your truck's paint. If you can visibly see "sparkles" or "metal flake" in your paint then it definitely can't see through the air dam. If you cannot, then it usually can see through it, but again, it comes down to what the manufacturer used in your paint.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Board Regular

DieselBoss, I'm guessing this won't work, but want to ask anyway. Would the vuqube work if mounted on the 'inside' of a fiberglass sleeper such as a F'Liner Condo ? Would any of the other systems work for this setup?