User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 04:36 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 12V clip on fans-anybody got any ear plugs???

Trying to stay cool in the Calif. central valley heat, I decideed to try these two small fans-1) The small turbo 4"(most powereful fan Ever!) and
2) the 6" Road pro clip on-to bad they didn't come with ear plugs. The 1st one sounded like a hair dryer and the second one's plastic housing vibrated so much I couldn't fall asleep. I rather be parked on reefer row!
So I stole my wifes small 6" plug in from home and its a lot quieter.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: 12V clip on fans-anybody got any ear plugs???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORPLINER
Trying to stay cool in the Calif. central valley heat, I decideed to try these two small fans-1) The small turbo 4"(most powereful fan Ever!) and
2) the 6" Road pro clip on-to bad they didn't come with ear plugs. The 1st one sounded like a hair dryer and the second one's plastic housing vibrated so much I couldn't fall asleep. I rather be parked on reefer row!
LOL... I know what you mean-- they say if you idle over here more than 30%-- they terminate you... so, I got one of those "tornado" fans-----LOL-- sounds like a 747 turbine starting up......how the hell can you sleep with that noise!
Old 06-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Senior Board Member

The best way to go for a fan, IMHO, is to shop the camping section at your favorite discount store. Usually for under $20 you can get a 10 inch box fan that can run off of batteries or an AC/DC adapter. I have even seen a few where you can put in rechargeable batteries and it will charge them if you plug the fan in.

They are a lot quieter than any of the 12v only fans and move a lot more air than many of them.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: 12V clip on fans-anybody got any ear plugs???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORPLINER
I made the mistake of buying one of those "turbo" fans a few years ago. If anyone is looking for a used 12V fan with about 5 seconds worth of use, I have one for sale.... :lol:

I may actually put that stupid thing inside the box I build for my generator. It does move air, even if it is louder than all hell.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Senior Board Member

I use my Tornado to drown out the drivers who think is is their God given right to idle in 60 degree weather. The temperature in a truck stop parking lot is 10 to 15 degrees hotter because of all the idling.

A trick with the turbo fans is to clip it to your sleeper berth vent so it draws in the cooler night air.

I want to try the box/window fan you can clip on the window screens. It always seems that my cab is much cooler than the the sleeper berth.