User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Plug-in cooler? What brand?

I'm looking at getting a plug-in cooler for the truck, and am looking for some feedback.

I'm looking specifically for a unit that plugs into the usual 12 volt outlet. Since I'm a company driver anything that has to be hardwired is out. Besides, it seems it'd be easier to just take the unit home to restock. I could keep it plugged in while driving to and from the terminal (1.5 hour drive there, BTW) to keep the cooler interior cool.

So are there any particular brands / models to look for in particular? Perhaps even more importantly are there any particular ones to run in terror from?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Board Regular

Theres a nice plug in one that you get at walmart. I have one my self, was about 50 or 60 dollars. Works great and got really cold at night.

Should be in sporting goods section.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Senior Board Member

As far as I know there's only really 2 brands that make the big 40 quart electric coolers, Coleman and Igloo. I don't know about the Igloo but I bought a Coleman at Wal-mart 4 years ago. The truck stops have them also but they mark them up pretty good so unless you're going to use driver reward points to buy it, you might as well get it at Wal-mart. I replaced the motor in it once so far but it does run 24/7 so that is expected. I noticed Coleman updated theirs but I don't know if it works any better than mine. Remember to have plenty of ventilation around the fan/motor area and also remember it doesn't cool down to a certain point, it just cools down about 30-40 degrees from the temperature in the cab. So if it's 100 degrees in the cab all day long then it's not going to be very cold in the cooler. 8) 8)
Old 05-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK THE TRUCKER
As far as I know there's only really 2 brands that make the big 40 quart electric coolers, Coleman and Igloo. I don't know about the Igloo but I bought a Coleman at Wal-mart 4 years ago. The truck stops have them also but they mark them up pretty good so unless you're going to use driver reward points to buy it, you might as well get it at Wal-mart. I replaced the motor in it once so far but it does run 24/7 so that is expected. I noticed Coleman updated theirs but I don't know if it works any better than mine. Remember to have plenty of ventilation around the fan/motor area and also remember it doesn't cool down to a certain point, it just cools down about 30-40 degrees from the temperature in the cab. So if it's 100 degrees in the cab all day long then it's not going to be very cold in the cooler. 8) 8)
I used to have my curtain closed and had the ac on full blast in sleeper, Would freeze water bottles solid during the day or night.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Senior Board Member

IMO, go with the 40qt Igloo-- it cools the best-- except for problems with the power cord- I prefer the coleman power cord...but the 40qt coleman of mine doesn't preform as well as my Igloo.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Did you back into a hogan truck at about 12:30 in the mourning about a year ago? Hit my passenger side steps when trying to get in that impossible last spot? At least 10 trucks attempted to get in, but they seen it wasn't gonna work, but a marten driver managed to get in, but I got rocked in the process.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:31 AM
Senior Board Member

I have the Coleman and it works great. Definitely do not buy one from the truck stops as they are over priced. Walmart or any camping supply store (Bass Pro, Cabella's, etc) are your best bet.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:31 AM
Senior Board Member

I have owned both Igloo and Coleman 40 qt 12v coolers. never could tell a real difference between the two.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

When I switched from my Volvo 770 to the Volvo 670, I didn't have room for my 40qt cooler. So I got a small Rubbermaid cooler. It'll hold a 12pack of cans. The best part is that I've had them freeze even in the summer. I picked it up at Wal Mart for about $40.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtc_Is_Hell
Quote:
I used to have my curtain closed and had the ac on full blast in sleeper, Would freeze water bottles solid during the day or night.
will have to try that