User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least consider the MacBook in that price range (not macbook pro or macbook air, just macbook).
Old 02-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Senior Board Member

The only problem I see with the macbooks is that they don't run the software that I use. Sure, you can run Windows on a Mac, but then, why not just buy a PC laptop?
Old 02-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least consider the MacBook in that price range (not macbook pro or macbook air, just macbook).

I really do not care for macs. to much trouble finding software :x
Old 02-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Rookie

i would look in to Durabook D15TS it has Dual-Core

Not the best graf card. But its rugged . I have had 3 laptops on the truck.
the 3 one I have replaced the mother board and lcd screen.

My next PC will be a durabook . The car PC's are shit. I know i have put them in for people. same as your home pc. And the touchscreens will fail if not the higher priced MIL STD 810F rating..

h
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Senior Board Member

The touchscreens will fail? Really? How soon? My Xenarc 7" is about 18 months old and works perfect.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Default Truckers laptop

Howdy mdgardner. I "torture-test" trucker products for a living. Laptop quality fluctuates from year-to-year. For instance, Dell and Gateway used to have a great machine with US-based customer service, and now have a "medium machine" with India-based customer service. Acer used to be a low-end maker and has now quietly climbed to being the #3 laptop seller in the world (behind HP and Dell.)

With that said, here is my current review of the makers:
Best quality (and highest price): Levono (formerly IBM) ThinkPad or Panasonic Toughbook.

Good quality / medium pricing: HP, Sony, and Acer

Honorable mentions: Dell, Gateway, and Toshiba.

JUST AS IMPORTANT as the maker are the FEATURES:

Screen: Get what is called "BriteScreen or CrystalBrite" technology in the screen. This is very important for drivers because a standard screen can become very hard to see on a bright day in the rig. If you use a GPS or similar device while driving, this is very important.

Memory: At least 1GB. 2GB is better, but do not buy a laptop these days with less than 1Gb of memory (RAM.)

Operating System: Windows XP continues to be a very good operating system, but is slowly being phased out by Vista. Finding a new laptop with Windows XP on it now is getting extremely difficult, but Vista is getting better as far as the compatibility issues that it has been plagued with. A Vista "Service Pack 1" is due out soon also (which is claiming to improve many of the complaints as well.) The only thing I still warn against in Operating systems is "64-bit" versions. Both XP and Vista have 64-bit versions and these operating systems still have the most compatibility issues until the rest of the world starts writing software specifically for that.

DVD: Many big software programs and games are coming out on DVD now. Of course, a built-in DVD will allow you to watch movies on your laptop as well. Bear in mind ALSO that machines are now coming out with Blue-Ray DVD players to play movies in Hi-Definition. Blue-Ray has won the format war with HD-DVD so you will now see many makers putting Blue-Ray players on the laptops verses the standard DVD player.
Processor: Get a dual-core. It doesn't matter if it is Intel or AMD, but Windows and many new programs are taking advantage of the dual-core technology.

Expansion and connectivity: At least 3 USB 2.0 ports and a Card slot (PCMCIA or Express) Express slots are the newer (thin) style.

Best places to check them out for reviews before you buy? cnet.com newegg.com or epinions.com

Hope this helps drivers looking at laptops.

- Don
Old 02-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Default Re: Truckers laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoss
Howdy mdgardner. I "torture-test" trucker products for a living. Laptop quality fluctuates from year-to-year. For instance, Dell and Gateway used to have a great machine with US-based customer service, and now have a "medium machine" with India-based customer service. Acer used to be a low-end maker and has now quietly climbed to being the #3 laptop seller in the world (behind HP and Dell.)

With that said, here is my current review of the makers:
Best quality (and highest price): Levono (formerly IBM) ThinkPad or Panasonic Toughbook.

Good quality / medium pricing: HP, Sony, and Acer

Honorable mentions: Dell, Gateway, and Toshiba.

JUST AS IMPORTANT as the maker are the FEATURES:

Screen: Get what is called "BriteScreen or CrystalBrite" technology in the screen. This is very important for drivers because a standard screen can become very hard to see on a bright day in the rig. If you use a GPS or similar device while driving, this is very important.

Memory: At least 1GB. 2GB is better, but do not buy a laptop these days with less than 1Gb of memory (RAM.)

Operating System: Windows XP continues to be a very good operating system, but is slowly being phased out by Vista. Finding a new laptop with Windows XP on it now is getting extremely difficult, but Vista is getting better as far as the compatibility issues that it has been plagued with. A Vista "Service Pack 1" is due out soon also (which is claiming to improve many of the complaints as well.) The only thing I still warn against in Operating systems is "64-bit" versions. Both XP and Vista have 64-bit versions and these operating systems still have the most compatibility issues until the rest of the world starts writing software specifically for that.

DVD: Many big software programs and games are coming out on DVD now. Of course, a built-in DVD will allow you to watch movies on your laptop as well. Bear in mind ALSO that machines are now coming out with Blue-Ray DVD players to play movies in Hi-Definition. Blue-Ray has won the format war with HD-DVD so you will now see many makers putting Blue-Ray players on the laptops verses the standard DVD player.
Processor: Get a dual-core. It doesn't matter if it is Intel or AMD, but Windows and many new programs are taking advantage of the dual-core technology.

Expansion and connectivity: At least 3 USB 2.0 ports and a Card slot (PCMCIA or Express) Express slots are the newer (thin) style.

Best places to check them out for reviews before you buy? cnet.com newegg.com or epinions.com

Hope this helps drivers looking at laptops.

- Don
A ton of good information thanks for it. It reall does help me...
Old 07-28-2008, 04:38 AM
Board Regular

i would have to say a toughbook on this one. Its a rugged computer that withstands just about anything.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Actually, my next computer for the truck won't be a laptop. I've been looking into car pc's. These are computers designed to run on the 12v system and can handle the dust, bumps, etc.

Here's the computer:
http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_Custo..._p/ccc-121.htm

The monitor will probably be a 19", possibly 21". I'll add a second video card to it to run the touchscreen monitor I already have in the front.

With everything needed it should cost me in the range of $1,400-1,500 to do it, which is what I paid for my laptop.
As a tech professional as well as driver, I have to say that system is crappy . You can get a better spec in a $400 laptop. If you have the money to spend, either go with a descent laptop and just hide it somewhere, and run the wires out of site to the components. Or even get a regular tower (much cheaper and more powerful), make sure everything is well secured in the case, and hide it somewhere.

But whatever you do, you want ATLEAST 2gb of ram, which is atleast 400mhz or faster, all modern intel and newer AMD CPU's can handle ram at 800mhz. You want atleast 250gb hard drive, and if you plan on using the PC to handle entertainment needs such as music and video, go as big as you can with the hard drive. Also invest in a good Video Card, TV Tuner card if you want to process TV on your system, and some sort of TV Out function if you want to play back video on a TV or other monitor with NTSC inputs. Also a descent sound card system too if you want to intergrate into trucks audio system (Not that hard to do).
Old 06-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Rookie

Soon to try and get my CDL and wondering if truckers use your laptops for work and for what if so? If one has a trucker GPS that would cover directions best since Mapquest/Google maps doesn't alert trucker unfriendly routes as far as I am aware. The reason I ask is I see mounted laptops next to the driver to access info while behind the wheel but pre planning one could get the info needed prior to leaving for next destination. Just trying to know whats what since I hope to get my CDL soon. I have gained so much info on these trucker boards as far as best products to equip a truck while otr and this will be another.

Also those with TV's in their trucks.. do you actually have access to satellite television or is it for VCR/DVD's only? The rabbit ears will be inoperable soon so then what?

Thanks..

Last edited by rakusa; 06-21-2009 at 10:30 PM.