User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yea thats what i was thinking USB version too.I'm going to need a inverter for sure..i don't plan on having a big inverter due to restrictions ...the one u suggested should be fine ..
thank for the help
Be Safe out there!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33dbump
Yea thats what i was thinking USB version too.I'm going to need a inverter for sure..i don't plan on having a big inverter due to restrictions ...the one u suggested should be fine ..
thank for the help
Be Safe out there!
To summarize (and confirm) what has been said:

- CPT-9 works with Vista, but not in a 64-bit environment. You can install or upgrade to Vista in a 64-bit OR 32-bit environment IF YOU HAVE a 64-bit processor in your laptop. You can ONLY install in a 32-bit version of Vista if you have a 32-bit processor. There is a new version in the works now to update the maps and comply entirely with both versions of Vista.

- It is also true that the Bluetooth version of CPT is more cumbersome because of the battery life on the receiver. We recommend using the USB internal or external waterproof receiver. The external is only needed if you have an overhang that blocks the receiver view of the sky (like a car carrier.)

- A small inverter works perfect to keep the laptop and any peripherals (i.e. a printer) charged nicely. They are quite small these days and inexpensive.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="DieselBoss- CPT-9 works with Vista, but not in a 64-bit environment. You can install or upgrade to Vista in a 64-bit OR 32-bit environment IF YOU HAVE a 64-bit processor in your laptop. You can ONLY install in a 32-bit version of Vista if you have a 32-bit processor. There is a new version in the works now to update the maps and comply entirely with both versions of Vista.[/quote]

You can install the 32bit version of Vista on a 64bit processor, but not the 64bit version on a 32bit processor. My home machine is a 64bit dual-core machine, but is running the 32bit version of Vista.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:04 AM

I'm getting a Dell Inspiron 1721, AMD Turion 64 x 2 TL-64 (2.2GHz/1MB).
I contacted Dell and Copilot and also DieselBoss (are you the same DieselBoss with the website).and have gotten quite abit of info cleared up.
i found out copilot will Not work in a 64 bit enviroment as of this time,but like DieselBoss website said newer verison is coming sept/oct Copilot confirmed.after i heard that i hurried and checked with dell and Dell says its a 32bit O.S on my Laptop..whew!
so i think i'm ok to still go ahead and get it. this weekend is when i will be buying it i believe.(Copilot said i might be able to get upgraded being so close to release but said to check with sales for that).
Laptop should be here this week (hopefully tommorrow lol)

Is copilot user friendly (easy to use)

Thank again
Be Safe out There!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I'm getting a Dell Inspiron 1721, AMD Turion 64 x 2 TL-64 (2.2GHz/1MB).
I contacted Dell and Copilot and also DieselBoss (are you the same DieselBoss with the website).and have gotten quite abit of info cleared up.
i found out copilot will Not work in a 64 bit enviroment as of this time,but like DieselBoss website said newer verison is coming sept/oct Copilot confirmed.after i heard that i hurried and checked with dell and Dell says its a 32bit O.S on my Laptop..whew!
so i think i'm ok to still go ahead and get it. this weekend is when i will be buying it i believe.(Copilot said i might be able to get upgraded being so close to release but said to check with sales for that).
Laptop should be here this week (hopefully tommorrow lol)

Is copilot user friendly (easy to use)

Thank again
Be Safe out There!
CoPilot is EXTREMELY easy to use. However it does have a few flaws in it. I hope they take care of them with the new release.

1 - some addresses don't match in CoPilot. This is normally from a road name change. I can get the correct address on Streets & Trips, then zoom both in so I can see the physical layout and add a matching address in CoPilot

2 - Some of the routing is plain out goofy. One of the biggies, at least to me, is the fact that it will not route you through Columbus, OH. It will always send you around the loop. Even while heading straight through it constantly tries to reroute me off of the straight through routes. That's where the automatic re-routing comes in handy.

3 - A little too bright at night - the "buttons" on the screen are too bright in my opinion for night driving. They're a light blue which really glows at night. They said the new version will address this one.

4 - Live mode is freaky at times. I've had people I've never heard of send me messages and also have sent me new destinations. This has it's ups and downs. Sometimes it'll go weeks with no problems, then all of a sudden I have 50 people sending me messages asking why I'm where I'm at and why am I heading to where I'm going.

It also has some great features:
1 - Full screen mode with multiple views (3-D, Next Turn, Destination, Where am I).

2 - Save Current - I save every destination with the touch of a button. Then, if I need to go back it's automatic and puts my destination to the exact spot as when I hit the button.

I have a 7" touchscreen monitor that I have mounted to my sun visor. This was one of the best things (in my book) that I could've done. The laptop is securely mounted in the sleeper, so it's out of sight and not bouncing all over the place.

Note, however, that the monitor wasn't cheap. The first one I put is was around $250. It lasted about 6 months before I killed it by accident. The new one was about $350.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:48 PM

That is a great idea and i didn't even know i could do that....a touchscreen to control from a laptop...that is awesome and a great idea!
also where the laptop will sit has been something i'm trying to figure out also ..this helps

Wife is going to kill me eventually so i better hurry get it and get out there lol.....
I have a 2g budget to get this setup and laptop/printer costs me arnd 1400.00 so i might be able to get what i need.

I wanted to let other drivers know that.
I haven't thrown away Map book and i don't intend too...i'm justs using all resources to make life a little easier out on the road.wife and me will be using webcams to say hello when we can....this should help me with being supported a little better then a phone call..never tried it yet but it'll be a trial and error thing i'm sure...

Malaki86 thx for the advice this is a big help in my book.

Be Safe Out There!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
You can install the 32bit version of Vista on a 64bit processor, but not the 64bit version on a 32bit processor.
Correct.

Quote:
DieselBoss (are you the same DieselBoss with the website)
Yes. I am the webmaster and co-founder of that site. :wink:

Quote:
In the past, ALK has allowed us to give away the new version if you have purchased the previous one within 90 days. I don’t have an exact release date today but we don’t expect any change in that policy. I can hit this thread again with an update when we get one if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
CoPilot is EXTREMELY easy to use. However it does have a few flaws in it. I hope they take care of them with the new release.
We have fed these suggestions and many others to the developers during each new release. We have not seen the upcoming release yet, but sincerely hope that they are listening. Oh and… SWEET setup in your rig!

- Dieselboss
Old 08-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Senior Board Member

I pretty much use my laptop for everything in the truck. It's used for my routing (CoPilot & MS Streets), logs (Drivers Daily Log), internet, gaming and entertainment. The laptop has a 17" screen, so it beats the crap out of a 13" tv.

I made a stand that sits at the foot of the bed. It's nothing more than a piece of plywood with 2 legs made from 1/4" steel. The legs were bent in a U shape and go underneath the mattress. The plywood top has a small board on it to put the laptop at an angle and has a piece of velcro to secure it.

To use it for anything but watching tv/movies, I just have to sit like an Indian at the foot of the bed. This puts it at a perfect height. However, if I'm on it for too long like this my knees feel like they're gonna explode or something. That's prolly just an age thing :lol:

I need to remember to take some pics of the stand. Haven't done that yet. I also need to build some shelves for the printer (sitting in the TV cabinet) to hold the inverter, battery backup (laptop battery died) and the USB hub. Right now that stuff is pretty much just jammed into the VCR shelf under the TV cabinet except for the battery backup, which is sitting on the floor inside the cabinet under the tv/vcr holes.

I also have a 4 port hub in the front of the truck. I have the GPS receiver, the touchscreen monitor (there's also a VGA cable) and a keyboard with a touchpad mouse (like a laptop).
Old 08-01-2007, 08:33 PM

Yea take some pic's Malaki86 any ideas will help me out thats for sure...i got a printer with the deal but right now i'm going to keep it at home for now till i get in my own truck..within the next couple of weeks i will start my Trucking adventure's again.
and since i will need a refresher course i'm a little wary of taking the laptop ...can you recommend a case for laptop or would you think a newer back pack would work...

thx again
be safe out there
Old 08-02-2007, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Yea take some pic's Malaki86 any ideas will help me out thats for sure...i got a printer with the deal but right now i'm going to keep it at home for now till i get in my own truck..within the next couple of weeks i will start my Trucking adventure's again.
and since i will need a refresher course i'm a little wary of taking the laptop ...can you recommend a case for laptop or would you think a newer back pack would work...
I'd say just any laptop bag would be fine, whether it's a briefcase style or a backpack style.

I have a case for my laptop but it's sitting in my attic at home. Got to be too much of a hassle for just carrying the laptop and power adapter.