User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I just started driving a couple months ago and have been wanting a lunchbox stove. Wasn't really sure which brand to get. Luckily I found this forum, I almost ordered the RoadPro. I got the Burton stove-to-g from thewhitewhale com instead. Now I just need to wait until UPS brings it.

Jim
Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member

go with the original----burton lunch box-- it works/ it lasts.....if it says RoadPro---think CHINA and avoid.

the burton lunch box is great---you can buy small alum foil pan liners at wal-mart and then get fat off of hot dogs in about a weeks time.---

Just add a little water- throw in your franks in the morning(10AM) By noon the smell of hot dogs coming up from your floor board will be making you look for a quick place to pull over and grab the buns and mustard & relish.

You'll gain 30pounds a month.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Rookie

I appreciate everyone's input. The Burton has been ordered and I am just waiting for the UPS man to deliver it. As a side note, I found a small crockpot at wally world that only uses 35 watts and heats real nice. (I tested it tonight in the truck) I just need to figure out how to keep the lid on while driving or just not fire it up until I am parked.

Jim
Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Dawg
I appreciate everyone's input. The Burton has been ordered and I am just waiting for the UPS man to deliver it. As a side note, I found a small crockpot at wally world that only uses 35 watts and heats real nice. (I tested it tonight in the truck) I just need to figure out how to keep the lid on while driving or just not fire it up until I am parked.

Jim
Take two of the "rope" style bungee cords that are long enough to go around the crock pot top to bottom. It will hold the lid on just fine.

When I was trucking I usually "bought" the Roadpro's lunch box ovens. The companies I drove for often had me fuel at Pilots and I just used my frequent fueler points to get a new one when needed. :wink:

I think I averaged one every 8 months or so.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 AM
Senior Board Member

well if we're going to swap "horror" consumer stories---- I got one.

They make this little oven; at least they call it a oven- the heating element is in the bottom--it has a rectangular fold down door with a window in it. Well,
I've bought 3 of these little pieces of shit( yes, I know, why didn't I learn with the first one).

First off---the bottom gets too hot! first to go are the shitty little hinges--then over time the rest of the base(with the heating element) will begin to crack-----but, I tell you what over 10years--- each one lasted about three years. All you need is a roll of duct tape or guarrilla tape...might as well go ahead and buy a roll with it. Each time you use it---just wait until the
goooey molten duct tape cools---and keep rolling/wrapping it in duct tape to hold er together----after 3years you'll have a goooey little puddle of melted plastic/metal.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Rookie

One thing I noticed on my last run out west, you see the roadpro in every truckstop. I did not see one Burton.

Jim
Old 01-27-2008, 05:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
One thing I noticed on my last run out west, you see the roadpro in every truckstop. I did not see one Burton.

Jim
Yeah, isn't it amazing---now after joining this forum-- I too am starting to take notice of stuff I used to just pass up.

The Burtons are mostly found at Petro & TA. Pilot carries RoadPro very heavy--probably has $$$ interest in brand.

I just noticed the Tracker brand of lunchboxs at a TA--right next to the slightly more expensive(but well worth it) Burton.

Oh yeah, when/if you get the 12v electric cooler----go with the 40qt Igloo not the coleman. If you had both side by side working- would be easy no brainer.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:

Jim
Yeah, isn't it amazing---now after joining this forum-- I too am starting to take notice of stuff I used to just pass up.

The Burtons are mostly found at Petro & TA. Pilot carries RoadPro very heavy--probably has $$$ interest in brand.

I just noticed the Tracker brand of lunchboxs at a TA--right next to the slightly more expensive(but well worth it) Burton.

Oh yeah, when/if you get the 12v electric cooler----go with the 40qt Igloo not the coleman. If you had both side by side working- would be easy no brainer.
I have a Coleman that did quite well. However, when I changed trucks and didn't have the space for it, I bought a smaller Rubbermaid cooler. It has just enough room to hold a 12-pack of cans. This thing is amazing. Even when I have my truck fairly warm inside (72-75f) the cans on the bottom of the cooler get so cold that they'll "slush" up on you. I looooove a cold can of Coke.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:51 AM
Rookie

Thanx for the info. Taking note of all of it.

Jim
Old 10-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Rookie

I know this is an old thread but for future readers, the best 12volt stove in my opinion is Tracker. I have a 12volt freezer in my truck that I stock with individually vacuum-sealed meats cooked at home and bags of frozen vegetables. I use two lunchbox stoves during dinner (one for the meat and one for the vegetables). Over the years I've tried all three brands, RoadPro, Burton and Tracker. RoadPro is absolutely worthless, everything they make is crap. I wouldnt even buy a pencil from that brand if they made them. Every 12volt RoadPro appliance I have bought lasts a couple of weeks. Burton is much better and supposedly the cream of the crop but I find that Tracker works better than Burton. Its gotten much harder to find Tracker 12volt stoves nowadays since Pilot took over FlyingJ but I recently saw them at the Petro in Joplin. My Tracker stove has been working for probably 2 years with almost daily use(minus hometime of course).

Last edited by Arizbri; 10-13-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: words misplaced