User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007, 04:12 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Stand alone GPS

Ok I have read a lot on here about this subject but it all seems to be geared toward the laptop/software type gps. I am looking for anyone that may have reviews on the standalone units that I can connect to my laptop for updates. I understand that the software in the long run is a much better system. However, Some drawbacks that is has is causing me to think it might not be..

1. If my laptop happens to fall, crash or somehow quit working for any reason then not only am I out a laptop I am also out GPS.
2. you need to have a laptop stand of some sort costing from what I see 150.00 bucks and up. then there installing it. And with th laptop I woul need to be looking to my right when I wanted to SEE what I need to do. What is the point in having maps at all if you can't SEE them and I just don't think iwant to be trying to see my laptop while driving..
3. While in route if something needs to be changed or updated I would think the touch screen would be much easier to navigate while moving then trying to "type" any changes if you wanted to do so w/o stopping.

Anyway..lol I can see the great benefits to having the laptop software with the clearance, restricted routes and all that is tailored to big trucks. Basically what I am looking for is any standalone unit to help "guide" me that works well..IS there a standalone that has the truck necessities?

Thnks for any help in advance
Bill
Old 01-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Senior Board Member

I have a 7" widescreen touchscreen monitor and a usb keyboard that I bought for my laptop. My laptop is mounted in the sleeper. The small monitor is mounted to my sun-visor. The only 'bad' part is the 15' usb & vga cables. I put them into a split-loom harness from AutoZone to keep them bundled together, but it still lays on the floor on the passenger side of the truck.

So, now I can use CoPilot (which is very touch-screen friendly), Streets & Trips 2007 on occasion and Drivers Daily Log, with anything I need to access right there in front of me.

The monitor isn't cheap though. I think I paid $250 for it, plus another $60 or so for the VGA & USB extension cables. I can use composite video (tv signal), but the quality is horrible.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

While out with my trainer, we us the Garmin c330 StreetPilot. I bring my computer with Microsoft Streets & Trips on it. I like the stand alone GPS unit by far. It is so easy to use and is fairly accurate. One feature I like the most is as you are driving it will show your progress and the road curvatures ahead of you. This is valuable when traveling down an unfamiliar road or driving in the rain or fog. It does not tell you where the stop signs are so you still have to pay attention.

MC S&T has features I like. I would use it to plan the trip in advance. Always use your atlas.

I am thinking about buying one of the Garmin models. Some are very pricey. One model the 7500 has many features I like and a few disadvantage also. It has a larger screen. You can listen to audio books, music MP3 and XM radio and it can tell you about traffic and weather. But it is not portable, does not use batteries and is very expensive.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Senior Board Member

I continue to research this GPS thing. I have decided on the Garmin nuvi 680. It is being released even as I speak. You can get the 660 which is essentially the same or the 670 which has European maps preloaded. I don't intend to go to Europe anytime soon.

GPS I have found to be invaluable and the stand alone units to be the most practical. What I like most about this model is that it has the same maps as the other Garmin models, you can use it with your bluetooth phones, I use to think people who walked around with that unit in their ears as being so _____! Now I find it as being essential driving down the road trying to steer, shift, drink TEA and talk on the phone. You can answer the phone, talk, dial numbers and access your phone list through the 680. I have become addicted to audio books as a way to pass the time, you can listen to them, ipod and MP3. It has a FM modulator so you can listen to all this through your stereo system. You can subscribe to MSN Direct to get traffic updates and the 680 will automatically reroute you. This is only available in major cities. After being stuck in Waco, TX for three or four hours recently because of an accident I find this feature to be very attractive.

Has anyone use their GPS unit with Bluetooth. How does the noise level affect your conversation? Does anyone use the 660?