User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default laptop essentials?

hi there. i've recently returned to trucking and plan on getting a laptop for both entertainment and utility purposes. my budget is around 2K. my questions are:

1. is there a particular brand of laptop that has proven itself more sturdy and reliable over others?

2. what components should I get hardware wise? I have a sprint phone and the unlimited data plan now, but no idea of how to interface them. should I bother with a wireless card?

3. what software should I get?

4. how can I best protect my laptop while driving and what about those notebook stands i've seen that attach to the passengers seat? is there something cheaper and/or better? should I get a padded briefcase for carrying the laptop in and out of my truck?

5. what warranties should I consider?

I am a company driver and drive a 2003 columbia freightliner.

thank you in advance for any and all responses.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: laptop essentials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman
hi there. i've recently returned to trucking and plan on getting a laptop for both entertainment and utility purposes. my budget is around 2K. my questions are:

1. is there a particular brand of laptop that has proven itself more sturdy and reliable over others?
I have an HP Pavilion DV8000 - have had now for about 10 months and it's been great. If you're not going to be doing high-end gaming or something else hardware intensive, you can go with a lower end computer in the 700-800 range at Circuit City/Best Buy.

Quote:
2. what components should I get hardware wise? I have a sprint phone and the unlimited data plan now, but no idea of how to interface them. should I bother with a wireless card?
I absolutely love my wireless card. I use CoPilot which will let others see where you are and send you messages through it. It uses an internet connection for this. So, keeping the computer on the internet online all the time gives me 24hr connectivity with my friends/family. Also, I download pretty much constantly. Having it connected while driving means I'm normally downloading alllll day long.

Quote:
3. what software should I get?
Depends on what you're wanting to do with the laptop in the truck. Here's what I use:
Logs: Drivers Daily Log (www.driversdailylog.com)
Routing/mapping: ALK CoPilot (www.alk.com) and Microsoft Streets & Trips 2007

Quote:
4. how can I best protect my laptop while driving and what about those notebook stands i've seen that attach to the passengers seat? is there something cheaper and/or better? should I get a padded briefcase for carrying the laptop in and out of my truck?
My truck (2007 International) has a small shelf at the foot of the bed. I made a mount for my laptop there. I use a small touchscreen monitor in the front of the truck (pics are posted in the anything/everything forum). I looked at the stand mounts before I bought the touchscreen, and I think they're great. But, having my girlfriend with me most of the time means it'd be in her way. I do use my laptop case anytime I take it out of the truck.

Quote:
5. what warranties should I consider?
I just went with the standard warranty that came with the computer. Haven't had any problems yet.

Quote:
I am a company driver and drive a 2003 columbia freightliner.

thank you in advance for any and all responses.
I do want to add a little extra info on the setup I have in my truck, also.

I have my computer as my 'media system' in the truck. I don't have a tv, I don't have a dvd player/vcr. What I do have is a standard laptop (just widescreen) with a DVD drive and a TV tuner. Just with those 2 items I now have saved the money/space of a seperate tv/dvd player, and also can play games, surf the 'net, etc. I also have 2 external hard drives (320gig and 250gig) that I have copied movies & tv shows onto. The last time I counted, I have something like 300 movies and 200-300 tv shows. Mind you, all of this fits in an area less than probably 2sq feet.

The laptop came with Windows XP Media Center Edition, which I 'highly' recommend if you're going to buy a new computer. It's the same as Professional, but includes an incredible media player (which plays dvd's, videos, music, tv, etc). The tv tuner came with a full blown wireless remote (looks like a remote for a normal tv).

So, at the end of my day, I sit here surfing the net. When I'm done, I kick back check what's on tv. Nothing on or can't get any local stations? Oh well, pick a movie out (it's like Video On Demand). Don't want to watch a movie? Pick some music and read a book.

My favorite thing to watch at the end of the day is documentaries. They'll drop me like a boulder. I tried 6 nights in a row to watch a 40 minute show about the Erie Canal. :lol:
Old 12-13-2006, 10:47 PM

awesome response thank you!

what brand tv tuner are you using? an ati ?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

It's a Hauppauge USB2 PVR - I really don't need the PVR part of it, but it's required if I want to use it with the Media Center software.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:01 AM

Ah ok thank you. I have heard of tv tuners bundled with ATI graphics cards, I didn't realize they were sold as a separate component as well. Is the entire tv tuner external, I.e. it just hooks up to your laptop via USB?
Thanks again and happy holidays .
Old 12-14-2006, 02:20 AM
Board Regular

i have a toshiba which i bought for $499 and it has served me well for over a year, question about the tv tuner do you have to run an antennae to the outside of the truck
Old 12-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Senior Board Member

I think ATI has a tv tuner which is true USB (ie no power adapters, but it does use 2 usb slots). The Hauppauge has 1 usb port and a normal power adapter.

Here's the companies product page for it: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...sb2mcekit.html

Right now I just use the built-in tv antenna. I may add a mirror mount one later on, but that's not an issue with me. Normally I try to be parked and asleep long before 8pm when most show worth watching would be on anyway.

Another option to that would be a satelite dish, but it just seems like too much hassle.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:30 AM
Board Regular

HP Lance Armstrong laptop PC here with 1 gig of ram.

Sprint air card, unlimited mileage.

Flying J wireless account.

Microsoft Trips and Streets, or is it Streets and Trips?

Drivers Daily Log, for the logs.

HP printer/copier, fits nicely in tv hole behind 20 inch Dell wide screen monitor with seperate tv tuner in Volvo 780.

I normally just throw the laptop on the floor, or let it ride on the table in the sleeper.

I have no case, as it has no reason to go into the truck stop.

I have GPS set up with another laptop that hides in my closet. There is an 8 inch wide screen monitor mounted to my dash for seeing where I am at. I also have a usb hub mounted in the dash, with a PS2 keyboard and wireless mouse to run that show.

It works for me as an indy o/o.

If I was a company driver, a laptop and an air card would do. Maybe a stand alone GPS to stick on the dash.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Default laptop

I owna small business selling computers. I can set you up with what you need for about $700 plus shipping. There is a 2 year warranty. All items are new and in factory sealed box. Below are the details of what would come with it.

Operating Systems Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center

Platform Notebook PC

Expansion Ports 1 - Type I/II PC Card Slot

Processor Brand Intel

Processor Class Celeron M Processor

Processor Speed 1.5GHz

Memory Type DDR2

Memory Size 256MB

Memory Slots (Total) 2

Memory Slots (Available) 1

Capacity 60GB

Optical Drive Type CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive

Supplemental Drive Type Media Reader

Graphics Description Integrated Graphics

GPU/VPU Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
TV Tuner Installed.

Video Memory up to 128MB Shared

Communications Description Integrated Modem
Integrated LAN
Integrated Wireless LAN

Interface Type 802.11g Wireless Networking
RJ-11 Phone Connector
RJ-45 Ethernet Connector

Width 14.09"

Height 1.40"

Depth 10.39"

Weight 6.27 lbs

Display Type Widescreen Ultrabright TFT WXGA

Viewable Screen Size 15.4"

Contact me at [email protected]

Happy Holidays

Loaded Like A Boxcar, Drive It Like A Stock Car
Old 12-24-2006, 06:49 AM
Rookie

My advice is simple.
Keep it small. Keep it light.
I bought a refurbished DELL Inspiron 8100 for 1K 5 years ago. It weighs about 10 lbs has a 15" screen & is literally a drag hauling it around. I still have it & its still a good working computer.
Because my 8100 was so old ( 3 years at the time ) I bought a DELL XPS gaming laptop for the new generation games. It has an ATI 250 mb vid card, a 17" screen etc. It also is a monster weighing in at over 15lbs. Its HUGE & a bitch to set up & run whenever I stop. It also runs so hot ( i mean this thing is a muhcheen, man! ) I have to use a fan pad under it. And, its a power HOG!!! A little plug in ac adapter wont run it without overloading. That laptop now resides on my desk at home full time.
But ive learned my lesson. I just bought a Toshiba Ultraportable with a 12" screen that only weighs 4lbs, has a duo core, runs on a spark & its easy to breakout & start using with little effort.
I have built in wireless but I dont have a TV tuner but I dont have the time to watch TV. I do take a few movies if Im shut down for any length of time.
But overall, small & light is so much better...