User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
most people looking just to take non professional pictures will never need more than a 5mp camera. In reality, even with my Canon 5d which is 12.8 mp, unless Im doing some pro work for a large print, or something that requires heavy editing, I always keep it set around the 5mp range.
A 5mp camera with a great lens will take a far better picture than a 12mp camera with a crap lens.
If I didnt do some professional work and just wanted an everyday camera. I would go out to ebay and find a Digital Canon Rebel. The first 5mp model for around 300 bucks and then spend money on a good lens with image stablization for about 700 bucks. You would spend 1000 bucks but that combination would take much better pictures than a 3500-4000 dollar 12mp camera with a standard lens.
I'd agree 100% The only problem with that is for most of us, even $300 for a camera would be a bit much. Unless of course you have the money and plan on taking pictures damn near everyday. For the casual "ohh thats a cool looking sunset etc" person, the camera might be used a few times a week, if that much. Either way good and valid point.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Reality, if someone is just looking for a camera to take normal everyday pics they wouldnt need more than a 3.2mp.
I guess what I was trying to get passed is really for the average consumer megapixels dont matter. A point and shoot camera with more than 5mp is just a marketing ploy. The quality of the lens in a point and shoot isnt going to be good enough to matter with anything over 5mp.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Reality, if someone is just looking for a camera to take normal everyday pics they wouldnt need more than a 3.2mp.
I guess what I was trying to get passed is really for the average consumer megapixels dont matter. A point and shoot camera with more than 5mp is just a marketing ploy. The quality of the lens in a point and shoot isnt going to be good enough to matter with anything over 5mp.
I get it.. like 5 mp with a point and shoot, would look great at POINT AND SHOOT distances then something that has decent OPTICAL zoom over digi zoom. Mine is pretty much a point and shoot, but can tell it takes much better photos (albeit at point and shoot distances :roll: ) then my old cyber shot. It does allow as well for manual settings to an extent but usually use the auto features.

I'm not way into photography but enough to have a semi semi decent low end digi cam around. Using the same printer I bought a year ago, the pic's I print out from both camera are night and day. Then again I have an un trained eye as well. :lol:

Old 04-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Yes, thats it.
A 3.2mp will take a perfectly good 8 x 10 picture. A 5mp will take a perfectly good poster sized picture. Megapixels dont really matter to the quality of normal everyday pictures. Where megapixels do matter is in the editing. Mostly for cropping. The higher the megapixels, the more you can crop. However when you start getting into over 5pm cameras, you still really cant crop that much more with a point and shoot because of the quality of the lens. (however, some newer point and shoots are coming out with some pretty cool image stabelization technology that until recently was only avail in high end cameras)
Example. I have rented some pretty high quality lenses for my 12mp camera. With a lens like that on a still day with no wind,and a good tripod I could take a picture of a whole tree, then in editing, crop it down to the details of one little leaf.
By all means, Im not saying you cant take a great picture with a cheaper point and shoot. People have won awards with pictures taken with disposable cameras. Being that im into photography, I want to get my kids into it. I bought my 5 year old son a Fuji 3.2 mp camera in a pawnshop for 100 bucks. He always has it with him, so occasionally, I will grab it from him when I see a good shot. Here are two photos I have taken with my kids 100 buck pawn shop special that have both won awards.

Now a photo from about a 12mp camera which with the rented lens was worth about 7 grand.

Most people couldnt tell the difference in quality of the pictures between the 7 grand camera and the 100 buck pawn shop special.
However the shot of the balloons would be a hard shot to get with the point and shoot camera because it required some pretty special exposure techniques. But you can see that as far as quality of pictures (especially for online photos) a 3.2mp works great.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Board Regular

I use my cellphone....there are pics in my album (look in my profile), like the lava flows, That I snapped doing 70. Before anyone goes off....I basically point and click, without looking. Hope I get good pics, but some are......WOW

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 06-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Board Member

we have a few cameras in the truck
DXG 3mp shoots pics & digital video 256mg sd card
panasonic pv-gs19 mini dv 24x optical zoom 800x digal zoom 90min mini dv video tape & 1gb sd card (what we like about it is we can shoot video and then later snap pics from the video in the cam)
fuji a340 4mp 256mb xd card
magpix b350 digital camera binoculars (what you see in the binoculars just click and you have a pic of it)
apitek duo-v39 5mp, mp3 player, digital video & voice recorder 128mb sd card
vu-point dc-m1084-vp 1mp key chain cam

all will usb to the computer as web cam's, download pic's and video

but i'm still old school if i want a GOOD pic and one that will last i use 1 of my 2 monolta's it takes more to do it in the cam ON FILM. and no i don't keep them in the truck at over $9,000 thay stay home.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:26 AM