User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 01:01 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default slingbox?

has anybody tried this ? http://www.slingmedia.com/indexa.php would this be good in the rig?

"Happiness is nothing more than
good health and a bad memory."

Old 11-08-2006, 03:45 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: slingbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce
has anybody tried this ? http://www.slingmedia.com/indexa.php would this be good in the rig?
BEFORE you buy and gadgets that you think u may need during "down-time". Drive for a couple of months. You'll soon see you will have very little time for anything other than the essentials:
Driving
Sleeping
Eating
Showering
Working
A laptop with a wireless card is your best bet and many times will be your only friend. It has a MULTITUDE of uses on the road. You'll see.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Rookie

we have a sling box. They work great , but alot of the connections you find out there are slow. Don't expect it to work very good at anywhere but a flying j truckstop. The problem with them is 4.95 for 24hrs is a misleading sales thing. Its not unlimited but measured in info bits, so the tv will work for about an hour? Most truck stops have a slow connection and it wont work at all. You will also need an unlimited wireless card from a phone company. And the only one who has true unlimited wireless minutes is sprint. The rest also use unlimited minutes as information bits, not a time frame.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Rookie

sorry when I read my post even I found it confusing. You don't need (as in must have for it to work) a wireless card from sprint. It only works well with one of those. I don't think you will find fast enough Internet otherwise. If you have a sling-box and decent Internet speeds, you can not beat it. We love ours
Old 11-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Rookie

Slingbox works very well for me. It is the best thing in the world.

Here is the solution I found. Thanks to my buddy who is a tech geek.

I am currently using Cingular for my cellphone provider. I bought this laptop card called Sierra Wireless 860 aircard on the internet ( www.unlockcellular.com ). It works perfect. I can connect internet and watch my TV anywhere also my Tivo programs thru my Slingbox (the best thing in the world). Connection is very fast over 1Mbps. You only need 300kbps speed to watch slingbox remotely.

The aircard is only $99, no contract required, which is good. It is only $59.99 a month for Cingular data plan. It is unlimited.

The aircard can also works with T-Mobile (the seller told me it is unlocked card). T-Mobile data plan is cheaper though only $29.99 unlimited. But I like Cingular better.

PM me if you have any question.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Rookie

thanks for the reply still looking

"Happiness is nothing more than
good health and a bad memory."

Old 05-05-2007, 05:29 AM
Rookie
Default SlingBox

SlingBox is okay but if you already have a laptop, and if you don't, you should considering it is a 100% TAX write off, then I suggest leaving your TV at home.

Most everyone I talk to always says they don't have enough storage space as it is. Throw the TV out the window and take a look into this. It's the best investment I have ever made for my truck, and I am writing it off on my taxes as well because it has news and weather for routing purposes.

Its Satellite TV for your PC with 4000 channels. And no, its not a membership or subsciption service that you have to pay monthly fees. I paid $99.95 for the software, downloaded it, installed it and started watching TV just like that.

I got News, Weather, Movies, Radio Stations, Educational stuff, Shopping, Kids programming, Sports ( I never miss a football game anymore because I'm not at home or the dang truckstops won't turn it on )

Anyhow, heres a link to the site.

Http://www.SatelliteTVOnMyPC.com

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I also got one of those $59.00 home theater systems from walmart on my truck with 2 tiny speakers and I put the subwoofer under my bunk. Hooked it up to my computer and it makes the movies sound awesome and the radio stations Rock!
Old 05-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: SlingBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyspyGold
SlingBox is okay but if you already have a laptop, and if you don't, you should considering it is a 100% TAX write off, then I suggest leaving your TV at home.

Most everyone I talk to always says they don't have enough storage space as it is. Throw the TV out the window and take a look into this. It's the best investment I have ever made for my truck, and I am writing it off on my taxes as well because it has news and weather for routing purposes.

Its Satellite TV for your PC with 4000 channels. And no, its not a membership or subsciption service that you have to pay monthly fees. I paid $99.95 for the software, downloaded it, installed it and started watching TV just like that.

I got News, Weather, Movies, Radio Stations, Educational stuff, Shopping, Kids programming, Sports ( I never miss a football game anymore because I'm not at home or the dang truckstops won't turn it on )

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I also got one of those $59.00 home theater systems from walmart on my truck with 2 tiny speakers and I put the subwoofer under my bunk. Hooked it up to my computer and it makes the movies sound awesome and the radio stations Rock!
The poster fails to mention that most of the channels that you'll receive are crap. They also fail to mention the fact that you need high-speed internet to watch streaming video.

If anyone buys this, I'm going to hunt you down and pee in your fuel tanks!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 05-06-2007, 05:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyspyGold

The poster fails to mention that most of the channels that you'll receive are crap. They also fail to mention the fact that you need high-speed internet to watch streaming video.

Yeah, I did forget you have to have a pretty good connection, but I've really never had a problem with just a wifi connection. As far as the channels go, well, I don't know about you but come football season I'm watching all the games no matter where I'm at and I dont have to pay for any sports packages. It was the main reason I ended up buying the software. I hate not being able to watch football in the truckstops cause they won't turn to the dang station.

Anyhow, call me stupid, but I know you have to have high speed connect to watch tv at the other end of the slingbox. Plus it's a pain in the butt to hook up if you are behind a firewall or a router at home. I just dont think they are worth the cash - yet, give them a few years. Some of those things sell for like $300 bucks depending on what model and brand you get.