User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Have you guys ever thought of parking near hotels (if possible)? I know that some hotels have free WIFI.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyCat
Is there nothing for cingular/at&t ? I mean, no one has experience using it with them?
I use AT&T formerly known as cingular/ I use the Sierra 875 duel band aircard w/ the Wilson antenna. I haven't found a real need to pony up the dough for the booster. My family cell phone plan is thru Cingular so my monthly bill for my aircard is around $80.00(with all taxes and fees)UNlimited-- it would be the $99.00unlimited plan if I didn't have my phone thru them.

The aircard isn't as fast as the LAN truckstop Wi-fi--for general use.

But, not being restricted(tethered) to a LAN is very great.

I'm setting a shipper right now.

The aircard is faster than a LAN wi-fi---if you're using a downloading- P2P program--simply because-- the wi-fi provider detects you're using high bandwidth(usage) and then THROTTLES back your bandwidth to be "fair"
to all the other girls and boys in the parking lot----so much for "unlimited"
service.

The TA wi-fi (Colubrus.com) there system plays havoc with Toshiba Computers or any other brand using a Athros Wi-fi card at 54Mbps---you'll get constant BSOD's(Blue Screens of Death) and will have to restart.

Pilot, Petro, Loves- are all on the same wi-fi ---siracom---which makes it the Best Buy wi-fi.

Flying J- for years, this was the best/only one I'd use-- it was almost always--Up, Strong, never broken----but, sadly now--they desided to start
rationing data usage---and claiming to cut your connection if you exceeded
your Ration in a 24hr period. So, they had to go.
I used to download --P2P like crazy----guess I was one of their "abusers" whom was "hogging" all the bandwidth in the lot------Sorry, but what part of "unlimited" was I not suppose to exploit?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Default I use the I phone when on the road.

I can e mail pix quickly has lots of storage 8 gigs, cost wise it is less expensive to use this just $40 extra on your regular phone bill. I have found net cards to be nearly $70 a month to use and besides the I phone is with you all the time you can use the maps to see true satellite pix of an area and secure parking when an area that has too many trucks at a truck stop or you can get information about a customer quickly. It is slow if you are use to fiber optic at home but if you dock it up with your computer it will have you favorites on it and it like having a real computer. I hate the keyboard it takes getting use to to type a messge or adress but it is possible besides I can get my information faster than the time it takes to unpack a computer. I have stored hundreds of pictures on it at a time and had tons of room for more. I don't really use it for the ipod music since satelitte has incredible programming.

It isn't perfect but it is the best I have found so far.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Headborg....You are using the same aircard as me....I was wondering, where did you find the adapter wire to connect to the Wilson antenna. I have been unable to locate one for the 875. I got the Wilson antenna, but have yet to beable to use it??
Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Headborg....You are using the same aircard as me....I was wondering, where did you find the adapter wire to connect to the Wilson antenna. I have been unable to locate one for the 875. I got the Wilson antenna, but have yet to beable to use it??
I think it was from a Pilot T/S. The package doesn't actually name the 875
but I believe it does say Sierra Aircard adapter. I'll look next time I'm at a pilot.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Senior Board Member

How much better is the signal using the Wilson? I have an aircard (can't think of the model right now). I'm going to upgrade my aircard to a USB model later this year.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
How much better is the signal using the Wilson? I have an aircard (can't think of the model right now). I'm going to upgrade my aircard to a USB model later this year.
Does the USB model have a way to plug in a ext antenna? I was thinking of getting one of those later too-- so I could plug it in the front of a desktop- instead of installing a PCMIA(card) to PCI adapter in the back(for AirCard)

Yes, I've noticed a 1-2 bar increase in signal strength when using the Wilson connected to my aircard-- especially when the single is soo week you keep losing connection-- it works wonders then.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
I think it was from a Pilot T/S. The package doesn't actually name the 875
but I believe it does say Sierra Aircard adapter. I'll look next time I'm at a pilot.
@ Drew ,

Hey buddy, I found that adapter today -- 3 of them- 1 at ICC at T/A Eaton, Oh i70 ex 10 - $9.99, 2nd on shelf at T/A same location $14.99, and a third one here at T/A Jeffersonville, Oh I-71- $9.99

It's Wilson Part # 359912 the label reads:
Aircard
Sierra Wireless

it lists compatible with the 850 & 860 model it just doesn't list the 875
but it works with it-- hope that helps.

http://www.wpsantennas.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=166