User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If you are ever in N.C. stop at exit 390, I -40 TC's radio shop he'll hook you up.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Senior Board Member

As Ford does, I have a stock cobra 29, mine's a Nightwatch, if u have weatherband in your truck, good, otherwise get the radio with weatherband in it for 24/7 weather reports. make sure u have an antenna that supports it! I think u need a dual-band????? dunno
I bought a Striker antenna to go with my stock radio and i talk pretty good on it. my SWR is 1.25!

remember to use ur CB with discipline, ch19 is not for chitchat, esp. what others listening doesnt interest. If u wanna talk to someone specific, ask them to join u on another channel. ch 19 is for INFO such as weather, bears, traffic, directions, etc. do not flood it with BS, potentially blocking someones cry for caution due to a wreck ahead!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Rookie
Default cb radio

The antenna company FIRESTIK has a great amount of information regarding cb installs and how to get the most range and best quality from your cb.
I've been doing alot of reading on the cb install topics and based on what I have read some drivers are wasting their money on getting a good radio and then not doing the rest of the install properly - ie tuning their antennas to the truck - using bad or incorrect coax and not grounding their system from the antenna mount.

As I understand it - SWR is a measurment of the radio signal that is NOT being transmitted but rather coming straight back through the system - so a 2:1 SWR would meant that your 4 watt radio is transmitting 2 watts and then getting 2 watts fed back to it - and the perfect 1:1 ratio is all of the power being used to transmit.

Get a GOOD radio - but don't spend too much. If you get a magnum or connex with 40 watts and do all of the install properly - you can get out FAR. Or just get a standard 29ltd and get a 100 watt linear and you spent less and have more power than the connex.

I just have a Midland powermax and did the install properly - I get out 10 miles on a clear day - that's stock - any radio could do that if set up right.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Board Icon

Geez One, that's all you hear anymore on 19, BS. Nothing but Rambo's and Wah-mbulance's.

I too have the Nightwatch one. My wife was riding with me one Saturday and a weather alert came thru. I had forgot I had it turned on and when the severe weather blast went off, she jumped thru the roof of the truck. All I could do to not wreck from laughing so hard.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:34 PM

I have purchased items at 1stopelectronics. I purchased a Delta Force Magnum thru Premier Electronics a few years ago. I'm not sure how Frank at 1stop is running things these days. I go thru radio friends I made sometime ago for peak and tune etc. I don't know who is doing Franks radio work now.

If you read the message board at onestop, you read alot on antennas, setups, radio's etc. I'm a member there, though I don't frequent the board as I did. They also have used radio's for sale. You can get feed back on the sellers thru the board I do believe.

As for radios, people like what they like. I do go with the Cobra' 29's. Mine is on it's way back to me with new and upgraded finals. Mine is an older version. I'd buy a new one, or even a Uniden then listen on the radio to the radio's others run. I get big time flowers (compliments) with my Magnum, as it is clear, crisp, and quality audio. It has enough power to get over the CB Rambo's out there, the annoying guy that run's around the area roger beeping, burping, swearing, etc all day.

I talked with a driver from the board here. Her name is LilSister (sp) she had a Galaxy 33 that was a fine sounding rig. When women key up, often the fools fall out of the idiot tree and start trash talking. Her and I could converse like they were not even there. We went up to another channel to chat, so as not to clog up business on 19. She gave me a fair assessment of driving with her company and other good to know info.

I've talked to guys running Rangers, Galaxies, Cobra's etc Good is good. Good mic, good radio, good antenna, and quality set up. It's like ford, chevy etc. Same thing.

I'd have no problem with a Cobra out of the box, but with the radio's I have, I can wait the time to send one out for the tweaking. It does matter, especially if you LSB.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwystdSistah
It does matter, especially if you LSB.
I found that noone has the radio to USB/LSB anymore :sad: so my dream radio of a Cobra 148GTL Nighwatch was out the window for a good quality 29LTD Classic "Rebel" with Confederate Flag faceplate......

Radio's are a matter of preference, but as previously pointed out, it is not just the radio that makes the airwaves, but quality antennas/coax... if you have a top of the line radio and the cheapest antennas you will get out less distance/quality than if you have the top of the line coax/antennas(properly matched) and the cheapest of radios.......
"And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled." Luke 14:23
Old 02-14-2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:
if you have a top of the line radio and the cheapest antennas you will get out less distance/quality than if you have the top of the line coax/antennas(properly matched) and the cheapest of radios.......
Totally Agreed! My mobile has had an older Royec radio that puts out two whole watts. I can get out 30-40 miles with it. But of course, it's a 10k world. Kale Kavel puts out a fine antenna for mobiles.

I have a USB/LSB radio. There are folks out there, and I hear drivers go LSB to get away from the local riff raff when the rambo's are harrassing channel 19. (they don't like drivers, women or Veterans)

As a base station I hear drivers using 19 for business, helping each other when doors are open, lights go out, other problems etc. I hear the local riff raff harrassing, I hear local garbage haulers and County workers b!tiching about their miserable underpaid jobs. Having a radio that gets out, gets above the trash talking is something I'll have.

73's
Twystd
Old 03-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Rookie

H&Y Electronics.com. Connex 3300 hp $195.00.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:37 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave
H&Y Electronics.com. Connex 3300 hp $195.00.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

i just ordered a galaxy 95 off of ebay..i assume galaxy is a good radio?!?!?!