User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default GPS

I real new at this... at truck driving. I did one week OTR(Werner). I got spoked by a number of things. I came home to see if I can find driving work at home. WELL, I'll probably go back otr in a few weeks. One thing that really got my goat is being lost. What's worst than being lost? Being lost in Canada. :shock:

My question: What is the best gps system for truckers? What can I get away with on a budget? Which are the system(s) to stay away from?
What features should I look for? Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Rookie

Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006 with the GPS reciever $120 at Wal-Mart. Best $120 I've ever spent!! You have to remember though, the program thinks you're a car so I use it in conjunction with my Rand McNally and my companys "hints" on how to get to the customer.

Some other truckers use PC Miler but I wasnt impressed with it.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Roller
Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006 with the GPS reciever $120 at Wal-Mart. Best $120 I've ever spent!! You have to remember though, the program thinks you're a car so I use it in conjunction with my Rand McNally and my company's "hints" on how to get to the customer.

Some other truckers use PC Miler but I wasn't impressed with it.
On the other hand I feel that PC Miller's Copilot Truck laptop 4 is the best software available yet a bit expensive, Yes I have used most of them from Microsoft Streets and trips, Delorme, Rand Mc nalleys Tripmaker and thus far I have found Copilot truck Laptop 4 to be head and shoulders above the rest.

Don't get me wrong, they all work but I feel Truck Laptop 4 is the easiest to use and gives the best results.

Also If you are determined to get Streets and trips 2006 you can get it for under $100.00 just shop around a bit I know Amazon sells it for under $105.00 and you can still find it cheaper elsewhere.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

Truck laptop 4 is going to cost you quite a bit http://www.alk.com/copilot/truck_lpt.asp
You can save yourself a little bit of money by looking up some Coupons for the software/hardware though and save yourself A lot of money such as Typing in CPLNOV into the promotional code area will save you about $40.00 plus give you free shipping. And yes the NOV code still works..

Just do some research on the different software available. Look at reviews and try not to listen to people who have only used one type of software.

Since you are on a budget you could probably get Streets and trips 2005 on clearance.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Rookie

Yeah Costco.com has it for $99 but it wasnt in my local store, and I had to have it ASAP.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Like others have said, your best bet would be a cheaper all in one package like Streets and trips. Then when and if you decide GPS routing is for you then you can look into the more expensive truck specific GPS routing software like Copilot, Promiles, or Prophesy.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Default ALK Software vs. Other Stuff

First your best source for directions is the consignee. A phone call is your best insurance, but a GPS is a pretty good resource for knowing where you are in respect to your world, and where your "outs" are if things go differently than planned. Like you past the turn.

The ALK software is a great trip planning software. It knows where the truck routes are and I used to run my trip specified by the company according to ALK to ID problems. But directions specific to the city, to the consignee, and knowing where you are in real time is a different story.

For GPS and understanding your present position vs. Trip Planning which are two wholly different subjects in my book .... Nothing beats a Garmin Street Pilot.

I found the ALK software effective as a trip planner but horrible at finding a specific address -- especially for the $300 price tag. Too many times a specific address "1256 Main St" would result in the [100 - 9000] Main St. with an average of the between. Oh, Did I tell you Main St starts and ends five times in this city? Sometimes your Qualcom directions need a lot of help, and help like this can and will get you in trouble.

I also found the Garmin Street Pilot far more convenient than using a PC on the move. Even a PC touch screen does not make the ALK software easier. Imagine this .. you just passed your turn and you need to know instantly where is it safe to reverse course ... I would much rather have a Street Pilot.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Rookie
Default Re: ALK Software vs. Other Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackaces
Imagine this .. you just passed your turn and you need to know instantly where is it safe to reverse course ... I would much rather have a Street Pilot.
Um, why? I have an optical USB mouse that stretches over to my seat, if I miss my turn I click "Go" and MS streets and trips recalculates an alternate route to my destination.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce750
On the other hand I feel that PC Miller's Copilot Truck laptop 4 is the best software available yet a bit expensive, Yes I have used most of them from Microsoft Streets and trips, Delorme, Rand Mc nalleys Tripmaker and thus far I have found Copilot truck Laptop 4 to be head and shoulders above the rest.
I was wondering about this myself. They all seem like great products but there must be something special about the software that targets our industry. Can you name a couple features of Copilot that don't exist in the other products or that work better with Copilot?
Old 01-24-2006, 05:28 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Can you name a couple features of Copilot that don't exist in the other products or that work better with Copilot?
Main thing? this software keeps you on truck routes instead of car routes.
Secondly? Easy to use, It seems as if they made it useable for truckers instead of computer users. It has a nifty 3D map display Just an overall easier to use and very well laid out user interface.
As for a few of the features?
It has HazMat routing options
It provides Pretty accurate pick-up and delivery times.
The 3D Map Display provides a realistic view of the road ahead.
Night Mode reduces glare and eye strain.
Speed Alerts give visual and/or audio warnings when you exceed pre-set speeds.
Provides spoken, dock-by-dock directions But the Voices sound like the computer from the 1980`s movie WARGAMES.
If you miss a turn, you get new directions instantly.
Routing Options let you select between Practical, Shortest, Toll Avoidance, National Network, 53' Trailer and HazMat.
Gives detailed spoken instructions and responds to your voice commands.
Side of Street Notification tells you which side of the street your destination is on.
POI Alerts notify you when you're approaching gas stations, restaurants or rest areas,Weigh Stations and ect.
Real-Time Tracking so friends family and loved ones can see where you are at.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce750
Main thing? this software keeps you on truck routes instead of car routes.
Secondly? Easy to use, It seems as if they made it useable for truckers instead of computer users. It has a nifty 3D map display Just an overall easier to use and very well laid out user interface.
As for a few of the features?
It has HazMat routing options
It provides Pretty accurate pick-up and delivery times.
The 3D Map Display provides a realistic view of the road ahead.
Night Mode reduces glare and eye strain.
Speed Alerts give visual and/or audio warnings when you exceed pre-set speeds.
Provides spoken, dock-by-dock directions But the Voices sound like the computer from the 1980`s movie WARGAMES.
If you miss a turn, you get new directions instantly.
Routing Options let you select between Practical, Shortest, Toll Avoidance, National Network, 53' Trailer and HazMat.
Gives detailed spoken instructions and responds to your voice commands.
Side of Street Notification tells you which side of the street your destination is on.
POI Alerts notify you when you're approaching gas stations, restaurants or rest areas,Weigh Stations and ect.
Real-Time Tracking so friends family and loved ones can see where you are at.
Once again, nice call Fierce. The software has many features that make it attractive to me. I have two concerns, neither of which would prevent me from buying it today. The first concern is in the area of enhancements and product updates. Since the product is customized for the trucking industry I suspect enhancements will come less often than their main products. The second concern is the product's longevity. There is a lot of competition and there is a huge gap in pricing. I fear they may end up dropping the product for economic reasons.

I am really interested in knowing more about the CoPilot Live option. Is anyone making use of this? and if so would you be willing to make me a temporary account so that I could have a look?