User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default computer laptop question

I dont know much about computers. If i get a laptop, do i need a video card in it to watch DVDs, or can I just use the onboard video? Would the picture be better with a seperte video card?

Also at Dell they sell as an add on a
Quote:
Dell External USB Combo Analog/Digital TV Tuner with Media Center Remote [add $129 or $4/month1]
Will that let me watch TV on my laptop? Pick up stations off the air if Im close enough to a big city with a good signal?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: computer laptop question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I dont know much about computers. If i get a laptop, do i need a video card in it to watch DVDs, or can I just use the onboard video? Would the picture be better with a seperte video card?
You can't put ordinary expansion cards into a laptop, and I've never heard of anyone putting an auxiliary video card into such a beast. You're probably stuck with whatever you have on-board, whether you like it or not. Fortunately, it should be sufficient for watching video.
Quote:
Dell External USB Combo Analog/Digital TV Tuner with Media Center Remote

Will that let me watch TV on my laptop?
Should. Not sure, since I don't watch TV, even when I'm at home.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: computer laptop question

Quote:

Also at Dell they sell as an add on a
Quote:
Dell External USB Combo Analog/Digital TV Tuner with Media Center Remote [add $129 or $4/month1]
Will that let me watch TV on my laptop? Pick up stations off the air if Im close enough to a big city with a good signal?
The laptop should be able to play DVD's with no problem. And yes, that tv tuner will let you watch tv, as long as there's a station in the area.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Senior Board Member

When you order a computer you can often upgrade the video card if you wish. The better the video card the better the picture you will get. The standard card will still allow you to watch movies but the picture may not be the best.

As far as watching DVD's on your laptop all you need to do is make sure it is equipped with a DVD drive. Most laptops anymore come standard with a DVD/CDRW drive.

The USB tuner will allow you to pick up TV stations that are broadcasting in the area.

When you order your computer upgrade it as much as you can afford.

Priority should be in this order:
RAM memory (as much as possible)
Video card
Hard drive
Processor
Old 06-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
When you order a computer you can often upgrade the video card if you wish. The better the video card the better the picture you will get. The standard card will still allow you to watch movies but the picture may not be the best.

As far as watching DVD's on your laptop all you need to do is make sure it is equipped with a DVD drive. Most laptops anymore come standard with a DVD/CDRW drive.

The USB tuner will allow you to pick up TV stations that are broadcasting in the area.

Video card
Hard drive
Processor
I've seen where they offer 4GB of ram, but then I read that u need a 64 bit processor and operating system (??? I got no idea what that is) to make use of it.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001

Video card
Hard drive
Processor
I've seen where they offer 4GB of ram, but then I read that u need a 64 bit processor and operating system (??? I got no idea what that is) to make use of it.
A 32bit cpu and operating system will make use of the 4GB of ram - but you'll need Vista to do it. Or Linux. Myself, I have 1GB in both the laptop and the home system, and it's perfectly fine for everything I do. Of course, with Vista, at least 2GB would be much better.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Rookie
Default dell

dell also offers an upgraded screen, we paid the extra (about $100)
and i can tell you it was worth every penny for tv/video viewing
Old 06-12-2007, 04:30 AM
Rookie
Default laptop

I own a computer store and can make you a sweet offer. I have 2 custom built computers. Never opened never turned on other than when put together that I will sell for $925.00 or $1700.00 for both. This is an awesome deal. I am also a truck driver and this is the same laptop I use on my truck. Below are the specs to them. Go to a computer store and try and find them this cheap for whats in them. I have sold computers for 8 years now and have a very good reputation. Just PM me by Wednesday morning and let me know or call 8165103426 after then. I will be going back on the road and would have to call the shop to have them mailed out.

Thanks,
Justin

Operating Systems: Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

Platform: Notebook PC

Expansion Ports: 1 - Type I/II PC Card Slot

USB Ports: 4

LAN Ports: 1

Modem Ports: 1

Audio Out Jacks: 1 - SPDIF

Line In Jacks: 1

Microphone Jacks: 1

VGA Ports: 1

S-Video Connectors: 1 - TV Out

Processor Brand: AMD

Processor Class: Turion 64 X2 TL-50

Processor Speed: 1.6GHz

Processor FSB: up to 1600MHz

Processor Cache: 2 x 256KB L2

Additional Technologies: HyperTransport™ Technology

Memory Type: DDR2

Memory Size: 1GB (512MB x 2)

Memory Speed: DDR2 533

Memory Slots (Total): 2

Memory Slots (Available): 0

Maximum Memory Supported: 4GB

Capacity: 120GB

"Loaded Like A Box Car Drive It Like A Stock Car"
Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 AM
Rookie

Bigdaddy - not to bash or anything, but you can slide over to Dell and get a Inspiron 1501 with the TL-56, 1GB of 533 DDR2, DVD-RW combo for $869. That includes a 1 year mail-in warranty also.

I also run a custom computer outfit and its hard and damn near impossible to beat the big compaines on laptop prices. Now on desktops, we cant stomp them hard on prices and quality. I have a long list of followers that will NEVER go back to dell for there desktop systems, but I wont let them buy a laptop from me. I did a laptop once and spent roughly $150 more than a similar equiped system from Dell, and the quality was the same, sans all the preloaded BS they put on theirs. Unless you have major connections and can order in bulk of 1000+ units, its hard to get the price that they have and still make a profit.

As far as getting better video card for better picture quality, when playing back TV or DVD, integrated works just as good as dedicated. But if your into gaming its the other ways around. Picture quality is the same, but your games will run alot smoother on dedicated, ALOT smoother.

I got a Inspiron 9400 with a Core Duo processor and 1GB of ram with onboard video and am very pleased with it. It does all that I need it to do.

I can upgrade the graphics card in the 9400 but it will cost about $600 to do it with a Geforce 7900gs. It involves swaping out the motherboard in it for one with a slot for dedicated graphics. Not a hard job, but more than you would expect for a card that runs around $200 at the moment.

The same thing can apply to other laptops, so long as there is a identicial model with the same housing and featurs as the one you bought. Its tedious, time consuming, and 99% of the time will void your warranty, but it can be done. Now if you have one that has a add-in graphics card, you can normal upgrade to a nicer one so long as its dimensions and heat sink assemble will conform to the insides of your laptops housing. There is also a option from a company called ASUS right now that allows you to use a full sized desktop card through a Express Slot on your laptop, but it requires the used of another power source and a LCD or CRT for video output. Shame it wont work with the Laptops built in LCD, but thats where its at. Instead of one plug for power, you have to have 3. Protability goes down the drain.

As far as the TV card, just make sure its compatible with the laptop you buy. PCMCIA or Express Slots are pretty much all thats out there at the moment, and the latter is becoming more popular with new laptops. These slots work like the slots on the inside of your home computer, just condesed to fit into a small area to keep things protable.

If your truly into it though, take a look at some Shuttle XPC cases. There extremly small and low on power requirements. Pair it up with a small 15" LCD and you can have a very upgradable PC for your truck at a cost similar to that of the laptop. cant quite take ti out and walk into the TA or Flying J with it, but its still a idea.

Sorry about that, I just get all worked up with computers, and feel the need to flash my nerd muscles.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Senior Board Member

ehedgecock i know what you are saying about DELL i used to work at Dell in lebanon, tn i was the nite QA tech. when ever michell dell would order a computer (he gives them as gifts) i was the one that had to check them to make sure thay would work.

you would not beleave the things i would catch... the build lines hated it when i was working i would kill their numbers for the nite