User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have a pair of Serengetti's from Corning Eyewear.Got them in 1988 then in 2001 had perscription lenses installed.Don't remeber what they cost but are excellent quality obviously.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Senior Board Member

I sport the blue blockers....http://www.tvproducts4less.com/sgbbo-12.html

If those don't work then try out these.....http://www.elvisly-yours.com/sunglasses.shtml

Now those I really do wear sometimes. Nothing like looking over at someone at a stop light with the Elvis glasses. Always gets a smile.

On a serious note, I wear Polarized Black Fly's.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Aww drive at night .... then you don't have that problem. Okay, maybe occasionally you have moon blindness. :lol:

I'm with golfhobo on this one ..... breakfast kills about enough time for me to finish my day .... if I should get stuck out here at sunrise. :shock:
Old 01-17-2006, 01:45 AM

I second the motion on the Maui Jims. I wore Seringhetti's for years, but switched to the Maui Jims when the titanium flex frames came out. The polarized lenses make all the difference in the world. Plus they are SUPER light weight! They cost $250, but if you take care of them, will last for years. Pay the money up front and enjoy them instead of nickel and dime'n yourself with el'cheapo's.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:48 AM
Board Regular

Well, I said I hated the thought of spending $100 for sunglasses, but that does not mean I wont do it

I have set of walmart whatevers now.
They are going to just be backups.
A co-worker of my wife used to be married to a trucker and she told my wife and my wife is telling me to SPEND THE MONEY for good sunglasses.

Now to choose from the bazillions of models, shapes sizes and colors.

I should just get a good set in an aviator style and be done with it.

Point taken on having let the sun get higher, but I was already on the ramp and getting on the road.

I'll be paying more attention in the future.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaat Xuun
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Examiner
Spotters-if you haven't tried a pair you should. These are the ultimate driving glasses. Their web site is at : http://www.spotters-shades.com/

And no, I don't work for them. I just love the pair that I got with prescription lenses in them. Also the accountant said I can deduct them.
OH MY :shock: I just saw the price for those, well the frame style that would fit me. I would defiantly have to try a pair on before I ever bought a pair of those
I thought the same thing till I tried a pair on. then I sprang for the Presription lenses. They even work in the rain. They have set up a dealer network with lots of places to park a rig.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:09 AM

like I said I use safety glasses, but was informed that when I test, I may not be allowed to wear them, thing is years ago I had a talk with a doc about glare always bugging me, and what about getting a prescription for it, forgot what the cost was, but even the doc said that the type of problem I have getting a cheap pair of sunglasses would solve my problem .. (sorry story inside story there) . . any ways I was shocked I wouldnt be able to wear sunglasses while doing my test and I have sensetive eyes to glare, not light, there is a difference. (unless the sun is out and no clouds, clouds give a brighter glare, so I need 'em more so on over cast days) I certainly do not want to do my test squinting, and hardly able to see.
I went into a store (BlackBirds) .. and found some polorized glasses (fergot to mention their reason for not wearing sunglasses, so the examiner can see where I was looking) this is what I found Fisherman Eyewear 16 FLY Polarized Sunglasses
they will still be able to see my eyes, and I will not have to deal with any glare. $15 was all I paid, that will work for now.
I did do a goggle search for those and some how also got some other sunglasses, Martini Eyewear
Old 01-22-2006, 07:49 AM

paranoidandroid:
I believe having one ear not too noticeably lower than the other is more common than having level ears !

The flexible frames that Maui Jim and other makers offer can be stepped on, smashed, driven over and still go back to their original shape - they are guaranteed, correct me if I'm wrong anyone, for life:
a once-off investment that saves you a LOT of money in the long run.
The ear levels are adjustable for your face and that service is free whenever you buy a pair of glasses from any lens shop.

There are cataracts that form as early as 49 years and earlier and can be very fast growing - you become blind very fast. Sun damage is the main cause of cataracts (Australians get them more often and relatively very young). It starts from when you are young and builds - the damage is accumulative but not apparent until it is too late when symptoms appear.
As a driver you are more exposed to potential sun damage than normally exposed Aussies - a professional health hazard.

Like others advised - sunglasses are an important tool to protect one of your most important assets, your eyes: cutting terrible sudden glare may save your life.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Old 01-22-2006, 04:13 PM

just find a nice set of wire frame oakley's they will last for ever. the only reason i keep buying new ones is because i wreck mine . first pair got ran over and the latest pair i had got smashed in a door jam. as for lasting forever as long as the frames dont get tooo out of whack you can send them in to get a "tune up" they will replace all the rubber at the contact points, pollish or for a small fee replace the lenses, and they will put your frame back in to spec also. as long as you dont smash them up. there is a small fee but if you like the glasses/style it is worth it. 8)
Old 01-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California
Default Re: Sunglasses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender
I just came home from a trip delivering near Las Vegas.

This was my second trip to the southwest in a month and the scenery and weather were fantastic once in UT, NV, AZ and NM.

We took I-40 across AZ and NM coming home.

I am the morning driver it seems and thats fine with me.
We stayed at a stop in western AZ.
I started driving east as the sun had only been up a few minutes and all I can say is Holy Nuclear Furnaces Batman. :shock:
I thought I knew what bright sunlight was having driven into the rising sun going to work for years in the upper midwest, but that desert sun is something to behold :shock:

My cheapy sunglasses are not going to cut it in that enviroment!

What are some good brands of sunglasses that will filter out the UV radiation and knock down the sunlight so I can drive safely.

Oakleys are a little to pricey for me and I dont want anything with heavy frames that will limit peripheral vision.

Short of welding goggles what works for you
You will only find the right kind of sunglasses if you are willing to spend the money.

I have used Serengeti's exclusivly since I started driving. I never go outside without them on.

Why?

They work.

They are expensive. So are your eyes.

You say you dont want to spend the high bucks. This is one place you need to.