Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   Should this engine be re-sealed? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/43063-should-engine-re-sealed.html)

Saltydog 10-07-2012 02:49 PM

Should this engine be re-sealed?

Just took a 1985 International co9670 to this shop for dot inspection and to repair some leaks. They steam cleaned the engine and identified some issues I clearly agree with, but also said the oil leaks are coming from all three heads and the engine should be re-sealed. It has 580,000 original miles on it and, although not run hard, not maintained as well as it should have been. I will be running 11 western states w/it.
My thoughts are to replace the obvious leaking gaskets, (valve covers & oil pan gasket) and fix other minor issue I know are needed. Then run it for 100 miles or so and re-inspect.
It has no water in the oil, no white smoke from the stack, and runs very strong for a old truck. Engine, 400HP Detroit, has not had any major work. Two previous owners who hauled event stages for concerts, shows, Special Olympics, and stuff like that.
Thanks in advance for your opinions!

repete 10-07-2012 05:52 PM

Your plan sounds good,but 100mi. will not show much if anything (well we hope 100mi dosen't!) I'd keep a close eye on it for for much more than 100. Chances are the oil that leaked from the head has been building up since 1985, if so you might put the engine in to shock by steamcleaning it. Good luck with the ole girl

Maniac 10-07-2012 09:55 PM

A Detroit has only 1 head, a Cummins has 3,you will have to run it 1000 miles for the leaks too show back up, that is unless they are just pouring out of everywhere.

Saltydog 10-08-2012 01:12 PM

Thanks to you for knowing more than me, thanks to me for knowing what I don't know! It always help when you guys with more experience lend a hand.

Saltydog 10-08-2012 01:16 PM

I wondered, the truck was being checked out before I got in to deep and the shop looked at me strange when I referred to it as a Detroit. Now I know why. Duh. Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Maniac 10-08-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltydog (Post 517155)
I wondered, the truck was being checked out before I got in to deep and the shop looked at me strange when I referred to it as a Detroit. Now I know why. Duh. Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Hey, no problem.....Remember the only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask..

Ferry 12-07-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 517122)
Your plan sounds good,but 100mi. will not show much if anything (well we hope 100mi dosen't!) I'd keep a close eye on it for for much more than 100. Chances are the oil that leaked from the head has been building up since 1985, if so you might put the engine in to shock by steamcleaning it. Good luck with the ole girl

Well said..I am agree with your point of view. :cool: