Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   Oil Samples (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/38948-oil-samples.html)

flatbedder 10-24-2009 04:24 PM

Oil Samples

I am wondering when is the right time to get an oil sample done and also where to get it done. Is this something that your basic shop does?

Kranky 10-24-2009 04:55 PM

When you change the oil, take a sample and send it to the lab of your choice.

Here's the lab we use:

Oil Chek > Home

We also sample the transmission and rear end lube at regular intervals and have that analyzed too.

barf 10-27-2009 04:39 AM

I'm tired and brain dead, can't think of the name of the chain; they specialize in oil changes and tires. Blue and yellow building. They'll do an oil analysis on the spot while your oil change is being done. No waiting to send it away to a lab. I didn't have it done myself, but they claim their results are the same as a lab's would be.

heavyhaulerss 10-27-2009 05:12 AM

u talk'in bout speedco ?

flatbedder 10-29-2009 01:17 AM

Appreciate the help!

Copperhead 11-01-2009 03:27 AM

The Speedco oil sample machines do an ok job, but if you want the most accurate results, the oil sample labs will do a better job. Just depends on how particular you are about things. I get free oil sample kits with my oil purchases and so all my samples get sent into the lab. I tried one of the on site sample test one time and the results weren't too far off of what the lab was saying. The lab went into more detail and made recommendations on extending the drain interval.

Musicman 12-19-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 466621)
The Speedco oil sample machines do an ok job, but if you want the most accurate results, the oil sample labs will do a better job. Just depends on how particular you are about things. I get free oil sample kits with my oil purchases and so all my samples get sent into the lab. I tried one of the on site sample test one time and the results weren't too far off of what the lab was saying. The lab went into more detail and made recommendations on extending the drain interval.

Last time I was at Speedco, they tried to tell me that the machine they use is the same thing the real labs use. Given some of the results I've seen from Speedco oil analysis, I have my doubts about that assertion.

The few Pilot Travel Center shops out there will sell you a kit for $10 - $15. You pull the sample and mail it in to a lab affiliated with Luberfiner and they'll email or fax you the results. You can log online and track any particular piece of equipment for as far back as you want. They've added some pretty cool features over the last couple of years that makes it easy to look at results side by side for the last year or more and look for certain trends. You can also go to WebCheck Login, send them an email and they'll find your closest dealer for the sample kits.

Maniac 12-21-2009 09:47 PM

I've used this lab since I got my truck new in 1999

Blackstone Labs

Copperhead 12-24-2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 470676)
I've used this lab since I got my truck new in 1999

Blackstone Labs

Blackstone is a good choice as is Polaris labs, WearChek, etc. Most all the labs do a good job. I would trust any lab over the machines at Speedco or any other shop. If they do not thoroughly clean out the machine between samples, you can get inaccurate results. Considering that most of these type shops cannot even seem to grease the chassis right every time, I have my doubts that they will clean the oil sample machine properly each time. Also, once you are with a lab, they will keep a running track of your oil samples for you and chart how things are doing. Once you develop a pattern, you can pick up on something real quick if there is a problem. The labs are good about commenting on your oil samples.