Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   air bags (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/38724-air-bags.html)

heavyhaulerss 09-18-2009 02:10 PM

air bags

is there a good way to keep my trailer air bags from stretching when unloading? I haul heavy single steel coils & I just noticed that I have 3 air bags leaking right at the bottom seam. I noticed this cause of all the rain water bubbling. the 3 that were leaking all all new.( installed within the last 6 months -3 years. the one original bag has no leaks yet. before buying all new bags. AGAIN... what can I do to keep the new ones from stretching until they rip also?

chris1 09-18-2009 02:19 PM

Chains between the frame and axle. You can also hook them shorter to use as a "lift" axle when MT.

trucktool 09-18-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss (Post 462672)
is there a good way to keep my trailer air bags from stretching when unloading? I haul heavy single steel coils & I just noticed that I have 3 air bags leaking right at the bottom seam. I noticed this cause of all the rain water bubbling. the 3 that were leaking all all new.( installed within the last 6 months -3 years. the one original bag has no leaks yet. before buying all new bags. AGAIN... what can I do to keep the new ones from stretching until they rip also?

Dump your suspension before unloading.

Proper shock absorbers should NOT allow the bags to over-extend.

Kranky 09-18-2009 11:36 PM

Are the new bags the proper ones for that application?

It seems strange that the ancient "original" bag is still OK, but the 3 replacements are leaking.

I agree that you should dump the air suspension before unloading.

heavyhaulerss 09-19-2009 02:22 AM

yes the bags are the correct replacement. I took the old one off & truckpro ran the numbers & gave me the original hendrickson bag. I relate the one not leaking to the same ole. (they dont make em like they used to). I have seen recently a lot of flat bedders with chains that appeared to be hooked in such a way. i dump my suspension valve. it is hooked up to my front axle. it does no good for the back. it would take too long to dump most of the air. I know I have wore out shocks. I guess i could chain the alxle to the frame, since it wont cost me anything & get new shocks on trailer & see if that is the problem. the chains I have seen recently are on newer trailer though & I would not think the shocks would be wore on newer equip. I also have noticed lately that my bags strech so much , that I wonder what has kept them in tact this long. maybe my shocks have worn completely out & that explains more stretching now than in the past. on chaining...I dont want to weld anything. would looping a chain around the axle to directly above around frame & leave limited slack work ?

Bandit102 09-19-2009 04:54 AM

My Wilson flat has nylon straps around the shocks to prevent over extension.

Kranky 09-19-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss (Post 462746)
yes the bags are the correct replacement. I took the old one off & truckpro ran the numbers & gave me the original hendrickson bag. I relate the one not leaking to the same ole. (they dont make em like they used to). I have seen recently a lot of flat bedders with chains that appeared to be hooked in such a way. i dump my suspension valve. it is hooked up to my front axle. it does no good for the back. it would take too long to dump most of the air. I know I have wore out shocks. I guess i could chain the alxle to the frame, since it wont cost me anything & get new shocks on trailer & see if that is the problem. the chains I have seen recently are on newer trailer though & I would not think the shocks would be wore on newer equip. I also have noticed lately that my bags strech so much , that I wonder what has kept them in tact this long. maybe my shocks have worn completely out & that explains more stretching now than in the past. on chaining...I dont want to weld anything. would looping a chain around the axle to directly above around frame & leave limited slack work ?

Check your ride height adjustment, sounds like it may be set too high.

chris1 09-19-2009 11:33 AM

The shocks should "top out" before the airbags over-extend. If they don't they are the wrong shocks. Chains/straps prevent the shock from breaking when the axle suddenly drops down.

heavyhaulerss 09-19-2009 05:38 PM

I set the height myself shen I replaced the leveling valve a while back. comapared to all others I have noticed, mine are not too high. mine are lower than most all I see. I have just put 1 chain on each axle to the frame, with just enough slack to the maximun height I want allowed. will be gettting new shocks & put them on this week. the shocks are original equip. thanks for all the advice.

heavyhaulerss 09-25-2009 08:55 PM

so far the chains I installed are working very well containing the air bags to an acceptable level. thanks 4 all the advice