Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   That momentary drag when you try to start the truck (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/35973-momentary-drag-when-you-try-start-truck.html)

lowrange 10-25-2008 04:13 AM

That momentary drag when you try to start the truck

I've had it before, I think it's the starter going out, or is it the batteries? You know, you're cranking the truck but it bogs down for a second or a split second before it cranks.

Larry227 10-25-2008 04:37 AM

Could be either. Have your batteries load tested and connections checked. That's the first place to start. No pun intended.

Kranky 10-25-2008 11:57 AM

Also double check those short cables that connect the 3 or 4 batteries together.

We've had a couple of those where the copper terminal fractured inside the plastic covering at the cable end. If this happens to one of the cables between bat # 1 & 2 in the lineup, it causes the truck to only be able to utilize one battery out of the 3 or 4, causing sluggish starting. Externally, nothing appears wrong, but you need to pull them all off the batteries and check the cables for continuity. Also visually inspect the terminal ends, if they look questionable, replace them.

lowrange 10-25-2008 12:26 PM

Could be either and puns are just fine! :lol: Thanks gents, if I can tear myself away from football and the internet I'll start with those terminals. The starter motor is only two years old, and the batteries are only a year and a half old.

Pirate 10-25-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrange (Post 419884)
Could be either and puns are just fine! :lol: Thanks gents, if I can tear myself away from football and the internet I'll start with those terminals. The starter motor is only two years old, and the batteries are only a year and a half old.

Ah, football - I see you have your priorities set right! :lol:

Blind Driver 11-01-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kranky (Post 419879)
Also double check those short cables that connect the 3 or 4 batteries together.

We've had a couple of those where the copper terminal fractured inside the plastic covering at the cable end. If this happens to one of the cables between bat # 1 & 2 in the lineup, it causes the truck to only be able to utilize one battery out of the 3 or 4, causing sluggish starting. Externally, nothing appears wrong, but you need to pull them all off the batteries and check the cables for continuity. Also visually inspect the terminal ends, if they look questionable, replace them.

If any of the short cables has a bulge, that is probably corrosion and the cable must be replaced.

Fredog 11-02-2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrange (Post 419848)
I've had it before, I think it's the starter going out, or is it the batteries? You know, you're cranking the truck but it bogs down for a second or a split second before it cranks.

did anyone recently install a voltage inverter and maybe didnt get the cables put back on tight?

allan5oh 11-02-2008 06:00 AM

Solenoid on the starter momentarily sticking.

bob h 11-02-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrange (Post 419848)

The obvious first check is for loose connections in the starting system.

But, I would start with this; measure battery voltage before and during crank. If you can do this... report back ; )

Chiefwhatdahey 11-04-2008 02:21 PM

Clean all your grounds including the strap between the solenoid and the starter case, have your batteries load tested as well.