Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   Greased my own truck (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/33767-greased-my-own-truck.html)

2hellandback 05-07-2008 02:42 AM

Greased my own truck

Today, had nothing better to do ,,boy not sure i wanna crawl around and do that again ! Not sure i got all the zerks/fittings,

Front end

I did 4 on the upper and lower axel ball joints if they are called that ?
2-on the drag link,
4- on the leaf springs
4- on the brake assemblies
2- on the steering shaft
1-on the steering gear box
1- on the steering gear box shaft????

7- on the drive lines

8- on the 2 rear axels, brake assemblies

What ones did i miss?

allan5oh 05-07-2008 03:40 AM

transmission. Some trucks will have a greasable bearing, there will be a hose hanging down near the front of the tranny, in the middle.

There will also be 2 zerks for the cross shaft. On my truck they are on the passenger side of the transmission.

On my truck there are 2 zerks at the rear of each leaf spring.

Upper and lower kingpins, need lots of grease!

tie rod ends usually don't need too much.

Also 5th wheel, usually there's 4, 2 on each side.

2hellandback 05-07-2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh
transmission. Some trucks will have a greasable bearing, there will be a hose hanging down near the front of the tranny, in the middle.

There will also be 2 zerks for the cross shaft. On my truck they are on the passenger side of the transmission.

On my truck there are 2 zerks at the rear of each leaf spring.

Upper and lower kingpins, need lots of grease!

tie rod ends usually don't need too much.

Also 5th wheel, usually there's 4, 2 on each side.

Thanks, ill look for them .

tankyanker 05-07-2008 03:22 PM

i still grease my own freightshaker sometimes, i don't know why. there's a guy up the road who will do it for fifteen dollars. you'd be surprised though, what you notice about your own truck when you take a good hard look at it from the underside.

i've been using schaeffers synthetic grease, found some at a garage sale of all places. it seems to work well. sometimes i use marine application grease, especially on my u-joints, because it's thicker and doesn't sling out as much.

if you're really into all that, i'd suggest getting a cordless, battery powered grease gun. expensive, but really worth it. i got a good deal on a lincoln at a pawn shop. the battery units are rebuildable. just load and go, pull the trigger. yee haw.

Kranky 05-08-2008 12:54 AM

Quote:

i've been using schaeffers synthetic grease, found some at a garage sale of all places. it seems to work well. sometimes i use marine application grease,
It's never a good idea to mix brands or types of grease.

Select the proper type of grease for your application, decide on your favorite brand, and stick with it.