Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   Pyrometer Question? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/29801-pyrometer-question.html)

Papa Rick 09-22-2007 03:44 AM

Pyrometer Question?

Can anyone explain what a pyrometer is, how it works, and what is a good range. I have been OTR for 9 years now, but never seen one, but will soon have one in the truck I am buying.

Today Bobtailing it would stay on 3, and once when I went up a hill it went up to 7.5. Gauge goes from 0 - 15.

Thanks!

allan5oh 09-22-2007 04:04 AM

Really depends on the truck. Older mechanicals will go higher, especially in the lower RPMS. Newer engines cut fuel sooner, and adjust timing to help protect the engine.

Mine cruising is around 600-650. Hard pull it rarely goes to 900. I know most engines are a little higher.

COLT 09-22-2007 04:10 AM

I think the condition of the turbo has alot to do with pyro temps, new turbo more psi, less temp... From my experience...

Fredog 09-22-2007 01:07 PM

Re: Pyrometer Question?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rick
Can anyone explain what a pyrometer is, how it works, and what is a good range. I have been OTR for 9 years now, but never seen one, but will soon have one in the truck I am buying.

Today Bobtailing it would stay on 3, and once when I went up a hill it went up to 7.5. Gauge goes from 0 - 15.

Thanks!

The pyrometer measures exhaust temperature, the harder you pull, the higher it goes. if it goes too high, you need to back off a little

Jackrabbit379 09-22-2007 01:41 PM

Pyrometer is the temp of the turbocharger

Part Time Dweller 09-22-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Pyrometer is the temp of the turbocharger

No, the pyrometer measures the exhaust temperature. Note the sensor is stuck in the exhaust pipe, away from the turbo itself.

Jackrabbit379 09-22-2007 03:00 PM

Most I've seen are right on top of the turbocharger.

But, I meant, the exhaust.

Mackman 09-22-2007 05:53 PM

Re: Pyrometer Question?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rick

Thanks!

The pyrometer measures exhaust temperature, the harder you pull, the higher it goes. if it goes too high, you need to back off a little

I thought if it goes to high you grub a lower gear to get the RPM's up higher and that will help lower it. I thought the EGT's get high when your dogging it.

Papa Rick 09-22-2007 05:53 PM

I was wondering what could cause them to run high for example could you have dirty air filters, what all could cause this.

Remember I will pick the truck up Sept 28th and never had a pyrometer before so nothing is wrong, just thinking to myself what could be the things to check in the future if it does this.

allan5oh 09-22-2007 06:13 PM

leaking air/air, yes a dirty air filter can cause them to go higher. Any type of charge air leak.

You can't really hurt a computer controlled engine, it just wont allow you to.