Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   LED Turn signal problems (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/25702-led-turn-signal-problems.html)

JBA 03-18-2007 06:56 PM

LED Turn signal problems

I just replaced the old box type front turn signal/running lights on my KW T800 with new l.e.d types. The installation went fine. My problem is that the left and right turn signals front and rear will not work. The 4-ways work fine and the running lights work. Could this be the flasher? I wasn't sure since the 4-ways work. Thanks for any help. 8)

Kranky 03-18-2007 07:12 PM

LED's don't draw much current compared to regular incandescent bulbs.

The draw may not be enough to make the flasher cycle properly.

With the 4 ways on the total current draw may be enough to cycle the flasher.

JBA 03-18-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splitshifter

That's true. Is there a flasher or something that would correct this problem? Thanks for the reply!

Kranky 03-18-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBA
Quote:

That's true. Is there a flasher or something that would correct this problem? Thanks for the reply!

Try a Grote #44891 flasher - it's designed to work with LED lights.
(that's the 2 pin style which I would assume your truck has, however if you have the 3 pin flasher it would be a Grote # 44890)

Bobby 03-18-2007 10:40 PM

Depends on how new the truck is ? My 01 KW doesn't have a flasher like older trucks. I'm not sure how it flashes ?? Solid state ?

I also replaced my square type fender lights with some I got off of ebay. I was real happy with them.
I had to wire them in ( not plug in) but I didn't have any problems.
The rears are LED also. Their a good safety feature.

Edit: my truck does have 4 rear lights, two oval up above and the grote style square ones with the back up lights built in, .their a new Led style too.
I do get a weird double flash from the fender lights and the ovals in the rear. It's a short flash that's instantly followed by a regular flash, it didn't do that before, But it's kinda cool and gets your attention.

JBA 03-18-2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBA
Quote:

Try a Grote #44891 flasher - it's designed to work with LED lights.
(that's the 2 pin style which I would assume your truck has, however if you have the 3 pin flasher it would be a Grote # 44890)

Thanks for the info. I purchased a 2 pin flasher online that should do the trick.

JBA 03-18-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby
Depends on how new the truck is ? My 01 KW doesn't have a flasher like older trucks. I'm not sure how it flashes ?? Solid state ?

I also replaced my square type fender lights with some I got off of ebay. I was real happy with them.
I had to wire them in ( not plug in) but I didn't have any problems.
The rears are LED also. Their a good safety feature.

Edit: my truck does have 4 rear lights, two oval up above and the grote style square ones with the back up lights built in, .their a new Led style too.
I do get a weird double flash from the fender lights and the ovals in the rear. It's a short flash that's instantly followed by a regular flash, it didn't do that before, But it's kinda cool and gets your attention.

The flasher should be located under the dash to the left of the steering wheel column in a pull down compartment (2 screws) in front of the fuse panel. I spoke with a guy who had the same problem (no signals, Quick blinking) and he said that a led type flasher would clear things up for me. I'll let you know how it works.

Bobby 03-19-2007 12:44 AM

Thanks, I'll check for a flasher in that location.

What year is your KW ?

JBA 03-19-2007 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby
Thanks, I'll check for a flasher in that location.

What year is your KW ?

I own a 2001 t800

03-25-2007 02:12 PM

My guess is that you wired the new lights up wrong. You can wire those lights up so you get different results as in one thing working and something else doesn't. I just went through this on my truck replacing the directional lights.
If your 4-ways work then your flasher is good.