User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Rear axle reconfiguration

I've been working on trucks and trailer for awhile now and I'm kinda curious as to why no one has ever put a rear end on the trailer axles? Wouldn't it save your tires and also eliminate the need for a dump vavle?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Senior Board Member

I take it you mean a differential when you say "rear end"? If So you don't need a diff or any gears back there because the tires are already free to turn at different speeds when cornering. I think you're thinking that both sides are turning on the same shaft but they're not, they are on individual hubs.
Some time watch a trailer when the driver is making a hard U turn, the tires on the right side may be going forward while the left side can be going backwards.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 02-11-2017, 02:31 AM
Senior Board Member

I missed the part where you said "dump valve" so I assume your talking about a spread axle? Ifso the tire are being dragged sideways in a hard turn and even being on separate hubs that doesn't cure the problem nor would a diff, What might would be a castor type arrangement kinda like on a shopping cart or the front lift axle on those heave trash hauling trailers.
Feel free to perfect and patten a design and make a million.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 02-11-2017, 03:11 AM
Board Icon

Could be a weight thing. Rear ends weigh a heck of a lot more than dump valves. More weight on the equipment leads to a lighter load and less of a payday. It may seem small but for bigger companies it adds up real fast on lost revenue.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
I missed the part where you said "dump valve" so I assume your talking about a spread axle? Ifso the tire are being dragged sideways in a hard turn and even being on separate hubs that doesn't cure the problem nor would a diff, What might would be a castor type arrangement kinda like on a shopping cart or the front lift axle on those heave trash hauling trailers.
Feel free to perfect and patten a design and make a million.
Thank you I didn't know the tires were on separated hub assemblies. Which means a diff. would make no difference. Thanks for the input