LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Spindle Repair

I have a trailer that apparently had a bad bearing. The fluid was somehow lost and the hub cover was broken. Anyway, the spindle was damaged and I will either need to replace it or find someone who can repair it. I have heard of a company in Atlanta, I believe, that can repair them. It would be good if I could find someone closer to Chattanooga, TN. I need to call around for a spindle tomorrow, but would appreciate it if someone knows of a company that can repair them or if they know anyone who has had a spindle repaired.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Back when the wife and I pulled for Burlington, we came out of Portland, OR and on the way up top "Dead Man's Pass", we were hearing about a trailer throwing sparks. We tried to find out just what truck it was, but no one would say. At the rest area, at the top, we stopped and checked. We were it. Rear axle, right side bearing.

The bearing's inner race had spun and fused itself to the spindle. It wasn't a matter of replacing the spindle. It was a matter of replacing the whole axle. Then, we also found out that Burlington had a "spring ride axle" on an air-ride trailer. I don't know what it cost, and it probably wouldn't matter anyhow. I'm sure prices have changed since 2000, and our work was done on the weekend, at overtime rates.

But, you might want to check the part number on the little tag about the center of the axle and make sure it's the right part number for the trailer. A spring ride axle is lighter than an air-ride one because the suspension supports are located closer to the ends. Air-ride needs room for the air-bags and that puts the supports further away from the ends.

If the spindle has been heated up, it's possible that the metal is crystalized internally. But, I'm guessing that the inner race is also seized to the spindle. You may have to plan on replacing the whole axle. I haven't heard of replacing the spindle on the axle.

Don't know who does that sort of thing in your area. I know that there is a repair shop behind the truck stop on I-10, about midway between Mobile, AL and the FL State Line. But, if you're looking around Atlanta, that would be a bit far to drag it. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Thanks for the input, Stan. It would be a little far from me. I found two companies that can make the repairs on my spindle that are closer. Both are about 100 miles or so from me. I did find a local company, but they never got back with me. The one that I decided on was recommended by two companies with whom I have previously done business. It is a bit pricey, but will still be less expensive than buying an entire axle. The down side is that they cannot do anything until Wednesday.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Usually axle repairs are mobile. Check shops that specialize in front end repairs. I'm pretty sure they first check to see if it can be fixed (like previously stated, metal fatigue) then they actually weld a bunch of material then machine it off. I have a bit of spindle wear on my front axle on the bottom, I'll be doing this soon as well.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The only ones that I have found have mobile units that come to the truck. I found out that they started franchising out of Tennessee. I suppose they are all over the country. It is one of those things that you don't pay much attention to unless you need their service.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Franchise all over called axle doctors. Welding up and re-machining is good to get rid of the trailer. Any competent shop can put a new spindle on.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Just had this done a few weeks ago in Ohio, it was Axle surgeons, came out and did it right at the truckstop I was at, 800 bucks, took him 3 hours, told me he does 3 or 4 a day, told me Chinese bearings, mine are grease packed, so no oil to leak out, outer bearing went, simple as that.

He cut off the spindle and laser aligned the new one and welded it on, easiest and fastest way, told me it would be stronger than original, interesting process to watch

Last edited by Maniac; 05-11-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

These people only took about 2 hours to do mine. I paid $740. I also had to put new brakes on the wheel and a couple of tires that were ruined when the wheel locked. Total cost for everything including bearings, seals, labor, etc., came to almost $1,600. It was a very expensive day. I am putting about 46,500 on the trailer in the morning, so I will find out how well it works.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
These people only took about 2 hours to do mine. I paid $740. I also had to put new brakes on the wheel and a couple of tires that were ruined when the wheel locked. Total cost for everything including bearings, seals, labor, etc., came to almost $1,600. It was a very expensive day. I am putting about 46,500 on the trailer in the morning, so I will find out how well it works.
Mine never locked up or slid the tires, just started to smoke, replaced the bearings and races, brakes , drum and tires survived,I grease packed the bearings again, and got one of those infra red temp sensors, just shoot it at the hub and get a temp reading, I now do it every tire check, takes a few minutes, all wheel temps are within 20 degrees of each other.

If one starts to get hot I will know it this time, thermometer was 30 bucks, worth while in my opinion
Old 05-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I got the trailer stuck in Indiana the day before and it poured for two days. I am thinking that when the trailer wheels got buried in the mud that it could have cracked the hub cover. It was missing when I saw the problem. I never saw any smoke, probably due to the pouring rain and with me being empty I didn't notice any drag. It is difficult to tell exactly what happened to cause the problem other than the oil leaking. But as hard as it was raining it would have washed any dripping oil from the hub. In any case, I plan on keeping a close eye on it for a while. I loaded yesterday afternoon and am at 80060 so I will need to burn a few gallons of fuel before crossing a scale to be legal. I will also need to make more fuel stops for this run. The equipment that I am hauling was supposed to weigh 46,500, but actually weighs 46,980. I usually don't haul anything that heavy, but am glad that I checked.

Last edited by GMAN; 05-13-2011 at 02:52 PM.