User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Engine Brake on a 2012 Maxforce

I'm in a company truck - 2012 International with the IH MaxForce engine. I've had engine brake problems since day 1 in this truck. It's been reprogrammed 3 times, but still the same.

Symptoms:
1 - When you tap the brake, it takes 6-10 seconds before the engine brake engages.
2 - When descending a hill, with the engine brake engaged, once the truck goes faster than 67mph, the engine brake turns itself off. As the truck slows back down (on it's own or by increased pressure on the service brake), when you get below 67mph, the engine brake turns back on.

It's been 2 months since the last reprogramming. Just wondering if they've figured out how to make it stay turned on when you actually need it and for it to turn on before you're already shifting again when coming to a stop.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Spoke to another one of our drivers today with the same truck/setup. International and Celadon have finally figured out what the problem was: International said that Celadon WANTED the trucks set up like that (for the engine brake to turn off when it hit the 'overspeed' setting, as well as the delay when you apply the brakes). WTF

Just have to get in to have it reprogrammed AGAIN. They also have to do a thorough inspection on the brakes - seems with their idiotic setup, they're frying a lot of brakes. Mine look/feel fine, but I'll have the pro's (don't laugh - they say they are) check em out.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Spoke to another one of our drivers today with the same truck/setup. International and Celadon have finally figured out what the problem was: International said that Celadon WANTED the trucks set up like that (for the engine brake to turn off when it hit the 'overspeed' setting, as well as the delay when you apply the brakes). WTF

Just have to get in to have it reprogrammed AGAIN. They also have to do a thorough inspection on the brakes - seems with their idiotic setup, they're frying a lot of brakes. Mine look/feel fine, but I'll have the pro's (don't laugh - they say they are) check em out.
my truck is the same way.. if the cruise switch is on the only way the jake will come on is if i put my foot on the brake. theres times i like it.. times i hate it.. just too damn lazy to get it in to cat to get it changed..
Old 02-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
2 - When descending a hill, with the engine brake engaged, once the truck goes faster than 67mph, the engine brake turns itself off. As the truck slows back down (on it's own or by increased pressure on the service brake), when you get below 67mph, the engine brake turns back on.
That sounds really dangerous, I hope you don't haul anything too heavy.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:36 AM
Senior Board Member

I just got in the 2012 ProStar w/the 13 Liter MaxxForce and the engine brake definitely takes getting used to....

Mine doesn't kick in till it hits 1750rpm (it's set at 64mph @ 1475rpm) so you sure got to drop a gear before heading down. I just lightly brake off and on down the incline and it'll hold that speed pretty close with no problems. If I need to hold it around 55, I'll drop it to 8th.

I've usually got 40k to 45k on my back.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictruckman View Post
That sounds really dangerous, I hope you don't haul anything too heavy.
its just annoying in my experience. in my situation i run hills with out the cruise switch on.. if it is it takes about 2 full seconds for the jake to kick in..
Old 02-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Board Regular

I don't know if I could get used to the idea that if I let myself get into a bad situation and managed to get over 67mph that I may not be able to slow down.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Senior Board Member

I was watching a video on youtube that international placed there. There are a lot of parameters you can set for the engine brake to follow. Some of the companies haven't a real clue how to have the parameters set or have some safety dept idiot putting in his two cents worth. It sure isn't your daddy's jake brake setup. And then saying Jake Brake is kind of misleading. The Jake Brake is an option over and above the standard Maxxforce engine brake. I would be willing to bet that most fleets are just sticking with the standard Maxxforce engine brake and not spec'ing the true jake brake.