User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Overhaul

I have a 2000 fld120 freightliner, 12.7 Detroit engine with a 1, 036,000 and counting,I used 1 gallon of Lucas at each oil changed (15,000) and i used about a gallon and a half of oil between changed. My question is I thinking of a complete overhaul versus buying another truck, would it be wise to have any type work on transmission, overall just looking for info on thing to include if I go this route.

Thx in Advance,

Vontrial
Old 02-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would not overhaul your transmission until it was necessary. On the other hand, you could have it checked at the same time as you do the engine overhaul. If it needs it then you could do it. If you are planning on going through the drive train and want to keep your truck you could go ahead and do the transmission and rears. That would take most of the expensive things out of the equation when it comes to anything major breaking down that could require a wrecker. You could probably do the engine, transmission and both rears for less than $20,000. You would essentially have a new truck. You could then go another million miles and not have to worry about making payments.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Senior Board Member

A gallon and a half every 15,000 miles really isn't much. Any other reason that you're doing the overhaul? If in doubt, spend the $150 to throw it on the dyno and see how she does. I agree with GMAN, if you're not having issues, there isn't really a reason to dive into everything else. Any labor savings that go along with combining component rebuilds will be pretty negligible. Of course, if you have the money sometimes it's nice just to do everything all at once and know nothing will have to be touched for awhile...that's usually my preference.