User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 02:57 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerley View Post
How about the engine mounts were they the same? Or you swapped them from the fld? Sounds like it wasn't to hard. I was worried I would have to swap the harness from one truck to the other.
Cat, Cummins and Detroit will all mount in the same holes. The Cummins had a 1" spacer under the front mount in the FLD that I had to leave out when I put it in the Classic. All holes lined right up.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Rookie

havn't had a problem with my detroit & it has egr.i get 6.5 mpg heavy 7.5-8 light
Old 12-14-2012, 02:05 AM
Rookie
Default Cummins N14 & Detroit Series 60 both good engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcr1016 View Post
I am looking at trucks and mainly looking at the engine that is reliable, easy to maintain, and inexpensive parts. No Kitty Cats for me. I have an RV with a Cummins b-Series and simple to work on since it is a 94 mechanical. The engine/ truck will be from the mid to late 90s.

What engine would those of you prefer and had experience with?? I see the injectors alone on the N14 are an arm and a leg. On my B-series Cummins they are expensive too. But how are the Detroits? I do LOVE the sound of the Series 60. Ahh hell I just love diesel sounds, but not Chevy or Ford.
From my experience I think they are both some of the most reliable diesel engines out there. I have seen Detroits go 2 million miles before having to be overhauled. N14 are very reliable as well. Both engines have lots of reasonably priced OEM quality American Aftermarket Parts readily available. I would definitley stick with the pre EGR 12.7 liter Detroits. And stick with N14 E celect plus over say the newer, more problematic Cummins ISX engine. If any one needs parts at really good prices send me a message!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjammin' Penguin View Post
I outran owner/ops uphill at 79,580(at least until 68mph).
Just out of curiosity... Could you give me an example of the "hill", that you could claim, maxed out, at over 68mph?
And on topic...Kinda "chicken and egg" question....
Old 12-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Rookie

Both are good engines,,a plus with the N14 is you have 3 cylinder heads rather than one on the detroit,, N14 is cheaper to maintain,,both beat a CAT,,CATs are expensive to repair .Injector for the N14 are not too expensive,,my last N14 I replaced them at 900,000 miles and only because I had one go bad so I decided at 900,000 miles to go ahead and replace them all. Stay away from Volvos and Mecerdes,,you can get a detroit of cummins fixed anywhere not the sane with Volvo or Mercedes,,CAT parts are cost a lot more,,
Old 12-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, with the 500hp 12.7 pre-egr Detroits, you have to use a little more brainwave activity than the OEM seems to have. Before dropping in the rebuilt DDEC IV 500 hp engine I have now, we replaced the stock exhaust manifold with a ported/polished/coated one. We took off the stupid wastegate turbo and put on a larger Borg Warner 171702 non-wastegate turbo, and wrapped a turbo blanket around that. And we put Walker Megaflow mufflers on the stacks. We let that engine get rid of it's waste and b-r-e-a-t-h. For the intake side, we dumped the stock Donaldson and put on a Fleet Air Filter. Nice egt's, very good fuel mileage, and will walk with most everyone on the hills. Great looking oil samples and uses only about a quart of oil in 20,000 miles. Yep, quart, not gallon.

This one, along with a 1996 N-14 Celect I had at one time are the best engines I have ever dealt with. An ISX I had before this one really soured me on Cummins products. When it worked, it worked great. But when it had a hiccup, it was a wallet buster. Cummins is sure proud of their parts and price them pretty high. A VGT turbo for the ISX was $3600 (before core charge), just sitting on the parts counter, when I had to replace it. I put on the Borg Warner 171702 turbo on the Detroit for a whopping $689.... cost, shipping, everything, and no core charge.

Last edited by Copperhead; 12-27-2012 at 03:30 PM.