User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question I hope I'm in the correct section for this

I need to know or would like to know where I can obtain software for the ECM to turn the speed limit settings up and down on the truck. What kind and how much, if not can I get it for free somewhere on a download or what? I heard the DDDL was it 6.4/7.03 but I am not sure, they would ramble off to other subjects, thanks.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Board Regular

The software is proprietary. i.e. you have to get it from Cat Cummins, Detroit, etc. You also have to have an interface module. Like these... Nexiq us - View Product

Its all pretty expensive. Sometimes you can find the prolink on ebay for around $600
Old 02-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Rookie

I've done a little research on this but haven't found the information that I'm looking for yet. I know about the Detroit Diesel Diagnostic Link 6.4/7.03. This is what I have been told to purchase for the ecm speed limit settings on the big rigs. One distributor told me $1,700 for two discs and the cable for all years, and then another out of Houston told me $2,850 for one disc and cable. I just want to change speed limit settings for drivers is all I want to do at an inexpensive price or even better no price. Also if it has an instruction guide or step by step guide on how to install and use would be a bonus. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Rookie

Actually how about this question, is there a website that offers free downloads for software for ecm speed limit settings for detroit diesel dd 13,15 and mbe 900,4000? FREE? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Rookie

If you don't want to put out the money to buy the software and hardware your only other option is to go to a Detroit shop and have them do it. They will probably charge an ECM hookup fee + time spent. Could be anywhere from 50-150 bucks or more. Just call around and ask.
I doubt if you will find any free way to do it unless you know someone with the proper hardware/software. If the ecm has a password you will also need to know what that is.

If these are newer units you might check to see if there's any campaigns for updating the ecm software. That would probably be covered under warranty and you could ask them to change the speed while they're doing it.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinmeeok View Post
Actually how about this question, is there a website that offers free downloads for software for ecm speed limit settings for detroit diesel dd 13,15 and mbe 900,4000? FREE? Thanks.

I don't think you're going to have much luck acquiring proprietary software for free. If you do, it will require a key to register. If you get over that hurdle, you'll still need an interface cable, and ATA 6- or 9-pin Deutsch connectors to communicate with the ecm. Shop techs can have enough difficulty making this whole process work WITH oem support.

Another option might be a pro-link scan tool, if a cartridge is available to support your software level. They are generally reverse compatible for older engines, but not forward compatible to the new. These cartridges are expensive... and, are purchased in addition to the scan tool.

If you are looking to change parameters on your own rig, your local shop can do it for a reasonable fee... you can adjust those parameters MANY times before you hit the 2 grand it would cost to set yourself up to do it legitimately.

If you have a fleet of DD15s (etc.), and are looking to adjust many, see your engine distributor, they will often help you out. Also, they may have a fleet version available.

If you are a company driver looking to crank your truck wide open, and make a few bucks doing others as well ; ), be aware that all ecm tampering is recorded for future retrieval (I.e. - the boss WILL find out).
Old 02-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Rookie

I'm just trying to make a few bucks quick is why I'm asking this question. There aren't any coders or something that know how to decode detroit or any of the other manuafacturers? I'm sure there are because if some kids can change a road sign for construction in Texas someone has to know about the software for big trucks. I was just asking around to see if someone know something is all. Thank you.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I'm just trying to make a few bucks quick is why I'm asking this question. There aren't any coders or something that know how to decode Detroit or any of the other manufacturers? I'm sure there are

Forget it, the manufacturers are VERY protective of their software, you MUST be an authorized Cat, Cummins or Detroit shop to get it,even the techs CANNOT purchase it, whatever those distributors are selling you is NOT what you are looking for.

The Cat shop that I usually go to has to get MY password, from Cat every time I want something changed, not only is it MY own truck, but it is LONG out of warranty, a "simple" change like you want to do can possibly void the warranty, depending on who does it, and who finds it, like Bob H on here said. it WILL leave a footprint.

Most companies will fire a driver who tampers with anything on "their" truck, especially the speed limiter, it will show up in fuel usage right away.

The engine manufacturers are VERY VERY protective of their software, matter of fact there are "heavy hauler" specs for a C-15 Cat and they WILL NOT put them in unless YOU PROVE you are a heavy hauler, why? because it changes emission settings, and they (insert engine builder here) can be heavily fined by the EPA.

Quote:
I'm just trying to make a few bucks quick

Try something else
Old 02-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Senior Board Member